Private Photo Shoots

Started by CosplayDevotee, August 27, 2010, 08:12:33 PM

CosplayDevotee

Hey, so I'm not sure if this is the correct area to be asking this question, but I keep seeing professional photo shoots taking place every fanime and I was wondering if there is a sign up sheet or if these people are just professional photographers that just pick and choose who they take pictures of? I know that some of them are affiliated with Cosplay.com because I have seen some of the photos on that website, but I have always wanted to get even just one or two professional photos of my best cosplays. Anyone know? :-\

udonoodle

:D

Dany

Some photographers will also announce in advance (in various forums, LJ, etc) that they are doing shoots and you can sign up for a slot with them at a time that is convenient for you. They are usually first-come/pay, first serve on the choice of time slots. Some might be free, but more often, it's something you pay for...for example, a set fee for one person and a slight bump for each additional person. Split over a group, it can be fairly inexpensive in the end for getting an hour or so with a photographer committed just to you, one that you know you can get photos from later guaranteed without a lot of scouring.

I did this for Fanime this year and I was really happy. An hour of one photographer taking a lot of photos gave us a great result. You do need to do some research and look for photographers who have a style you enjoy. You'll also want to be aware of places you'd like to photograph in advance..that was our problem, mostly because we were new to the con and didn't know where some of the better photoshoot places were. The results still came out awesome from the person we worked with :)

2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

CosplayDevotee

Quote from: Dany on August 27, 2010, 09:50:46 PM
Some photographers will also announce in advance (in various forums, LJ, etc) that they are doing shoots and you can sign up for a slot with them at a time that is convenient for you. They are usually first-come/pay, first serve on the choice of time slots. Some might be free, but more often, it's something you pay for...for example, a set fee for one person and a slight bump for each additional person. Split over a group, it can be fairly inexpensive in the end for getting an hour or so with a photographer committed just to you, one that you know you can get photos from later guaranteed without a lot of scouring.

I did this for Fanime this year and I was really happy. An hour of one photographer taking a lot of photos gave us a great result. You do need to do some research and look for photographers who have a style you enjoy. You'll also want to be aware of places you'd like to photograph in advance..that was our problem, mostly because we were new to the con and didn't know where some of the better photoshoot places were. The results still came out awesome from the person we worked with :)

That sounds wonderful! Do you happen to have a link to these forums from last year so I know what to look for when Fanime 2011 comes around? I know it is silly to already be working on something that won't be here until May of next year, but I am making sure we have EVERYTHING down to a "T" lol. Last year was the VERY first year that we had SOME semblance of order and we LOVED IT. My whole group and I have always wanted a GREAT photo of all of us in our favorite cosplay so this would be a GREAT help.  ;D

Dany

Quote from: Junsui_87 on August 31, 2010, 06:14:55 PM
That sounds wonderful! Do you happen to have a link to these forums from last year so I know what to look for when Fanime 2011 comes around? I know it is silly to already be working on something that won't be here until May of next year, but I am making sure we have EVERYTHING down to a "T" lol. Last year was the VERY first year that we had SOME semblance of order and we LOVED IT. My whole group and I have always wanted a GREAT photo of all of us in our favorite cosplay so this would be a GREAT help.  ;D

The gal I found (Judy Stephens) was through the Cosplay LJ community:

http://community.livejournal.com/cosplay/

I admit, however, I don't see that many photographers posting there (or maybe I missed them!).

If you're looking for specifically people shooting at Fanime, start keeping your eyes open around 2-3 months before con.  I want to say that was when I began to see announcements roll in. You'll surely find a few people who will announce their availability here, and some will announce over at Cosplay.com as well (whether it's in the Photographer threads or in the Fanime subsection itself). A part of me also wants to say to check DeviantArt as well, but I have virtually zero experience with the place. I just gather that photographers might have a dA account and therefore might use that space for communications.

2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Mr Anime

You might also want to check out www.acparadise.com and Flickr. You might find more info about photographers and photoshoots on either site.
I'm the best at what I do. And what I do isn't very nice.