What would you guys want done this year?! 2009

Started by the otaku god, May 26, 2008, 08:48:37 PM

the otaku god

Hi Everyone,
Well another FanimeCon has come and gone! There were tons of great times and few bad times. With that said its time to hear what you have to say. What did you think of the new video main room, Anime selection, Movies, new video events, ect....? I am all ears also most of all I would love to heart what we did right as well so I can have some good with the bad.
I hope to hear from you soon!
is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? is it like the hand of god hovering above? at least it is true that man has no control, even over his own destiny.

Mordyan

I liked what I got to watch in the video rooms. Video Main was huge! It was awesome for the really popular showings.

My complaint is not late starts, which happen, but with the early starts. Some of the rooms I was in, I watched them just start the next anime or movie when it wasn't time to yet. I also showed up to three different rooms and the video/anime I wanted to watch had already started.

The main example I can site was the 8 o'clock showing of Sakiyuki Western Django. I arrived 15 minutes early and the movie had already been on for at least 15 minutes (this is only an esimate). So it had started about 1/2 hour early. That really sucked because I really liked the rest of the movie.

Con goers have to rely on the programing schedules. Late starts I can usually deal with, but early? The rooms need to stick to the schedule or it pointless. No one can plan their con if they have to guess when a show is gonna start.

KithKanan

Fanime '08 was awesome.  If possible though, please bring back Fanboy Bebop for '09.  My convention experience just isn't quite the same without The Best Anime Ever. =)
Kickin' it Old-skool.

BunofGovt

Quote from: Mordyan on May 26, 2008, 10:52:33 PM
I liked what I got to watch in the video rooms. Video Main was huge! It was awesome for the really popular showings.

My complaint is not late starts, which happen, but with the early starts. Some of the rooms I was in, I watched them just start the next anime or movie when it wasn't time to yet. I also showed up to three different rooms and the video/anime I wanted to watch had already started.

The main example I can site was the 8 o'clock showing of Sakiyuki Western Django. I arrived 15 minutes early and the movie had already been on for at least 15 minutes (this is only an esimate). So it had started about 1/2 hour early. That really sucked because I really liked the rest of the movie.

Con goers have to rely on the programing schedules. Late starts I can usually deal with, but early? The rooms need to stick to the schedule or it pointless. No one can plan their con if they have to guess when a show is gonna start.

I must have been at the encore showing of Sukiyaki Western Django.  I came in with about 30 minutes left to the end of the film.  As the last fight was about to start, someone came in and told the staffer and viewers that the movie was going to be stopped right then because the films were running overtime.  Needless to say, we were upset that we couldn't finish the film.

Without knowing how it happened that the films were running overtime (incorrect running times listed on the films?  2 hour blocks not enough time?  One film delayed which screwed up the rest of the schedule?), my only suggestion is to either remove one film so the others following can get back on the correct schedule (and therefore run the wrath of congoers who wanted to see that ONE film);

OR skip into the next film by about 20 minutes or however much time you need to catch up.  Have someone who knows the story give a brief synopsis of the story up to that point and then play the rest of the film.  At least you'll get to see the ending.

My only other problem was that the films I wanted to see (even with encore showings) clashed with other events, etc.  Darn.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

BenihimeSama

Better Yaoi.. I mean the stuff they had was good.. But if you ever attended Yaoi-Con, you can see it there. So maybe some newer hotter Yaoi would be nice?
Venus Benihime-Sama
Panelist Since 2008
Panels Staff Member since 2010
Proud member of Rena's Rangers! 

Owner of The Geeky Manifestos Blog
Just admit it: Otakus just do it better.

Dragon Ninja

Could there be more dub showings? I really don't feel like reading the screen all the time. Besides, I like dubs more.

Fanime 2013:
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto Shippuden)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
The 9th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Downloads & Fansubs are evil. Support the Anime industry. Buy DVDs NOW

Dorimon

My only complain was some features were not shown due to majority's request to play thier favored series instead. They should stick to the shows listed & not what people saw on the hard drive  :-\. This is a chronic occurance every year...

Kaura117

Quote from: Dragon Ninja on June 02, 2008, 11:32:35 PM
Could there be more dub showings? I really don't feel like reading the screen all the time. Besides, I like dubs more.

Man, I dunno what t' tell ye, mate, but you're almost definitely in the minority on this one.

mlarad

This was my first time attending Fanime and I have to say I was impressed on how well is organized and I was very pleased with the video rooms that there were. Specially since they were in the convention center all night long I think this con has the best I have seen so far in three years of attending anime cons.

I only have one suggestion, when I attended the AMV contest on Sunday I noticed there weren't as many attendees as in other events. I think the main reason was because it was not given a priority as a main event although it was appointed as one. I think the AMV contest should last longer and have a proper schedule like the other main events.

satanic_mechanic

organize rooms by specific genre - cutesy pootsie stuff in one room, while you have violent samurai action in another. also, classify by parenthesis in the schedule what kind of anime it is (action, drama, etc.) that would help.
"I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life...to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." -HD Thoreau

Rhornez

Quote from: Kaura117 on June 04, 2008, 05:50:54 PM

Man, I dunno what t' tell ye, mate, but you're almost definitely in the minority on this one.
agree i prefer good voice acting than bad ones besides reading is good for u >=D

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

rude32

A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

lyricaldanichan

Quote from: satanic_mechanic on June 07, 2008, 01:10:07 AM
organize rooms by specific genre - cutesy pootsie stuff in one room, while you have violent samurai action in another. also, classify by parenthesis in the schedule what kind of anime it is (action, drama, etc.) that would help.

We did that a few years ago, it didn't work out as well as just setting up blocks of anime like we did this year.

iKuraudo

I liked some of the viewing for Fanime '08, but a lot of it was what I saw the previous year.
I would like to see some more Japanese Versions of Anime than this year. (Hopefully some anime that is not in the US yet. Like in Transit.)

Maybe bring back that Naruto thing, where they made fun of it. That was so funny...

kazutoXakinafangirl

Im with him on reading the screen al the time. It hurts my eyes all the time. And when I close my eyes, I have idea what theyre saying >:(

Steve.Young

Quote from: kazutoXakinafangirl on September 08, 2008, 06:59:00 PM

Im with him on reading the screen al the time. It hurts my eyes all the time. And when I close my eyes, I have idea what theyre saying >:(

You two are still in the minority. Like .001% of the population and that is being very generous.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

punk_parfait

I don't have complaints about what Fanime has done in the past but I do have some requests! For one, I personally like seeing new anime I've never even heard of rather than the same "fan-favorites" again. I may be the only one but more new titles would be awesome. Also, 18+ Yaoi at night would be amazing much like the hentai room has it's hardcore title viewing time. I hear this may or may not have already gone on, if it's already in the works, all the better for me!

lyricaldanichan

Quote from: punk_parfait on October 01, 2008, 01:07:10 PM
I don't have complaints about what Fanime has done in the past but I do have some requests! For one, I personally like seeing new anime I've never even heard of rather than the same "fan-favorites" again. I may be the only one but more new titles would be awesome. Also, 18+ Yaoi at night would be amazing much like the hentai room has it's hardcore title viewing time. I hear this may or may not have already gone on, if it's already in the works, all the better for me!

Apparently you haven't gone to fanimecon because we have been showing new anime and 18+ Yaoi for several years.

I am guessing this is the first time you are going to fanimecon ? 

Raymei

It seems like the biggest problem (and I had this too) was the videos not being shown according to schedule.

I actually was very upset because I spent about 40 minutes waiting for the second SGT Frog movie only to find out they were showing another One Piece movie (a previous one had just finished -- I saw the end from the outside while waiting) when I went into sit down.

--This was only as particularly upsetting as it was because the first thing my brothers and I did at this first Fanime we visited ever (lawls) was watch the first SGT Frog movie and had a blast.  It really set the tone for the rest of the con (thank you so much, by the way, fantastic weekend), and this was sort of to be the last thing we did together (since by the last day we had sorta shot off in our own directions).--

I think the staff should be prepared to tell people "You came here to watch this, this is what's being watched" if the problem was that people saw what was on the hard drive and took over the programming  T_T;  which I can totally see happening... 
I can understand an audience telling you to do something is pretty intimidating, but they apparently didn't think of the later consequences of how it affects the rest of the day's schedule.

As for the dubs/subs, I can see both sides.
I prefer subtitles, but in those rooms it can sometimes be hard to see them.  Most of my problems in actually watching the movie was that either a really tall guy, really big guy, or a cosplay piece was blocking the subtitles.  And you couldn't really lean or raise your head high enough to catch it without pissing someone off.
If anything, maybe we could afford to make the screen a biii~iit smaller so we could raise the bottom to a viewable height? 

GeniusAlways

I really didn't like how around late night in one of the rooms they just had a constant repeat of J-pop and j-rock music videos it gets really boring really quick  :(
they so coulda dedicated that room to a marathon of short anime series so there was more of a variety to watch in those rooms.