Ballroom Dance Instruction Feedback

Started by tkdteo, May 27, 2008, 08:02:01 PM

tkdteo

Hey everyone.  I was one of the dance instructors for the B&W Ball and was wondering how the dance lessons went? Just wanted to get an idea to see if there are any suggestions as far as lessons go and what not.  I don't care if the comments are negative or positive, I just want to know if people had a good time and if there is anything I can improve on.

I had a blast teaching everyone and it was great being back at Fanime after being gone for a while.  Thanks to everyone who came out.  ;)
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Raedyn

Whoever taught the waltz lessons was rather inefficient.  She took the whole hour and a half to teach something that vaguely resembled a box step and attempted to demonstrate a basic turn (which she called "Viennese waltz") when she could have easily taught us the full box step, properly taught us a natural turn, and a few more steps, like the promenade or chasse, neither of which being that hard at all.  I would seriously teach them myself next year, and dancing is just a hobby for me.  She didn't even stress the importance of keeping proper posture--in fact, she said something along the lines of "it's all right to loosen up", which I never heard in a single lesson I took, even informal ones.

Posture, according to my teacher, keeps dancers from dancing onto their partners' feet--at the ball I actually had to tell several of my partners to at least keep their hands at my shoulder blade if they weren't going to exert any sort of pressure on it because we had shifted too close or misstepped.  Luckily I was wearing closed toe ballroom pumps instead of sandals or ballet slippers, but it still wasn't any fun.

I was wondering where the tango lessons went as well--I barely remember eights and it would have been nice to refresh my memory of the basics.
Costumes:

Rinoa Heartilly (Ballroom Attire) (Final Fantasy VIII). 95%

Rinoa Heartilly (Hand-Knit) (Final Fantasy VIII).  90%

Karla (Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken).  20%

tkdteo

Thanks for the feedback. If I do teach again next year (and I will definitely try) I will take those things into consideration.  I was the male instructor that was teaching and there were some differences in teaching styles and dances taught.  When I was teaching Waltz, I was focusing on the box step, a turn, and traveling down the dance floor.  It was the regular Waltz and not the Viennese Waltz; all I knew was I was supposed to be teaching Waltz.  In the classes I taught I was going over the dance holds and postures.  Hopefully next year things will be better.

But despite all the changes, my understanding was that the ball this year was bigger and better than last.  The room was bigger but it was still a little bit challenging to fit everyone in there. I don't think they quite expected that many people to turn up.  But from what I did hear, the lessons went over well for Fanime Con goers and most had a nice time at the B&W Ball. 
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Tsuzusushi

I was super, SUPER excited about the dance lessons this year, but in the end after just one (the waltz taught by the female instructor) my friends and I were so turned off that we completely avoided the rest of them.  The young lady did a good job explaining the dress code and I think her firmness made a lot of people make sure to dress properly for the event, but her actual dance lesson was very disappointing.

I've taken several basic dance classes, and while I'm no expert, I know a fair amount of what I'm doing but I was still incredibly confused for most of the lesson.  I can understand not stressing posture and lifting with absolute beginners.  However, I think that stressing that the leader must almost ALWAYS start on the left, and the follower on the right, is every bit as important as teaching line of dance.  She said several times that one could start on either foot, and made some comment about handedness which I've never heard in any of my classes.  This ended in a lot of stomped-on followers at the actual event.  (Gentlemen, be gracious and let the lady start on her right - you can't both start on the same foot.)

Moreover, I have to agree that the class was very inefficient.  In an hour and a half we barely learned two steps and even those didn't make much sense.  I can't pass judgment on the series of classes as a whole since I only went to one, but the one I went to...well, I've said my piece.

I really, really do appreciate that there were dance lessons at all, and it was wonderful of the instructors to volunteer their time...but maybe a little more structure, or a professional instructor next year?  I for one would pay a few dollars to get in if I knew I was going to get a quality lesson.

OniCourseMusha

I was helping out assisting other people at the lesson on friday and sunday based on what I learned from my ballroom class.  I kind of agreed that the box step is more important to be taught at the lesson than the basic turn.  Basic turn seemed a bit tricky although it looks fun.

I enjoyed helping other people wit their form and demonstrate some of the technique I've been at in my ballroom class that I'm planning on taking a class again and help other people in the room.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

outcast

I should of taken some of the lessons. I'm definitely going to some of them next year.

FemmeFatale

I spaced out and missed waltz, but I had a lot of fun at the other two lessons. The instructors did an awesome job considering the number of people to keep on track.

Swing:
I guess this is a hard one to teach because it's a lot of improv. It would have been nice to learn a few more steps. It was also slightly chaotic, but nature of the dance?

Two-step:
I liked the definite leader and follower parts, so the way it was taught was very logical and efficient. I probably enjoyed this one more because we got in like 4 or so moves so it made the dancing more varied. I'd just have to say that the music was sort of cheesy, but I don't know enough to make any better suggestions.

I'll definitely stop by next year! Thanks for the fun.

G-Force

I only went to the Waltz lesson on Saturday and I found the class very helpful as the instructor was quiet efficent with his teaching. I noticed a lot of people complaining about the Waltz lessons and I don't see why. Maybe I'm talking about a different class then.

tkdteo

There were two ballroom dance instructors for the convention.  There was a female one, and a male one (me).  I know the other instructor taught Swing and Waltz.  I taught Waltz, Foxtrot, Salsa, Cha Cha and Two Step.  The Waltz that I taught was the regular Waltz (aka slow waltz) while the other instructor taught the Viannese Waltz (fast waltz) which is a little more advanced. 

Thanks for the feed back so far everyone.  Keep it coming! :)

2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor