Fanime-Con 2008...dissapointing?

Started by crystalsoul, May 28, 2008, 05:24:39 PM

Kyokun

Yes... something was lacking this year for me and my friends.  We honestly spent hardly any time at the con, and more time off site.  Everything that we wanted to see was scheduled for a terrible time (4 am, 7 am), or conflicted with something that we really had to do (pick up friend at airport).  The dealer's room was less interesting (although artist's alley showed a huge improvement, and I actually spent more money there than the dealer's room).  FMVs were markedly better though than last year, and I enjoyed the new voting format.

However, overall, I still had a ton of fun because Fanime gives my friends an excuse to all get together.

JohnnyAR

you know what made me mad? Hellsing was showing in 2 or 3 in the mourning! Why that early?!

Avriss_nyxx

I was a little disappointed because we couldn't have any signs!! And there were a lot of Hug haters. And I met someone and never got they're name or number. :[ It makes me want to cry.

crystalsoul

Quote from: blancoisma on May 29, 2008, 10:09:35 AM
I mean, when you have money, and you can't find anything to buy, that says something

this was the same for me, i actually for once in my life HAD MONEY TO SPEND, but there was nothing to buy

SOOOOo i spent it all on a couple CASES of strawberry pocky and melon ramune.

QuoteThe artist alley has grown so much

and i spent the rest of whatever i had left over on some lovely artwork

Mr Anime

This was my first Fanime so there is really nothing that I was disappointed about. Other than having to leave around 11:30 on Monday. But that was only because of the long drive back to L.A.
I'm the best at what I do. And what I do isn't very nice.

Kaura117

Quote from: Mr Anime on May 29, 2008, 04:19:45 PM
This was my first Fanime so there is really nothing that I was disappointed about. Other than having to leave around 11:30 on Monday. But that was only because of the long drive back to L.A.

...ye gods. Central California AND LA traffic. Having experienced that journey more times than I wish I had, you have my deepest sympathies.

sykoeent

Quote from: Mr Anime on May 29, 2008, 04:19:45 PM
heheheh
Ahh yes... good ol' So Cali Traffic! I only went Sunday and Monday was the long trek back to Orange County. It took like 5 hours.

Mr Anime

Quote from: sykoeent on May 29, 2008, 04:29:51 PM
Ahh yes... good ol' So Cali Traffic! I only went Sunday and Monday was the long trek back to Orange County. It took like 5 hours.

Wow! It only took you that long to get all the way to Orange county? Wish my drive had been that short. Unfortunately, mine was about 6 hours.  :'( And I live in the Valley.  :o Got stuck for about an hour on the 152 in practically stopped traffic. Then wasted about 15 minutes at the gas station because the guy there thought his personal call was more important then the customers.  >:(
I'm the best at what I do. And what I do isn't very nice.

Eri Kagami

The only thing I found a huge let down was the lack of industry related booths. I miss the Wheel of Gaia.

ukayoru

Quote from: crystalsoul on May 28, 2008, 05:24:39 PM
Im not sure if im the only one who is feeling this, but i left Fanime this year feeling dissapointed....Im not completely sure why either, it just did....like it was lacking somthing that last years con had O_o

Did anyone else have this feeling? cause all my friends said the same thing..."Last years con was better"

I totally did too, you're not alone. I dunno if it was the masq. being off this year or something else, but it just seemed to be an off year. I saw plenty of people having fun tho :]

billgoku

I felt that I couldn't go to all the gatherings and panels I wanted too, it all happened at the same time and I can't be in two places at once. lol Also, yeah the dealers room was the same, everyone had the same stuff, the dealers need to sell majority different things. Oh and yeah, the moment we left fanime was the worst...real life returns. lol
Fanime 10 2 weeks away...
Member of Bleach Gathering 2009
Cosplays plans in 10: Ichigo , few possibles...
: Onizuka (GTO) (Yes, this year I will do him no matter what.)

K&K4ever

I didn't like the fact that the Masque was on Sat instead of Sun.
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

Fanime was super was okay for me. I was with my boyfriend so it made a world of a difference. But dispite being lonely last year I couldn't help but feel it was better.

crystalsoul

Quote from: White Rose Assassin on May 29, 2008, 06:28:37 PM
The only thing I found a huge let down was the lack of industry related booths. I miss the Wheel of Gaia.

ahhh yes, the gaia wheel...which seemed to be the highlight of my last 2 fanimecons.

i too was depressed when gaia did not stick around this year. i was looking forward to buying a gaia item and spinning the wheel :(

that was another thing, whenever i was bored at fanime i could always go there for somthign fun to do...hell just watching other people spin was entertaining

FinalShadows

Quote from: crystalsoul on May 29, 2008, 11:56:56 PM
Quote from: White Rose Assassin on May 29, 2008, 06:28:37 PM

ahhh yes, the gaia wheel...which seemed to be the highlight of my last 2 fanimecons.

i too was depressed when gaia did not stick around this year. i was looking forward to buying a gaia item and spinning the wheel :(

that was another thing, whenever i was bored at fanime i could always go there for somthign fun to do...hell just watching other people spin was entertaining
Knowing them.. they'll goto AX D:<
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

SOawesomeness

Quote from: crystalsoul on May 29, 2008, 11:56:56 PM

D: I miss the booth because that's where I could bother all my higher-up friends to death. This year, I only spotted a *few* of them at the panel, but then I had to go back to reg. D:

So uncool, I'mma try and kick Derek's butt if he at least doesn't schedule Gaia to come back next year.
They BETTER not have any problems next year...
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

G.I.R

Quote from: Mr Anime on May 29, 2008, 05:58:47 PM

Wow! It only took you that long to get all the way to Orange county? Wish my drive had been that short. Unfortunately, mine was about 6 hours.  :'( And I live in the Valley.  :o Got stuck for about an hour on the 152 in practically stopped traffic. Then wasted about 15 minutes at the gas station because the guy there thought his personal call was more important then the customers.  >:(
Yeah, the 152 can be pretty bad at times (twice before I've turned around, and got back on US 101 because of traffic).  Next time, try taking the 101 down to highway 46, and then cut across to the 5. 

NerdyBirdAsh

I too felt something was...eh, I dunno, lacking.
I've been going to Fanime since '04, and this year was the first year I spent a lot of time in my hotel room.
I'm not sure if the reason is I'm maturing and maybe the same things I found amusing when I was 14 just....don't do it for me now that I'm 18 or if it's because I'm too ADHD to stand stand in a line and wait to get into things I want to go to, or maybe it was lack of selection on Fanime's part.

...Probably a combo of all of the above.
Attending FanimeCon for 15 years in 2019

Punkbuster

Quote from: G.I.R on May 30, 2008, 12:09:31 AM
Quote from: Mr Anime on May 29, 2008, 05:58:47 PM

Yeah, the 152 can be pretty bad at times (twice before I've turned around, and got back on US 101 because of traffic).  Next time, try taking the 101 down to highway 46, and then cut across to the 5. 

I drove from Phoenix, and I took the 5. It's probably just me, but I LOOOOVE California drivers. Az drivers are incredibly unpredictable.

I'm jealous, I want to touch the Wheel of Gaia. D= I never found the artist alley person selling Longcat Scarves.

kuroi

I dunno. I wouldn't say this year was disappointing, but it definitely felt different than last year. A lot less hectic (since I wasn't driving back and forth between San Jose and Oakland every afternoon, for one), for one. But I think I had a lot more fun this year, since I actually got to stick around and not have to miss things, so actually got to meet new people and hang out with the friends I came down with.

Seconding the dealer's room though. It just seemed really off to me, and the lack of a cosworx booth made me sad. But the artist's alley this year rocked; I think I spent the majority of my money there (as it seems a lot of people did, lol). The masquerade went downhill from last year, though Ric Myers was an awesome MC. It's just that so many similar skits and having so many people come up and sing got really annoying. (especially when you're in press and can't just turn and talk to friends like you can if you're seated in the back).

Also, the Yuri room. I wasn't at con for it last year, but meant to bring my sister to it as her initiation into 1) anime cons larger than one-day cons and 2) 18+ rooms, as she turned 18 a couple months ago, but were disappointed when it wasn't yuri at all. (at least when we walked in, anyways)

All in all, though, I think I had a lot more fun this year, even though there were a few things that I would've loved to have seen, if they hadn't been at 6 AM or other assorted awkward times... The Karaoke Gong Show made up for a lot, though XDD
2009 cosplays:
ahaha, so undecided
Chibitalia, Yanki!Souji, TYL!Irie Shouichi, Jack Bezarius, and Cool Lady!Tear Grants are most likely though