Fanime-Con 2008...dissapointing?

Started by crystalsoul, May 28, 2008, 05:24:39 PM

Ari

Quote from: Glitch on June 03, 2008, 08:28:15 PM
Quote from: Ari on June 03, 2008, 07:30:27 PM
Quote from: Glitch on May 28, 2008, 05:37:58 PM
What? Did u not see jesus confront the protestors? XD
All kidding aside, I guess it's up to personal perception. For me the opposite was true. Last year kind of dragged, while this year I had a blast.

Lol it was that complete same for me too. I had a blast this year and it kinda dragged last year, but this year i ended up going to panels... viewing rooms... etc. Lol i didn't buy as much as i usually do... but somehow i ended up spending a lot of money anyways... ;_;
Finding the right panels can really lift your spirits. All of a sudden you got a group of people to hang out with. That was the case for me with the cthulu for president, how to animate, and comedy panels.

Ok lol i dont wanna sound stupid but who is cthulu? My friend plays wow and yadda yadda, we all have no clue... >>'; But yes! Finding a panel where everyone has the same interest as you is what really makes it special... or just finding someone who is cosplaying as your favorite character and then hanging out. It's really about all the connections and thing you end up doing at the con.

I've decided this year that i will end up going to some of the upcoming fanime gatherings and hang with everyone from the forums. Making friends is always the hardest part... :)

Erin

Erin
Fan Services Co-Second

Glitch

Quote from: Ari on June 03, 2008, 08:57:49 PM
All kidding aside, I guess it's up to personal perception. For me the opposite was true. Last year kind of dragged, while this year I had a blast.

Lol it was that complete same for me too. I had a blast this year and it kinda dragged last year, but this year i ended up going to panels... viewing rooms... etc. Lol i didn't buy as much as i usually do... but somehow i ended up spending a lot of money anyways... ;_;
Finding the right panels can really lift your spirits. All of a sudden you got a group of people to hang out with. That was the case for me with the cthulu for president, how to animate, and comedy panels.

Ok lol i dont wanna sound stupid but who is cthulu? My friend plays wow and yadda yadda, we all have no clue... >>'; But yes! Finding a panel where everyone has the same interest as you is what really makes it special... or just finding someone who is cosplaying as your favorite character and then hanging out. It's really about all the connections and thing you end up doing at the con.

I've decided this year that i will end up going to some of the upcoming fanime gatherings and hang with everyone from the forums. Making friends is always the hardest part... :)
Quick description. Cthulu is a powerfull diety who sleeps at the bottom of the ocean. He was mentioned and appeared in stories written by HP Lovecraft. The panel Cthulu for president was hilarious because the guy running it said he was cthulu's campaign manager and took the role very seriously. We even got to ask questions. Such fun you'll only find at a con.
Again, moments like these make fanime great. This cheered me up even when I was pissed at my roommates. XD So make many friends at fanime. It's in the con rules!!

Ari

Quote from: Glitch on June 03, 2008, 09:12:44 PM

Quick description. Cthulu is a powerfull diety who sleeps at the bottom of the ocean. He was mentioned and appeared in stories written by HP Lovecraft. The panel Cthulu for president was hilarious because the guy running it said he was cthulu's campaign manager and took the role very seriously. We even got to ask questions. Such fun you'll only find at a con.
Again, moments like these make fanime great. This cheered me up even when I was pissed at my roommates. XD So make many friends at fanime. It's in the con rules!!

I really plan to next year... this year i had people following me around so i felt like i kinda had to hang out with them... One of them even almost fell asleep in the (im)possible cosplay panel... O_O So yeah it was a little distressing to not be able to meet people because you're friends are attached to you. But there was this one really cool girl in cosplay that sat next to me and my boyfriend during the armor panel. ^^ Shoulda asked for her name and stuff.

sykoeent

FANIME GATHERINGS?!?!?!? What is that??? Is there any in LA??? COME HERE!!!! Let's go to DISNEYLAND!!!!

Ari

Lol the forums plan get togethers outside of fanime at random times during the year. I've been meaning to go to one but showing up somewhere where you know nobody, at some random persons house is just a tid awkward. ^^

crystalsoul

Quote from: ash_chan on June 03, 2008, 12:13:13 AM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on June 02, 2008, 11:40:02 PM

Hm, agreed. While I did enjoy '08 very much, more volunteers this year seemed a bit hot-headed with their authority. :T
I third this statement.
I noticed a lot of people feeling uptight and I can't help but think that it may have had something to do with fear of staff that led to that.

*insert rest of post here :P*

well one thing i REALLY didnt like was the fact that SOS was so uptight about weapons. i know they had their orders and their reasons, but i thought it was stupid that i couldent carry around my wooden sword because i wasent cosplaying <_<  for all they know i could of been cosplaying as some teenager with a black sword from an anime XD  ~ROFL~

but ya, what sucked even more is that i had no where to put it. i dont have a hotel room, no car, no one to come pick it up. But i certainly wasent going to go all the way back home to drop a wooden sword off just so i can then come all the way back X_X

but i was lucky and the nice lady in the hotel front desk put my wooden sword in their safe room :D    she was nice....and pretty <3

NerdyBirdAsh

Quote from: crystalsoul on June 04, 2008, 12:18:33 AM

well one thing i REALLY didnt like was the fact that SOS was so uptight about weapons. i know they had their orders and their reasons, but i thought it was stupid that i couldent carry around my wooden sword because i wasent cosplaying <_<  for all they know i could of been cosplaying as some teenager with a black sword from an anime XD  ~ROFL~
It's better they be uptight about weapons than be completely lax and allow possible injuries. In 2004 I saw people who had bought swords in the dealers room, who weren't cosplaying, and had them swinging around in the middle of the street as we were all leaving (what was then) Der Cosplay. That scared me, how stupid someone would have to be to pull something like that. After that I noticed the weapons policy start to straighten up.

Quote from: crystalsoul on June 04, 2008, 12:18:33 AM
but ya, what sucked even more is that i had no where to put it. i dont have a hotel room, no car, no one to come pick it up. But i certainly wasent going to go all the way back home to drop a wooden sword off just so i can then come all the way back X_X

That's why you need to think before you buy something. Or bring something with you. Read up on the rules. You don't want to get caught with a rule like that and not have any options.

Attending FanimeCon for 15 years in 2019

Nyxyin

Quote from: ash_chan on June 04, 2008, 12:25:33 AMRead up on the rules.
To be fair, for all the people who pre-registered early, the rules didn't come out until way after pre-registration.  We had to agree to the rules before they were made available to be read.  Some of the rules just weren't stated anywhere until we actually got to the con and saw the posters and program guides.  If someone went to the con via public transportation and skateboard, bike, or rollerblade, they would would have no way of knowing that skateboards, bikes, and rollerblades weren't allowed until after they paid for registration and read their program guide.  What do you expect them to do with their transportation at that point?  It's not reasonable for people to read up on the rules and plan ahead when the rules weren't available ahead of time.

shinjiboy

Fanime-Con 2008...disappointing?

No, not at all. 

For the people who say they will go and make friends, its a tough call.  Really hard to get to know someone personally in a matter of a few days.  Even harder for us who are not so good with social interactions. 

Problem solved?  Go with your own friends.  Invite them even if they're not into anime.  And just go crazy (but keep it within regulations/rules).  That's all I can say.

Lots of people this year  :)

Kaura117

IA IA CTHULHU FTHAGN
PH'NGLUI MGLW'NFAH CTHULHU R'LYEH WGAH'NAGL FHTAGN

(gibbers madly)

Glitch

Quote from: Ari on June 03, 2008, 11:59:59 PM
Lol the forums plan get togethers outside of fanime at random times during the year. I've been meaning to go to one but showing up somewhere where you know nobody, at some random persons house is just a tid awkward. ^^
Not awkward at all. Just introduce yourself to all those strange people. But don't drink the punch, it's spiked....Literally, it could cut your tongue.

Quote from: Kaura117 on June 06, 2008, 10:33:21 AM

IA IA CTHULHU FTHAGN
PH'NGLUI MGLW'NFAH CTHULHU R'LYEH WGAH'NAGL FHTAGN

(gibbers madly)
Getting to know cthulu I see. Just like getting to know god,...except with a loss of senses.

Erin

Quote from: Nyxyin on June 04, 2008, 01:55:47 PM
Quote from: ash_chan on June 04, 2008, 12:25:33 AMRead up on the rules.
To be fair, for all the people who pre-registered early, the rules didn't come out until way after pre-registration.  We had to agree to the rules before they were made available to be read.  Some of the rules just weren't stated anywhere until we actually got to the con and saw the posters and program guides.  If someone went to the con via public transportation and skateboard, bike, or rollerblade, they would would have no way of knowing that skateboards, bikes, and rollerblades weren't allowed until after they paid for registration and read their program guide.  What do you expect them to do with their transportation at that point?  It's not reasonable for people to read up on the rules and plan ahead when the rules weren't available ahead of time.

In the case of the weapons policy, I believe that was already available on the website before the convention.  Though I will also admit, the "rules" that were supposed to be made available for members to read before they clicked "register" should have been made available as soon as registration was open >_> sigh.
Erin
Fan Services Co-Second

pockystix

I was highly disappointed with masquerade this year (especially since I've waited in line this year longer than any of my previous cons), but I suppose that is not Fanime's fault. I don't want to sound mean, but maybe there should be a round of preliminary judging to "filter" out skits that definitely wouldn't win, or at the least entertain the audience. The combination of 3 skits consisting of only Hare Hare Yukai really did it for me.

I'm surprised the Marvel v.s. Capcom skit didn't get best of show; so many people around me stood up and cheered at the end of that one. I also enjoyed the opening acts for masq. more so than previous years.

With video programming, I don't know if it's just me, but I found that there weren't many great shows to watch. My friends are big dorama fans, so they were pretty disappointed with Asian Film's selection.

Other than my personal hotel roommate issues; I made cool friends this year. My previous Fanimes seemed to have more ups than this year. I think you just have to be careful of what you look forward to, as there are no guarantees as to how they will play out.
New sn = Meirin

Kaura117

Quote from: pockystix on June 10, 2008, 08:33:29 PM
I was highly disappointed with masquerade this year (especially since I've waited in line this year longer than any of my previous cons), but I suppose that is not Fanime's fault. I don't want to sound mean, but maybe there should be a round of preliminary judging to "filter" out skits that definitely wouldn't win, or at the least entertain the audience. The combination of 3 skits consisting of only Hare Hare Yukai really did it for me.

I'm surprised the Marvel v.s. Capcom skit didn't get best of show; so many people around me stood up and cheered at the end of that one. I also enjoyed the opening acts for masq. more so than previous years.

With video programming, I don't know if it's just me, but I found that there weren't many great shows to watch. My friends are big dorama fans, so they were pretty disappointed with Asian Film's selection.

Other than my personal hotel roommate issues; I made cool friends this year. My previous Fanimes seemed to have more ups than this year. I think you just have to be careful of what you look forward to, as there are no guarantees as to how they will play out.

Bring a Nintendo DS to next year's Masquerade. Pictochat was blazing with various amusements that night.

heeroyuy135

Quote from: pockystix on June 10, 2008, 08:33:29 PM

The biggest suprise was the fact that #42, DN Task Force, actually won something given what they did. Either than that, the skits that should of won won that night.

I think this is going to be a hot-button topic: the balance between fairness (meaning open up the Masquerade to all skits, no matter how many) and what's best for the audience (your idea of filtering) at the Masquerade.

luckyends

for me i was at a bad point in my life out side of cons so just lots of bad things happening to me and stuff a little to personal for this forum board
but i felt like last year was better simply because for me it was that i was lucky and everyone else put in alot of effort to make the con fun so it was fun for me to (like glomp me signs and playing games and people were more loud and open i felt)
but this year i think you got out what you put in
so i didnt put much into it and i didnt get much out
next year will be better ^_^ i wish it was sooner but not to soon so i can finish my costumes
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Tuxedo mask - Sailor moon - 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%
Captain Kuro - one piece 100%

pockystix

Quote from: Kaura117 on June 11, 2008, 06:22:40 PM
Bring a Nintendo DS to next year's Masquerade. Pictochat was blazing with various amusements that night.

I DID hear about the epic Picochat session during masq (from /cgl/ lol), but unfortunately I only got a DS recently since my birthday is after Fanime. Unfortunate, but I'll remember to bring it next year.

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on June 11, 2008, 11:33:09 PM
I think this is going to be a hot-button topic: the balance between fairness (meaning open up the Masquerade to all skits, no matter how many) and what's best for the audience (your idea of filtering) at the Masquerade.

As long as it isn't something like AX's masquerade show, where you have to have won a cosplay award before to be eligible to even entering.
New sn = Meirin

Kazuko

uuugh Dont remind me of masq, I was bored out of my mind with all the constant memeing and over done Hare Hare Yuaki...it killed it for me so me and my friends all left, I wish I did bring my DS. The dance moves were all pretty bad, like some people were off sync or didnt practice enough or were even too stiff rather than flowing. except for Minna no Anime's skit they actually did rather well :d especially with the syncing and thriller-ness

I agree with Pockystix, the Marvel vs capcom should have won I was suprised, The pokemon dance thing was so cute :V i was three seconds of going up stage and hugging the living crap out of that Piplup

G.I.R

Quote from: Kazuko on June 29, 2008, 11:45:58 AM
i was three seconds of going up stage and hugging the living crap out of that Piplup

Warning!  "Hugging the living crap out of" ≤ Glomping.  Glomping = 3 paragraph lecture!  :P

Fanime was a total disappointment for me 'cause I didn't get to go.