Cosplay assistance specific to homestuck~

Started by Valcust, March 11, 2014, 04:21:33 PM

Valcust

Might anyone know of a good site to acquire some grey opera gloves? Or really any kind of long glove might work :3

EDIT: Also intended use of this thread is for anyone and not just me, so ask away and hopefully the hivemind of our subforum can deliver on techniques, materials, etc for homestuck cosplay creation~
Cosplays planned for 2014~:
Aimless Renegade~ 50%
Ja'Sajek the Khajiit~ 25%
Return of P-Body~ 75%

kookiekween99

ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Valcust

Aimless Renegade~ 50%
Return of P-Body~ 75%

octoberesque

The gloves from welovecolors are slightly shiny, unfortunately.

Pluvicorn

I bought really cheap white clothes from Spirit the day after Halloween (which I know isn't really doable now but...)
And if needed to be gray, I was just going to put it in very watered down black dye, and just soak it for a SHORT time, checking until it is the right color gray.

I don't know the brand, but they are just thin bicep-long gloves.
Though I'm keeping them white.

Valcust

Quote from: octoberesque on March 11, 2014, 06:09:21 PM
The gloves from welovecolors are slightly shiny, unfortunately.

Huh..Think staining them with paint or anything of the like might help? I was planning on painting on them anyway, but shinyness is definitely something to be avoided >>
Aimless Renegade~ 50%
Return of P-Body~ 75%

kookiekween99

Also, here's a tutorial I found online: http://cosplayquestions.tumblr.com/post/20847110367/makeupless-homestuck-troll-cosplay-arms-and-hands

Not sure if you're doing a troll, but you could buy the gloves and paint them, or sew your own out of pantyhose like in the tutorial.

Valcust

That..is stunningly perfect for what I require :D I just need arms for my Khajiit, but I figured you guys would know best about this specific arm-covering clothing :3
Also making an AR cosplay, but that one's pretty straight forward. The only possible questions I've for that are good ways to create nondescript and con-worthy firearms, buuut for the moment I'm thinking I'll just cut out a few rifle shapes from foam and glue 'em together.
Aimless Renegade~ 50%
Return of P-Body~ 75%

Nina Star 9

I know someone who has used that armsock tutorial, and it did not work out well, just as a warning. The paint, no matter how well she applied it, was really awkward and stiff and itchy and splotchy instead of giving the nice, smooth grey that she wanted, and they were nigh unwearable because of the texture. We had to make some emergency grey sleeves to go with her outfit, which was awkward, but better than nothing. the technique for making the socks themselves was alright, though I'd recommend not cutting the fingers until after they are sewn, or cutting while sewing, because the pinned and pre-cut fingers tended to slip around and not actually fit her fingers. (She also had a problem with the actual painting process, since the paint gave her a nasty chemical burn, but if you don't have super sensitive skin like she does, then that isn't as big of an issue, though I'd still be worried about someone having that much paint that close to their skin for as long as the painting process takes)

Instead of getting black and painting it, look into getting tights that are already grey. Buy a couple of pairs in case you mess up the first one.

Valcust

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on March 11, 2014, 09:23:26 PM
I know someone who has used that armsock tutorial, and it did not work out well, just as a warning. The paint, no matter how well she applied it, was really awkward and stiff...
Instead of getting black and painting it, look into getting tights that are already grey. Buy a couple of pairs in case you mess up the first one.

Huh..this is definitely a route to consider..Do you know if she use acrylic paint or fabric paint?
Aimless Renegade~ 50%
Return of P-Body~ 75%

CielloRegalo

sorry to flood with links but I know a few I use as references:
Homestuck Cosplay Help: http://hscoshelp.tumblr.com
Homestuck Pattern Reference: http://homestuckpatternreference.tumblr.com
Homestuck Masterlist Reference: http://homestuckcosplayhelp.tumblr.com
The Masterlist reference covers everything from where to buy the most accurate shoes to patterns and Godtiers! :)
I do hope they are helpful and I know for sure there are plenty more links available. These are simply the ones I have on hand. - Ciello[color]

kookiekween99

Does anyone know where I can buy freezer paper?

Valcust

Quote from: kookiekween99 on March 24, 2014, 06:50:43 PM

Huh..first I've heard of freezer paper o.o
After some quick google-ing, it appears to be something you could pick up at just about any ol' grocery store..I could be wrong, though >>
Aimless Renegade~ 50%
Return of P-Body~ 75%

kookiekween99

Freezer paper is a type of paper with plastic on one side. While it was originally intended to be used as wrapping for meat in the freezer, it is extremely useful when it comes to painting on fabric. You can cut a design out of the freezer paper to use it as a stencil. Putting the plastic side down on the fabric, lightly iron it. The plastic side will stick to the shirt, creating a seal that prevents the fabric paint from bleeding. When the paint is dry, you simply peel the freezer paper off. Very useful for shirt symbols.

Anyway, I could not find it in grocery stores, office supply stores, or craft stores. I ended up ordering it off Amazon.

SquishyK

Quote from: kookiekween99 on March 24, 2014, 11:09:39 PM
Freezer paper is a type of paper with plastic on one side. While it was originally intended to be used as wrapping for meat in the freezer, it is extremely useful when it comes to painting on fabric. You can cut a design out of the freezer paper to use it as a stencil. Putting the plastic side down on the fabric, lightly iron it. The plastic side will stick to the shirt, creating a seal that prevents the fabric paint from bleeding. When the paint is dry, you simply peel the freezer paper off. Very useful for shirt symbols.

Anyway, I could not find it in grocery stores, office supply stores, or craft stores. I ended up ordering it off Amazon.

You could probably walk up to any meat/deli department and ask for some and they will probably be able to give you a square of it (though it would probably help if you also purchase a food item).
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

Kuudere

Quote from: kookiekween99 on March 24, 2014, 06:50:43 PM

They sell it at Walmart (or they did when I used it last year). It'll be in a box that looks like this.