Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Tournamet @ Fanime 2007

Started by lying is an art form, December 27, 2006, 01:36:29 AM

CompyFranko

The only way to set levels to 50 or 100 automatically is to play over a wireless network connected to the internet.  It is doubtful that there will be a network at the con we can just tap into.  I have been trying to create a portable wireless network, but it has proven difficult so far, and requires something otaku don't have a lot of: cash.

edit

I just heard that San Jose has city wide wi-fi access.  I'm not sure if its true, but if it is, I might be able to tap into it and get a wi-fi network going for us.
HYPAH BEAM!

Asa_Gohan

great I got my DS and pearl on tuesday...and I only have 6 badges Dx And I have 7 days to get my lvl 100 pokemon O.O NOT GOOD DX

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

Asa_Gohan

great I got my DS and pearl on tuesday...and I only have 6 badges Dx And I have 7 days to get my lvl 100 pokemon O.O NOT GOOD DX

trupnoi

i've been migrating alot of my O.D. [read not Hacked] Pokemon... which we should be able to use right?!

abcbadcat

Not all of downtown san jose has wifi and the wifi must be compatable with the DS which isn't always the fact.

Magical Senpai

Anyone up for a massive Underground party? I need to meet 28 more people until I can go into that one place where you can catch Spiritomb. I'm also good for a massive CTF match as well.

Blue Impulse

Is this gonna be like... official tourney style... I.E. No banned characters, this includes, legendaries and some others, I can't remember which but I believe wabofet ..... thats all I can remember haha
0001 Registered User at Fanime 06'

Kanzake

rules please? >.o i trained my Legendaries (only palkia and dialga) to 100... and if theyre banned i needa quickly swap em out of my party for some mid lvl chars
Fanime Rovers Department 2nd - Ku

trupnoi

this sounds pretty accurate to me:

# You are not to have the same item held by more than one Pokemon on your team.
# No one hit KO moves are permitted.
# You are not allowed to use more than one Pokemon of the same species.  For example, you can't have two Metagross' on the same team etc.
# Double Team and Minimize are banned.
# Action Replay or Gameshark Stat "Benefitters" are not allowed.  For example, Metagross's Max Attack is 405, His attack should not be over that mark.
# The Battle will be a 6 on 6 Double Battle (For Strategy Reasons.)  Pokemon are encouraged to be on Level 100.
# Once you know who your opponent is, contact them and link up.
# No Legendary Pokemon are allowed, even Trio Pokemon including Lati@s.  Here is a List for an example:
Zapados
Articuno
Moltres
Mewtwo
Mew
Suicune
Entei
Raikou
Lugia
Ho-oh
Celebi
Latios
Latias
Regirock
Registeel
Regice
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Jirachi
Deoxys
Mesprit
Uxie
Azelf
Dialga
Palkia
Heatran
Regigigas
Giratina
Cresselia
Phione
Manaphy
Shaymin
Darkrai
Arceus
Wobbuffet

Asa_Gohan

Dude....You cant ban Minimize and Double team >.> No offense but thats just a dumb idea....If you did that you know what you would possibly see more of?
Garchomp+Sandstorm....Or in double battles, Garchomp+That one hippo pokemon that casts sandstorm when it comes out.
And I think you should be able to hold the same item with more then one pokemon
btw I think it should also be pokemon stadium style. You list 6 pokemon that you are going to use. And when you challenge your opponent, you use only 3 out of those 6 pokemon. And to help determine what pokemon you are going to use, you may look at your opponent's roaster of 6 and then determine the best 3 pokemon that you have that would stand up to his possible selection of 3

rctan9

These are the standard rules people see online, and a small example on each.

Standard Wi-Fi Rules
- Species Clause ONE Pokemon of any given number per team.
- No Ubers Ubers are Pokemon with MASSIVE stats. They are often deemed unfair.

#150 Mewtwo
   #151 Mew
   #202 Wobbuffet
   #249 Lugia
   #250 Ho-oh
   #360 Wynaut
   #380 Latias
   #381 Latios
   #382 Kyogre
   #383 Groudon
   #384 Rayquaza
   #386 Deoxys (All forms)
   #483 Dialga
   #484 Palkia
   #487 Giratina
   #491 Darkrai
   #493 Arceus

Evade clause Moves like Double Team are banned, as they are REALLY annoying.

Sleep Clause You are only allowed to put one Opponent Pokemon to sleep (or freeze) at any given time. REST DOES NOT COUNT, if you use Rest, switch, and they put another of your Pokemon to sleep, you used Rest, not the problem of your opponent.

Self KO Clause Only 1 Pokemon may use a Suicide combo (such as Explosion or a combo with Perish song). Also if you cause a double KO with an above said move on the last Pokemon standing, YOU LOSE.
Generally banned Items Focus Band, Quick Claw, Brightpowder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use these rules. They are the MOST FAIR rules and it's pretty much unarguable.

If there is Wifi and lvl 50/100 adjust, I'm in. If not, I don't have 6 level 100's so I will just spectate and trade

Asa_Gohan

Yes and from there we'll get the legendary dogs, birds, the psychic trio of celebi, mew, and jirachi and yeah...So...
-No Legendaries
-No using 2 of the same pokemon
The rest should be legal -_- Except for the Ko part which is something I agree with
However if they are using things like Double Team and what not, you should be using things such as swift, and shockwave to hit them...
It should be pokemon stadium rules!

Smikey

Quote from: "rctan9"
Use these rules. They are the MOST FAIR rules and it's pretty much unarguable.

If there is Wifi and lvl 50/100 adjust, I'm in. If not, I don't have 6 level 100's so I will just spectate and trade

Oh, it's arguable. Sad to say this is how my first post has to end out...Seriously, for instance, banning quick claw. Guess what this means, slower pokemon have to go last, and it gives the opponent the chance to OHKO them, with their weakness or an attack that does x4 not even counting STAB.

The Sleep Clause, is pretty lame too. Some peoples teams rely on status affects. It also takes the fun out of a team, it makes people rethink there strategies to what if's and makes people so a lot of strategizing...

QuoteAlso if you cause a double KO with an above said move on the last Pokemon standing, YOU LOSE.

One word. Lame. It is part of the game, you are basically turning the game into most powerful pokemon wins contest and not best strategy. Lol, the newbies shall flow.

EDIT:

I think Asa_Gohan has the best idea for the team selection, Select 6 then out of that 6 use 3 and you have to use it the entire tournament. Then, No using 2 of the same pokemon, then not banning Double Team and the such, and bringing a team with Swift and Shockwave. Makes it more fun.

But, the list of Ubers/Legendaries that rctan9 posted should be enforced and none of them be allowed to be on any team.

Asa_Gohan

Again Stadium Rules ftw ^^ and yes this enforces the no legendaries rule because yeah I have to agree that legendaries are over powered....However they are legendaries for a reason...

Smikey

Yes, they are. There are a few legendaries which are total crap tho...Regigigas anyone?

lying is an art form

rctan9's rules aren't lame, they're standard and what most people deem fair.

If you have a problem with slower Pokemon going last, use the move that makes slower Pokemon go first. AND it's your fault for not EV training them properly if you're worried for their speed.

Relying on status effects means you pretty much don't have the skills to train your Pokemon correctly.

How is losing because of a double KO lame? Would you prefer a draw? Draws are lame. Again you're relying on cheap tactics to win.

The idea is we ban ALL evasion tactics. Do you know how annoying it is to try and hit a mofo with six Double Team layers? AND I don't think we all carry roasters in our pockets to show each other before a Pokemon battle.

The official Wi-Fi rules should be followed because if you're joining to play in this tournament, you might as well be prepped for online battles.
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!

mDuo13

There was a big, long debate about double team on GameFAQs, and the general concensus is that it makes matches just stupid boring. Especially when you can Baton Pass your evasion on to another pokemon (Umbreon is the case in this category). With items like Leftovers out there, pokemon can survive basically indefinitely; even when both players run out of PP, they might be able to keep going. And that's not fun. Sure, there are moves like Swift, Shockwave, Aerial Ace, and Aura Sphere that can get through evasion, but those moves are weak compared to similar moves in their types, and therefore you create three types of teams: Double Team, Anti-Double Team, and Normal (neither). Double Team beats Normal, Anti-Double Team beats Double Team, and Normal beats Anti-Double Team, which basically converts the entire tournament into a huge game of rock-paper-scissors. "More fun?" I think not.

Just like why Wobbuffet is considered an uber even though his stats aren't that amazing: Wynaut -> Wobbufet means that he can have Encore; combine that with Shadow Tag and you can trap an opponent into a situation where he literally CANNOT do anything, even switch out, and continue to do so for turn after turn. Just not fun.

rctan9 has the right idea and his rules should be followed.

More importantly however, when is this tournament going to be held?

Smikey

Quote from: "lying is an art form"rctan9's rules aren't lame, they're standard and what most people deem fair.

If you have a problem with slower Pokemon going last, use the move that makes slower Pokemon go first. AND it's your fault for not EV training them properly if you're worried for their speed.

Relying on status effects means you pretty much don't have the skills to train your Pokemon correctly.

How is losing because of a double KO lame? Would you prefer a draw? Draws are lame. Again you're relying on cheap tactics to win.

The idea is we ban ALL evasion tactics. Do you know how annoying it is to try and hit a mofo with six Double Team layers? AND I don't think we all carry roasters in our pockets to show each other before a Pokemon battle.

The official Wi-Fi rules should be followed because if you're joining to play in this tournament, you might as well be prepped for online battles.

Slower pokemon can be EV trained for speed, what if the opponent did the same thing. Not gonna matter, slow pokemon are naturally slow, regardless of extra Stat Boosts.

Setting up Status effects take skill. Again, you are proving my point that only power matters. Prepare your team with berries to avoid certain status's.

Losing to a Double KO's is part of the game, if you are down to one pokemon and the opponent has one or more than you if you guys are equal skill then chances are you are gonna lose anyways.

Double Team, more reason for people to run Swift and the such.

No one carries Roster's sure, but if you are gonna have a tourney have a reg process, with like binder paper with people showing the team, and if someone has a complaint of someone using a legendary, ask to see their team, then check their boxes and then ask the accuser what the level of the legendary was and what attacks it had. Simple. It may be a slight hassle, but it stops Legendary users.

QuoteJust like why Wobbuffet is considered an uber even though his stats aren't that amazing: Wynaut -> Wobbufet means that he can have Encore; combine that with Shadow Tag and you can trap an opponent into a situation where he literally CANNOT do anything, even switch out, and continue to do so for turn after turn. Just not fun.

Which is why is on the Uber/Banned list, which probably be enforced.

Asa_Gohan

Quote from: "Smikey"Yes, they are. There are a few legendaries which are total crap tho...Regigigas anyone?
Wait what? Regigigas isnt crap...He has the 12th best stats out of all the pokemon in the game >.>
btw
Im for the double KO rule
The no legendaries rule
and I guess now Im against the double team rule...
though Im still against the banning of items