Comedy Club at Fanime 2010 Updated: 5/16/2010

Started by Aya Brea X, March 08, 2010, 01:25:14 AM

Glitch

Quote from: The Doctor on March 28, 2010, 01:46:02 PM
Quote from: Aya Brea X on March 08, 2010, 01:25:14 AM

Okay, seriously?  No girls again?  (Besides me)  One of you guys needs to put on a dress when you're performing just so I won't feel as bad.

If it helps, I actually planned to be in crossplay. I managed to work it into my set.

Dont worry though, it's not a Man-F*ye thing.
I thought about doing my set in crossplay last year, but didn't have money for a costume. Won't do it for this year since two men in dresses will start to look redundant. XD Make us proud.

Aya Brea X

Okay, can the performers do me a favor and try to cut down their sets to SIX AND A HALF minutes?  I had another performer try to contact me on the 21st but apparently her e-mail never made it.  So six minute sets plus some laughter pause would be 6.5 minutes and would give us time to transition between the now EIGHT performers and have a little breathing room at the beginning.  Otherwise I'll have to limit the poor gal to 5 minutes and cut my own set to 5 :(  I'll be very unhappy.

Glitch

Quote from: Aya Brea X on March 29, 2010, 02:04:14 PM
Okay, can the performers do me a favor and try to cut down their sets to SIX AND A HALF minutes?  I had another performer try to contact me on the 21st but apparently her e-mail never made it.  So six minute sets plus some laughter pause would be 6.5 minutes and would give us time to transition between the now EIGHT performers and have a little breathing room at the beginning.  Otherwise I'll have to limit the poor gal to 5 minutes and cut my own set to 5 :(  I'll be very unhappy.

I have no problem cutting down the time of my routine, but I was wondering if it's too late to make this into a two hour panel? Eight is just two shy away from the 10 you said would be needed for two hours, and it would keep us from rushing things. Plus we usually have to give ten minutes for the next panel after us to set up. I mean we weren't really left with that much time left over during last year's two hours.
Your current plan is good, I'm just giving a harmless suggestion. ^^;

havok rt

Yeah I got no problem doing a 5min set just need some one to tell that my time is almost up.
Fanime Staff:2010 Social Gaming, 2012 Tabletop Gaming

Cosplay for 2012: Walking around with "The Most Interesting Man In the World" (aka the dos equis guy)

radpaolo.

Quote from: havok rt on March 30, 2010, 12:49:33 AM
Yeah I got no problem doing a 5min set just need some one to tell that my time is almost up.

Agreed. I don't think we did this in the past two years, but maybe this year, if we could find somebody (a vol maybe?) to keep time for us, that'd be great. They could shine a light (or gesture wildly) in our general direction when we have two minutes left, and shine a light (or gesture wildly) again in our direction when we got 30 seconds left in our set.

Just like in a real comedy club!

Although I do second Glitch's harmless suggestion of trying to lobby for a two-hour panel, if it is at all possible, Fanime panel gods. I just think folks might have more fun if it isn't so much SIT DOWN SHUT UP, WE'RE GONNA CRAM SO MUCH COMEDY DOWN YOUR THROAT RUSH RUSH RUSH. And it would give us time cushions as well for unforeseen circumstances.
Sambrano's suicide attempt was obviously unsuccessful. - KXAN Austin, TX (3/15/10)

Paolo Sambrano(dotcom)

The Doctor

As of press time, my set is precisely 6 minutes and 53 seconds. Convenient.

I'll shave off the appropriate time, then, but I'm also for the gesture of a 2 hour panel. If that matters.

Kava

I have no problem extending the panel to 2 hours if y'all want it. However, I think Aya's concern is that she wants to be sure there are enough acts to fill that space without everything being awkward and dragging on.

On my end, it would need to be requested _very_ soon. I am in the rough draft stages of creating the panels schedule right now. At this point, it wouldn't be hard to extend the time. Next week, though, or even in a few days, it'll get a lot harder, as most of the time slots will already be full.

-Rena
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

G-Force

Quick we gotta take a final head count. So far from what I've gathered our performers are...

Aya
Pablo
G
Havok
New Guy from Last Year (need name)
New Girl Contacting Aya
The Doctor

7 people running 10 minute sets would push the panel to just shy over an hour. If we get a two our slot then that leaves us with 50 minutes left to spare, far too big of a gap to leave unaccounted for. There's always an option of going 15 minutes but that's just WAY too much performing time and people WILL get bored.

Glitch

Quote from: G-Force on April 01, 2010, 02:36:24 AM
Quick we gotta take a final head count. So far from what I've gathered our performers are...

Aya
Pablo
G
Havok
New Girl Contacting Aya
The Doctor

7 people running 10 minute sets would push the panel to just shy over an hour. If we get a two our slot then that leaves us with 50 minutes left to spare, far too big of a gap to leave unaccounted for. There's always an option of going 15 minutes but that's just WAY too much performing time and people WILL get bored.

8 people(you forgot to count me, last year's new guy goes by the name PassLion).  Ten minutes each and five minutes to leave the next panel prep time would be around 35 minutes. Although I'm still wondering how we ate up so much time last year.(I know some of you guys had really long sets.) if only fanime had the option of an hour and 30 minutes.
Everybody is gonna have to be sharp on their toes for measuring the time of their time sets in an hour slot, so I am in favor of at least getting somebody to wrap up their set.
All in all, I'd show up even if the panel was 15 minutes. XD

G-Force

My bad glitch, 8 performers.

The thing was last year we did not eat up a lot of time. We worked with a two hour panel and even without time restrictions the six of us struggled to go past the 1 hour 30 minute mark. The long panel time really hurt us overall last year as some of us felt rather pressured to take up as much time as possible and thus we did bore the audience to a certain degree. Time limits force us to go right for the throat ASAP and to tighten up our pacing. Even if all of us went 10 minutes I believe that leaving 35 minutes of cush time might be a tad excessive. 

havok rt

Gotta side with G on this I mean two hours last year was nice but too much. I'm fine with the time since I already have a hectic con schedule. So I'm doing about 5mins-7minutes max regardless. So let do the math: 120minutes (Total time)-~7(start)-~7(end)-~7(my set)=102minuntes/7performers=~14minunte sets from everyone else or 60-5(start)-5(end)-5(me)=45/7=6.5minute sets person. So then the million dollar question is does everybody else want to/can do a 6.5minute set or a 14minute set?
Fanime Staff:2010 Social Gaming, 2012 Tabletop Gaming

Cosplay for 2012: Walking around with "The Most Interesting Man In the World" (aka the dos equis guy)

radpaolo.

Paolo

Fixed.

Ok, I think I'm convinced to leave it at an hour. I suppose it would be better to be rushing than to be like, 'we have all this time now you guys, what do you wanna do' and I do agree with G that it'll force our sets have to pop that much faster, versus the rambling on and on. Stand-up wise, the amount of time that does go into a tight five is pretty staggering. Let alone, a decent 10-15.

And I guess that means inadvertently, less possibility of audience turnover. If there's a constant barrage of comedy coming at them, they won't get bored, leave midway through the panel. They'll (probably, more likely) stay for the whole thing and have a fine time! We are doing it for the audience, after all.
Sambrano's suicide attempt was obviously unsuccessful. - KXAN Austin, TX (3/15/10)

Paolo Sambrano(dotcom)

Glitch

On a side note, I might(big giant "might") be able to record this years performances if I can buy a camera before fanime. Don't hold me on this, I'm just saying there is a small possibility. ^^;;

The Doctor

Aya
Pablo
G
Havok
New Girl Contacting Aya
The Doctor

I can easily do 15 to 20 minutes. I can even go to 30, if I'm feeling conceited enough.

The thing with a 15 minute slot is, if it's funny, it wont get boring. So if everyone was confident enough in a longer set near or at 15 minutes, I dont see a big problem with attendant contentment.

G-Force

I really think we should play it safe this year and go with a one-hour time slot. Better to leave the audience wanting more than to drive them away from giving them too much. Also Doctor, I am confident in your capabilities of running a 30 minute set but let's not overwhelm everyone with your awesome talent.

Also people, I think there's an opportunity Stage Zero is offering that we should totally exploit.

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,13718.0.html

Glitch

Quote from: G-Force on April 08, 2010, 01:38:35 AM
Also people, I think there's an opportunity Stage Zero is offering that we should totally exploit.

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,13718.0.html
I agree. This could be very good advertisement. We could have 1 or 2 people do an act about why people should go see the comedy club. But we need to act on this quickly. In relation, I might plan to carry a sign and advertise the panel an hour before it begins. XD  We need this thing packed to the brim with people. ^^

G-Force

Time slots are being filled fast folks and I can't run a 15 minute set solo as then it will over-saturate my act. I see the time slot being filled with us performs on stage giving a bit of a highlight reel of our routines and getting the audience laughing then we'll advertise the main panel. I'm a free agent during the entire con but I gotta know when you folks are free to go as well.

Glitch

Quote from: G-Force on April 09, 2010, 12:44:55 AM
Time slots are being filled fast folks and I can't run a 15 minute set solo as then it will over-saturate my act. I see the time slot being filled with us performs on stage giving a bit of a highlight reel of our routines and getting the audience laughing then we'll advertise the main panel. I'm a free agent during the entire con but I gotta know when you folks are free to go as well.
I'm very much for going on for this, but we really need Aya to green light this idea soon. As soon as she gives us the go let's sign up quickly and flesh out the details afterwards.

The Doctor

I really think we should play it safe this year and go with a one-hour time slot. Better to leave the audience wanting more than to drive them away from giving them too much. Also Doctor, I am confident in your capabilities of running a 30 minute set but let's not overwhelm everyone with your awesome talent.

Pfft, of course I was being facetious.

Apparently you were too. Even so, I AM awesome.

Regarding Stage Zero: What exactly is it?

It seems like a very vague performance opportunity. But performance for what?

I'm up for it, if time/space permits, naturally.

G-Force

Quote from: The Doctor on April 10, 2010, 02:28:14 AM

Pfft, of course I was being facetious.

Apparently you were too. Even so, I AM awesome.

Regarding Stage Zero: What exactly is it?

It seems like a very vague performance opportunity. But performance for what?

I'm up for it, if time/space permits, naturally.

Stage Zero is Fanime's 24 hour performance/promotion area. Set smack dab in the middle of the main convention hallway, Stage Zero host a wide variety of acts to entertain the crowd. There's charity auctions, dance offs, drawing competitions, trivia game shows, guest interviews and even improv. The key thing about stage zero is that there's always SOMETHING going on and in general people always watch these event. The sign ups are for us to us their resources to our advantage so we're pretty much free to showcase whatever we want. Like I said, we gather the comedians together and we do quick three minute stand-up bits to generate buzz for our panel.