Packing for Fanime

Started by lady_tomoko, May 19, 2011, 03:20:26 PM

Kaycea

.....Seriously after reading some of your post I'm starting to think maybe I don't pack enough('_'?)
Though in all honesty I don't think I'd be able to fill up 5-6 suitcases even if I tried=_=
My daily mantra is L.I.F.E.= Losing.Is.Failing.Excellently.
So it's not that I didn't win...I just choose not to succeed.
Cosplays I've done:
Everyday of my life-Me
Fanime 08'-Dosu Kinuta
Fanime 11'-Kuro Shinobi no Mono
Sacanime 11'-(Same)+Kuroneko

FanFicGuru

What to bring:

A flat of red bull: To keep you going throughout the con.
A can of Axe body spray: To sidestep that whole "showering" issue (Hygiene's so overrated!)
A costco bin of red vines: to provide you with invaluable nutrients.

That's about it. Anything else is unnecessary. [/sarcasm]
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

InsaneChan

I pack a ton xD Fanime is a long event, so I always want to be prepared for whatever could come up. I have that "motherly" thing where I pack a ton of extra things in case someone else in my group forgets something ^^;;;;

I always have a separate bag (or 2) for cosplay, a bag of snacks/small food items, a bag of extra blankets, and then my clothes duffle~the duffle is usually packed to the seam with all kinds of extra clothes [6-7 shirts, 3-4 jeans, etc], because I always worry, "Well, what if I spill something, what if it's super hot and I need to change out of sweaty clothes, what if...?" My OCD sorta paid off last year, when my friend forgot to bring something to sleep in. So I just busted out the extra set of sleep wear I had brought along "just in case" xD;;
Love. Life. fANIME.

robozombisaurus

I think I'm going to have about three bags. One for cosplays one for regular clothes and my kandi and a bag for the stuff I buy. They aren't really big bags but they get the job done ;D
Pinkie pie- my little pony
Missing no. Snorlax & Sylveon- Pokemon
Lumpy space princess- Adventure time
Stocking,geek boy(gender bent)- panty and stocking

koolcalcat1

Heck in don't bring normal clothing sept cosplay...ad some how every year it all fits in one bag...

Arkham

I pack relatively light.

A change of shirt, trousers and underthings for every day.
( Top hat, waist coat, frock coat and accessories are worn, don't need to be packed. )
A pair of nice shoes, as worn combat boots aren't quite so nice for the Black & White Ball.
Costume pieces. This year it is a crow-beak respirator, last year it was the Steampunk clawed glove ( which if I can repair in time, will make another appearance )
Toiletries
Make up
Phone/battery Chargers
An ice chest with food. Cereal, peanut butter, bread, yogurt, granola, fresh fruit.
Camera and mono-pod.

Most important things: a 6-pack of 5-hour Energy shots and a bottle of Alleve

If I'm bringing recently-finished projects to a con, I'll bring a repair kit. But the glove I know is fragile, and the mask I know is sturdy, so won't bring them this time.

So, 1 suit case, one chest of food.
--Arkham : The Blackened Hatter

Mango Bunny

Update: PACKING HAS BEGUN

Rin_chan

I just got all my packing done today after I went to buy food supplies :3 food all fits in a backpack, have my cosplay outfits in one small duffel bag(I could fit more in the bag, but I'm trying to keep them as un-wrinked as possible) and the rest of my normal clothes and stuff in a medium duffel bag.

All I need to pack now is my tooth brush XD

Taikei

I have been slowly packing for two weeks now. I made a list of every item for every Cosplay and went from item one, to item two hundred and seventeen. I am prepared. Totally. XD I have to be sure and have everythin though cause I'm coming down from Washinton to get to Fanime. There I no 'oops I forgot' moments for me! Lolol.

Miyu_Mya

Quote from: lady_tomoko on May 19, 2011, 10:56:12 PM
Quote from: Armored-Heart on May 19, 2011, 09:45:23 PM
Last year my suitcase was nicknamed "The House" due to its massive size. Example: "We'll be okay for food. After all, she brought her entire house, there's gotta be a kitchen in there." Oh, and one time it was early-ish and I needed something out of my suitcase, but someone had turned it on its side and was sleeping on the floor right next to it, so I had to lift it and put it on the bed without disturbing anyone. But it was heavy and slipped. I caught it right before it smashed the dude's face. o___o;

...This year I'm hoping to downgrade the amount I pack. xD;;

I've been mostly packed since the end of March, actually. </DEDICATION> See, I'm away in college in Oregon, and all of my cosplay stuff/the majority of what I need for Fanime is at home. Knowing I wouldn't be home again until Day Zero, I made sure I packed the bulk of my stuff during Spring Break. Otherwise I would've only had a few hours to pack and go food shopping before my group left for San Jose; additionally, due to my flight home being at 5:20 am, I'm obviously going to be dead tired and am prone to forgetfulness even when I'm NOT tired, so it wouldn't be the best day for me to frantically pack. xD

I'll probably packing the rest of my stuff that I'm flying home with this weekend. I need to pack my hot pot (for cooking ramen and mac and cheese!) as well as various food (only things I can take on the plane and won't get crushed/destroyed of course; I'm only bringing a carry on) some spare non-cosplay clothes that I don't already have at home, my cosmetics bag with my makeup/contacts/toothbrush/etc, pajamas, basic stuff. I wonder if airport security will question why I have a hot pot... >3>;

That would've really sucked if you hit that dude in the face >.<   

I thought about bringing some sort of food with me, or some kind of cooking device (similar to the hotpot) but then that's more to pack and I'm also lazy XD. If I bring anything, it will non-perishable so I can easily store it in my hotel room without an ice chest.

Quote from: xichisex on May 19, 2011, 09:08:18 PM
In general I just kind of throw everything I THINK I need into my suitcase. The big one.

That is why I pack so much stuff XD  I know I will leave something at home cause I think I don't need it, I will end up needing it, and then I'll be pissed the whole weekend that I left it at home.

The most hotel rooms do not provide a microwave or a fridge but they generally provided a coffee maker which you can use to get hot water. I'm bring cheap dry food such as cup-of-noodles and "just add water" soups. It's not the best diet, but it'll do for Fanime.
"Nothing beautiful lasts forever."

TC X0 Lt 0X

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Yatta Dante

Quote from: Charis on May 20, 2011, 08:51:18 AM
I am an OCD preplanner, and part of that means that I have a spreadsheet with tabs for each cosplay and what I pack for each one, so it's easy to eliminate what's not relevant to a given con.  My friends laugh at me, but it works.  I also tend to pack more than should be possible into my roller bags (which then weigh a TON), but I'm driving, so that's okay. XD  Last year I think I came up with two rollers (one at the upper end of carry-on size, one small), a rather packed garment bag, two decent-sized tote bags, a laundry basket of Other People's Stuff, a sword bag, and Minazuki (giant manta ray plush XD ), plus the food bag and one of those 2.5gal water jugs.  It could conceivably have been less, except I think I brought six or seven cosplays and it's rare for me to have less than ten yards of fabric in one. XD

I tend to pack a lot of stuff into ziplock bags or containers of some sort -- cosplay accessories and makeup in boxes, socks in a bag to compress them smaller, etc.  The garment bag is mostly because of my Trinity Blood costume, which is enough of a beast to iron when it's been hanging; I dread to think what it'd be like if I had to fold it up.  Thirty-five yards of fabric or so in the dress and two skirts.  I think Minazuki's probably the biggest space-eater, but he's comfortable.  The tote bags work really well for things like shoes and wigs and whatnot, in my experience.

Some of the less typical things I consider necessities: a Tide pen.  A press cloth for ironing.  A smaller surge protector that has two USB charging outlets.  A hand fan, because I tend to overheat in most cosplay.  Smaller bills for tipping hotel staff.  Cosplay repair kit.  Painkillers (and the rest of a basic first aid kit).  A notebook and pen that will go everywhere with me.

You and I have similiar styles.  But, I never even thought of using Excel to manage my individual cosplays.  I always had Word documents that were scattered around with notes of what I need to bring or work on.  I should start using Excel for that.
~Yatta Dante

koolcalcat1

Haha so I started putting stuff in a suitcase...turns put the inside was a mess now o have to was all the black costume parts...UGH!!!!

So I cleaned it...and now slowly putting stuff in the bag...slowly...

Shoes...wigs...costumes...props...all have to fit in one bag...

xichisex

Quote from: FanFicGuru on May 20, 2011, 11:57:26 AM
What to bring:

A can of Axe body spray: To sidestep that whole "showering" issue (Hygiene's so overrated!)

A lot of girls can tell you that after a while the smell of not showering and then mixing Axe with it, tends to smell FAR too strong and frankly disgusting. Just shower.

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

FanFicGuru

Quote from: xichisex on May 24, 2011, 11:34:42 AM
What to bring:

A lot of girls can tell you that after a while the smell of not showering and then mixing Axe with it, tends to smell FAR too strong and frankly disgusting. Just shower.

Sorry, I think you missed the sarcasm the first time around. I have bolded it.  ;D
Swap meet staff - 2014

xichisex

Quote from: FanFicGuru on May 24, 2011, 11:38:55 AM
What to bring:

Sorry, I think you missed the sarcasm the first time around. I have bolded it.  ;D
Honestly, I did. I did miss it. xD I will not lie.

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

FanFicGuru

Quote from: xichisex on May 24, 2011, 11:41:54 AM
What to bring:

Trust me, I am no fan of fanboy funk. :D
Swap meet staff - 2014

xichisex

Quote from: FanFicGuru on May 24, 2011, 11:54:29 AM
Quote from: xichisex on May 24, 2011, 11:41:54 AM
What to bring:

Trust me, I am no fan of fanboy funk. :D
Thank gawd. That's a relief. D:

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

Nosferatu

What to bring:

Sarcasm aside, I know people that live by this during convention season. It's a little scary. :P

I haven't started packing, and my biggest prop doesn't even have the last coat of paint on it yet. *biggest procrastinator* And considering I'm leaving right after work on Thursday... yeah this'll be fun hahaha.
Fanime 2014: Mass Effect fem!Shep still incomplete. No cosplay this year.

Mango Bunny

A good deodorant should certainly be on the packing list for Fanime, but Axe smells like an asthma attack.

I'm totally about to start packing.... AGAIN!

Weeeee. Laundry done! I love lists.