Fanime-Con 2008...dissapointing?

Started by crystalsoul, May 28, 2008, 05:24:39 PM

LordKefka

Those 5 days passed faster than when I was studying for finals just two weeks ago.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Jun-Watarase

Fanime is as great as you make it. It's possibly one of the most personal cons I've ever attended, in comparison to competing cons like AX. This year was a very successful year, and though some departments may have been lacking in comparison, you could tell that there was a lot of hard work being done to make it as successful as it turned out. Many things have improved, and while there were truckloads of things that went wrong, they all turned out pretty good, and while some things just ended up plain sucking, the support from all the fans that had attended made things all the better.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

AbsolutelyCursed

The only thing for me that was disappointing was the dealer's room. There just wasn't enough variety.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: AbsolutelyCursed on May 28, 2008, 11:22:09 PM
The only thing for me that was disappointing was the dealer's room. There just wasn't enough variety.

Yeah, I agree. The dealer's room wasn't as good this year.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

heeroyuy135

Also I had a dealer basically blow me off after I told them I found the same product for a lower price at another dealer...if anything, you want to hear that kind of thing so that you can lower prices and bring in more income. It would be a win-win situation for all of us!

shinjiboy

Asian films/cinema took a hit.  It seemed like this year, there were less movies to pick from.  Some, I noticed were repeats from last year or the year before.  Additionally, they lacked information on site.  Usually outside the rooms is a board, and on that board there is a small synopsis about the movie.  However, there was no such thing this year.  I guess Fanime expected us to walk around with our pamphlet. 

Musicfest has gone down too, but at least they are managing to bring in hit bands such as An Cafe.  But to repeat what someone earlier had said, there was a lot of work going into this con.  And a lot of work that goes into it every year.  That's what makes this event so memorable. 

Tenba

Quote from: shinjiboy on May 28, 2008, 11:34:41 PMI guess Fanime expected us to walk around with our pamphlet.
Is that a bad expectation?  We put the map in the program guide, and we put the program guide in an easy-to-carry bag.  Is there a reason why you don't want to carry your program guide and your registration bag around with you?

LordKefka

Speaking of the dealers room, I saw a PVC which was $14 cheaper with one guy compared to another guy. To be precise, it was a Strain PVC of Lotte. I bought it for $39. Two dealers down, I saw it for $25... I froze on the spot.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

zoupzuop2

Mm. Yeah, this year wasn't as good as last year for me, though that's not a huge margin of difference (meaning, '08 wasn't any "bad"; just not as good).

My biggest issue was mostly my own use of time. I spent less time with friends and acquaintances; in fact, I spent far too much time alone. That... put a damper on things. Next year... Fanimafia is more important than Karaoke (and, if Karaoke DOES work, then BRING! INSTRUMENTAL! ONLY! TRACKS!!!).
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Punkbuster

Being my first Fanime, I had a blast! I was really surprised how friendly alot of the people were. I didn't like the dealers' room AT ALL, except for one dealer that had a resin statue I've been hunting for the past year (Samus Aran <3). I was really impressed with the Artist Alley, and how centralized everything was. It's a great improvement since the last con I went to was AX06.

K&K4ever

The only thing that was disappointing was that there were six or eight Haruhi skits in the masquerade, using the exact same music and the exact same dance (I feel sorry for the last one though, having to go on and do the skit while people are yelling for it to stop)
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

Shinsengumi

Quote from: K&K4ever on May 29, 2008, 02:14:07 AM
The only thing that was disappointing was that there were six or eight Haruhi skits in the masquerade, using the exact same music and the exact same dance (I feel sorry for the last one though, having to go on and do the skit while people are yelling for it to stop)

I wanted to leave the masquerade but I stayed until the end
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

K&K4ever

I didn't get allot of sleep . . . but that's at almost every con.
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

Druix

I had an absolute blast (with the exception of the hotel losing our room and my sitar breaking T.T), but this year really wasn't as great as I had hoped it would be. The gatherings that I went to were rather uneventful, except the Naruto one. And the masquerade was.....well, awful compared to last year. There were a lot less good cosplays his year too, it looked like there were a TON of people that didn't even feel like putting real effort into anything...

2010 Cosplays:
~Sasuke Uchiha (Naruto: Shippuuden)
~Katara (Avatar Book 3)
~Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
~Cain (Starfighter)
~Sebastian (Kuroshitsuji)

FinalShadows

Let's see from the stuff I went to:

1) The Yuri Marathon didn't actually have Yuri (If it includes a guy's _____), its not Yuri.
2) The Black and White Ball was scheduled the same time as the AnCafe concert (Still went to the concert, but wanted to dance as well.)
3) The Yaoi Bingo on Friday got canceled ( I believe it was a mix up in schedules o_O)
4) Badges had to be in their big sleeve plastics (My friend couldn't go into the Raves without it.)

That is my rant for now  ;D
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

RoverRoy009

Quote from: Tony on May 28, 2008, 06:39:03 PM
Quote from: crystalsoul on May 28, 2008, 05:24:39 PM
Im not sure if im the only one who is feeling this, but i left Fanime this year feeling dissapointed....Im not completely sure why either, it just did....like it was lacking somthing that last years con had O_o
More cowbell.

If only we had Christopher Walken be a Guest of Honor next year.

That and I'll be tempted to use the Cowbell next year when I try again to control a line of 1500+ all by myself.

I'll say it again: this has been my BEST FanimeCon in over 10 years ... period.
If you love An Cafe, you can learn to love other An Cafe Fans... Now LINE UP!

blancoisma

Compared to last year, this Fanime was definitely much more fun. I have to agree that it really does have to do with everyone's personal view of things. Some will argue that the dealer's room lacked variety, while others will say they were able to find everything they wanted. ( In my case, I didn't find everything I wanted, and to me, there was much less variety. I mean, when you have money, and you can't find anything to buy, that says something )

The artist alley has grown so much. It was really fun going around browsing and meeting some awesome artists whos work I have seen before and have been a fan of. My only gripe is that I got this really uncomfortable feeling at times from certain artists that exuded this superiority, like they just thought I wasn't worthy of commenting and admiring their work. *shrugs* Maybe that was just me...

Last year I went alone, and that also contributed to it being not fun. This year I had awesome roomies, so they made it much more enjoyable. All in all, this year's con was awesome, small annoyances aside, I will definitely be returning next year.
"Well, I'm already going to hell for kissing you so I may as well take the scenic route."

-Aaron Davis, Latter Days

Raydere

No Orange Lounge Radio panel this year cut my enjoyment of Fanime by 25%.
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

aarondirebear

The Ramada sucked but you can't blame Fanime Con for that :)

RiotKitty

Quote from: shinjiboy on May 28, 2008, 11:34:41 PM
Asian films/cinema took a hit.  It seemed like this year, there were less movies to pick from.  Some, I noticed were repeats from last year or the year before.  Additionally, they lacked information on site.  Usually outside the rooms is a board, and on that board there is a small synopsis about the movie.  However, there was no such thing this year.  I guess Fanime expected us to walk around with our pamphlet. 

Musicfest has gone down too, but at least they are managing to bring in hit bands such as An Cafe.  But to repeat what someone earlier had said, there was a lot of work going into this con.  And a lot of work that goes into it every year.  That's what makes this event so memorable. 

i was thinking the same thing.. every year i at least watch one movie. not this year.. what was up with the movie selection?

other than that, me and my friends had a blast. we did notice things were run a lot more strict than in past years. i just hope in the future it won't take away the fun and excitment.
Nyo!