Comedy Club at Fanime 2010 Updated: 5/16/2010

Started by Aya Brea X, March 08, 2010, 01:25:14 AM

Glitch

Hosting or not, any presence by chthulu's manager would be awesome. His panel is loads of laughs(the first year of our panel actually had his right before us, so it got me good and pumped to perform) and he did a pretty cool job hosting the amv section of hentai night.

HunterZero

Quote from: The Doctor on June 17, 2010, 10:52:04 PM
As far as I know, the panel is Joyce's brainchild. It would be odd if anyone else decided to head it.

That said, if anyone else would, it would probably be appropriate if it were one of the veteran comics of the panel.

Ah, I'm not overly familiar with the setup of the panel.

Also, thanks for your kind words about the hmvs :D
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

HarpB

QuoteJoyce's brainchild
Hahaha

The set=up.  Each comedien has set amount of minutes for their gig. Joyce starts the show and does her bit, and then calls the person on to the front hte audience and do the bit. She sits in the firs row, and puts up sign to indicate how much time the comedian has. The comedian ends the bit, audience claps, goes back to seat and Joyce introduces the next comedian. this way, we go through each comedian and it ends with all comedian getting in front of the stage and taking a bow.

Admiral Donuts

Okay guys I'm getting the evil red text as I post this, is the 2011 comedy club in the works yet?

Glitch

Quote from: Jeimizu on December 12, 2010, 11:32:26 AM
Okay guys I'm getting the evil red text as I post this, is the 2011 comedy club in the works yet?
It's way too early to tell.(unless you ask Joyce if she's doing the panel again) But more than likely it's gonna happen again. Around February or March is when questions start to fly. For now no worries.

Aya Brea X

Bad news guys.  The company I'm working for is "reorganizing" so no one is cleared for any vacations for days after 3/31.  There's no estimated date we're going to know when we can ask for vacation days. :(  So I'm out for Comedy Club.  I haven't even registered for the con yet since I don't know if I can go.  If one of you boys who participated before wants to put in for the panel instead, by all means, please submit the panel.  Sorry, guys.

Admiral Donuts

:'(

And I've been working so hard on my act...

HunterZero

I'm not overly aware of what's involved in putting on this panel, but if someone needs some assistance I'll help out if I can.  Just send me a message since I have no idea what's involved.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Glitch

Quote from: Aya Brea X on January 23, 2011, 03:45:52 PM
Bad news guys.  The company I'm working for is "reorganizing" so no one is cleared for any vacations for days after 3/31.  There's no estimated date we're going to know when we can ask for vacation days. :(  So I'm out for Comedy Club.  I haven't even registered for the con yet since I don't know if I can go.  If one of you boys who participated before wants to put in for the panel instead, by all means, please submit the panel.  Sorry, guys.
Oh crap! That means were down to only men making up this show.
In all seriousness, if no one else steps up I would like to take up managing the panel. I ran the preview version last year so I don't think I'll mess it up that badly. lol
But yeah, I would like to get the other comedians' input on this.

Quote from: HunterZero on January 24, 2011, 05:19:29 PM
I'm not overly aware of what's involved in putting on this panel, but if someone needs some assistance I'll help out if I can.  Just send me a message since I have no idea what's involved.

Assistance from his evil tentacleness would sound awesome. I guess we'll give you a pm as soon as as we sort out this situation. ^^

G-Force

Hey guys thought I'd post in and say that I think I know some people who are good at hosting and organizing panels. Ever since I entered Last Comic Standing I've been keeping tabs with the Sol Cal nerd comedians and have done a few extra shows with them. They're affiliated with a great nerd standup group call Comics on Comics and have connections with many comedians in the area. If anything we can add them to our numbers as we've always had an issue with time.  

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/home.php?sk=group_134342019956439&ap=1

The two possible outcomes I can foresee are....

1. They submit the paper work and register the panel under their name and they're in charge/
2. One of us proposes the idea and we run the show and invite them to perform for open mic.

To all the fans and supports let me first say that I've always stressed that this thing was Aya's show and we have our own solid roster of fan favorites. These guys are more than capable of running a comedy club and will be doing so at AOD next month. The question is what you guys want to do. I owe you guys a lot for the support you've given me and I would have never gone on to do bigger things if it wasn't for my training and practice here. The decision needs to be made and it needs to be made soon. If nothing is said I'll just tell the group to make the panel as it's better to have them run the comedy club than have no comedy club at all but I feel like this is a huge step and we should talk about a bit.

Glitch

Bringing in some people to help us sounds cool.(which is also what I think we should do with Hunterzero)
In my opinion, if we bring in this comedy team I think we should still keep it a panel run by us fanime comedians. I'll take your word that these guys are funny as hell. XD
I think we should get everybody's input before deciding.(which is what I'm trying to do)

passLion

Inviting others to host the panel has its risks, in a way sounds like we're giving up the baton and let them have it (and that's the risk is if they take over).

It's not hard to do a panel, just contact them about what we want to do, lay it out to them what will be happen.
Sorta, type up a small treatment so they know all the who what when where why hows.

Personally I'm up for anything as long as we're recognized and everyone gets their spotlight.

Glitch is doing a great job organizing and doing leadership so far, I'm comfortable if he decides to "run" the panel.

Also, I'll probably be needing more than 6 minutes, would everyone be ok if we have the 1.5-2 hour panel slot?

Admiral Donuts

Just gonna toss out that I'd like to participate this year IF it goes ahead and IF things work out and I attend FanimeCon again. If there's some kinda deadline or whatnot that I need to confirm, lemme know.

Been working on a sort of act since I heard about the "panel" after attending my first con last year. Six minutes would be more than enough time for it.

I've never done any stand-up, but I've done plenty of public speaking and a little comedy-based acting so I'm thinking it's not too much of a stretch. The worst that can happen is I get booed off the stage, shunned, stripped down, branded a "forgotten one", and forced to live my life in exile away from civilization, right?

Here's hoping!

havok rt

Well I'd prefer if one of us regulars ran the panel if not one of you guys then I'll host if needed.
Fanime Staff:2010 Social Gaming, 2012 Tabletop Gaming

Cosplay for 2012: Walking around with "The Most Interesting Man In the World" (aka the dos equis guy)

Glitch

I guess it comes down to who puts down their name on the entry for the panel, but for running it we're likely to have a group effort.
I guess we have to decide soon.(I think) ^_^;

Glitch

Okay. Since time draws closer, I'm gonna throw out the option of me doing the signing up part and somebody else who wants to can be the 2nd person on the entry form. Who votes for this?
I will add that if somebody wants to do it another way, I will be glad to hear that out too. :)

True Fuschnick

I've only been with you guys at last year's panel, so I dont feel I've any right to an opinion; or at least, my opinion probably shouldnt have any weight, but I'm comfortable with G 'running' this. He always seems to be on point whenever I'm at a panel he's at.

And this is Soap, by the way.

And when are the sign-ups starting? I want to...uh....sign up.

Glitch

Quote from: True Fuschnick on February 20, 2011, 11:27:01 PM
I've only been with you guys at last year's panel, so I dont feel I've any right to an opinion; or at least, my opinion probably shouldnt have any weight, but I'm comfortable with G 'running' this. He always seems to be on point whenever I'm at a panel he's at.

And this is Soap, by the way.

And when are the sign-ups starting? I want to...uh....sign up.
Heya Soap,dude.
We are collectively running this panel. The comedic veterans of the panel that is. I sent in the application for the panel a while ago and I am acting as sort of the middle man between the panel and the con.
The group of vets has the final say but everybody's opinion does have some weight. In a short while I will post the 2011 edition sign ups here on the boards. It'll basically be the same procedure as last year.

Fazio

Hey guys!  This is Fazio, one of the "comedy vets" G was talking about.

I just want to stress that we DID NOT WANT TO TAKE OVER YOUR PANEL!  Our concern was really that it wasn't going to happen.  We only have one goal and it's pretty simple: bring comedy to anime and game conventions.  We're not trying to take over the world.  We just want to make people laugh.

We recently had a show at AOD that went REALLY well.  We had a packed house and everyone was hilarious (including G).  We are also affiliated with the guys who put on AX's Last Comic Standing, and we recently had a show during Anime LA.  What we'd like to do is combine forces with you.  Most of us are in SoCal, so it's hard for us to come up North every month or so.  If you guys can do conventions like this, we'd be more than happy to provide and services you might need.

What I think is best is if we can do these comedy shows under one banner.  If we can have a single name that grows with every con instead of a bunch of small competing stand up shows, than it would really benefit everyone.  We'd get bigger conventions and maybe even do something like PAX or Comic-Con someday!

Again, we do not want to take over your show.  We just think it helps everyone if we work together.  There's strength in numbers.

I'm looking forward to participating in your show.  Hope you all think I'm funny lol

-Fazio

heeroyuy135

I can vouch for these guys and their mission. I've seen their work and the progress they've made from convention to convention.