Fanime-Con 2008...dissapointing?

Started by crystalsoul, May 28, 2008, 05:24:39 PM

crystalsoul

Im not sure if im the only one who is feeling this, but i left Fanime this year feeling dissapointed....Im not completely sure why either, it just did....like it was lacking somthing that last years con had O_o

Did anyone else have this feeling? cause all my friends said the same thing..."Last years con was better"

Hylia

NO SIGNATURE OH SHIT
(Arigato)Alex

SOawesomeness

My personal opinion is similar as well... but I think it was just because I was uberly excited that year more than this year because I didn't know what to expect much then than now.
This year, Fanime offered a lot of things, but it felt just really impersonal, I thought... probably because there were too many people for me (I get claustrophobic around lots of people...).
(:
This year was cool too, though. I met a lot of new people and I'm looking forward to meeting more next year. I have a feeling that next year will be better, this year was still experimental in terms of what I thought I wanted to attend and what I will for sure attend for the next year.
(: Looking forward to '09.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Steve.Young

Working safety, it lacked the drama it had last year. Heh
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

TehGrandPa

Quote from: Steve.Young on May 28, 2008, 05:34:00 PM

::agrees::

you know i saw my fair share of drama this year. not like last year. not comparable.
~TehGrandPa

Glitch

What? Did u not see jesus confront the protestors? XD
All kidding aside, I guess it's up to personal perception. For me the opposite was true. Last year kind of dragged, while this year I had a blast.

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: Steve.Young on May 28, 2008, 05:34:00 PM
That probably was it.

I know I felt like I couldn't just goof of like previous years. >.>;

Of course for me, I was staying far away so it was a bummer that I couldn't wander late at night as much. I didn't feel safe going back by myself to the hotel. >.>;

But nonetheless it was fun; slightly different fun but fun. All cons are slightly different anyways.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Hylia

I think Fanime is as great as you make it. I went there with fairly bad conditions.
I went alone
With my Hotel miles away
Knew NOBODY that was going

Bunch of stuff happened, ended up meeting a good 8-9 people and having the greatest time of my life.
Last time I went, I went with my girlfriend at the time.. .. And that was really, REALLY bad.
Really bad.
Bad.

Jesus Vrs. Fanatics was AWESOME.
<3 you Jesus.
NO SIGNATURE OH SHIT
(Arigato)Alex

bahamutknightzero

Not sure about some people but I think this year's Fanime was WAY better than 2007. (Last year felt like something was "missing", while this year felt fun despite some misques)

Kaura117

Quite the opposite experience for me this year, actually, and I'll tell you why: I hung out with a HELL of a lot more people this year.

That's all there is to it- the company you keep makes all the difference. That, and- of course- your own interaction with the con.

Tony

Quote from: crystalsoul on May 28, 2008, 05:24:39 PM
Im not sure if im the only one who is feeling this, but i left Fanime this year feeling dissapointed....Im not completely sure why either, it just did....like it was lacking somthing that last years con had O_o
More cowbell.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

iNSOMNiAC

It definitely varies from person to person... While all of my friends agree with each other that they had way more fun this year than any other year, it was the opposite for me. Its not that I didn't have fun this year, I just think the previous years I've attended seemed to leave me with a more fulfilled feeling, and a deep longing to turn back time and do it all over again.
This year, I don't particularly miss it like I usually do... Instead, I'm just pumped up for the next Fanime to roll around.

Squeeky_Moonkin

This year was my first fanime. It had its up and downs, but over all way more ups. There were awesome music panels and an all night music vid room for jrock. Dude jrock form the 80's at 3am is was a mind trip. I had my friend introduced to that of which is hard gay. SCORE!!!!. I won a price from shojou beat and My friend and I along with other cosplayers will be featured in one of their issues. I picto-chatted for the first time. Dude,  the L who approached my friend and I one night while picto-chatting rocked. She was so creepy and cool. ZOMG san jose at 3am is like grand theft auto...no joke. I have so many good memories. There was alot to do and the con was so casual I didn't feel overwhelmed. I really enjoyed fanime. My biggest beef was getting sick the day before the con and being sick during the whole con ;_;.

edendreams

The only thing disappointing for me was the dealer's room I felt last year had a lot more. And i was sad to see cosworx wasn't there!

a little art by me ^-^

sykoeent

Dissappointed?
My only dissappointment was not attending the whole event!
This was my first time attending, and I only was available for Sunday. So many people recommended this con to me and I always was too busy to attend. I was able to attend this year cos my cuz was graduating the day before in Sacramento. So, I made some arrangements and was finally able to attend! I was so stoked that I went that I will be coming next year for sure!
;D ;D ;D

rude32

Quote from: edendreams on May 28, 2008, 07:22:02 PM
The only thing disappointing for me was the dealer's room I felt last year had a lot more. And i was sad to see cosworx wasn't there!
For a second there, I thought I was the only one who noticed this. I was beginning to think it was just in my head or they crushed the vendors even closer together. Other than that, this fanime rawkd so much more than last year. I think that you get what you put out. Last year I didn't do as much as I did this year.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

VampireAlucard

Quote from: Squeeky_Moonkin on May 28, 2008, 06:48:23 PM
ZOMG san jose at 3am is like grand theft auto...no joke.
Seriously, you're not kidding one bit. Our group went to Jack in the Box at about 1:30 AM or so Monday morning and we saw tons of police cars heading in one direction. We stopped to talk to one of the cops we saw while crossing the street and asked what happened and all he said was "A really big fight". It had to be a huge fight, down there street where he was standing there were lots of police cars and an ambulance.

Squeeky_Moonkin

Quote from: VampireAlucard on May 28, 2008, 09:25:24 PM
Quote from: Squeeky_Moonkin on May 28, 2008, 06:48:23 PM
ZOMG san jose at 3am is like grand theft auto...no joke.
Seriously, you're not kidding one bit. Our group went to Jack in the Box at about 1:30 AM or so Monday morning and we saw tons of police cars heading in one direction. We stopped to talk to one of the cops we saw while crossing the street and asked what happened and all he said was "A really big fight". It had to be a huge fight, down there street where he was standing there were lots of police cars and an ambulance.

dude there were flares on the road and cops everywhere and clubs out the wazooh and skanky women and scary thug like folk at jack n a crack, when I went.

K&K4ever

The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

heeroyuy135

It would be only disappointing because the con ended so quickly...I was on Monday like "It's already Monday?"