Question Concerning Cosplaying While Pregnant?

Started by mikasa-san, January 30, 2014, 06:57:45 PM

mikasa-san

Certain events in my own life, plus having a few female friends who are expecting, have led me to inquire about this.

Any cosplays to stay away from? I know a few of them want to do Sailor Moon. Personally I feel like even though you have a belly it shouldn't prevent you from being able to enjoy the convention. I haven't really run into... actually ANY people at Fanime, who were cosplaying while expecting. I've seen some interesting stuff online though, especially from ComicCon where they even work in the belly to their cosplay lol.

Any thoughts, tips, or advice on this matter?  :) :)
FANIME 2015 COSPLAYS:
Maleficent
Poland (for Gong Show)

mikasa-san

Also, the tips I gave my friends were this:

Comfortable shoes are a MUST, you will be on your feet for extended periods of time
Cosplays that are breathable, there's nothing worse than overheating
Cosplays with senses of humor are also really fantastic haha  ;)
FANIME 2015 COSPLAYS:
Maleficent
Poland (for Gong Show)

BunofGovt

Even if pregnant, I don't see why your friend(s) couldn't fashion a version of Sailor Moon to wear and be comfortable in, and still be recognized as Sailor Moon (same colors, the white top, blue skirt, blond hair) etc but looser.  Or as long as the hair were recognizable, wear a regular outfit.

Certainly stay away from an outfit that you can't take off in a hurry (like for bathroom breaks, one of my friends used to go to the bathroom every hour when she was expecting her baby).  On that note, be aware of exits and bathrooms, and places to sit or relax when needed.  Carry snacks and liquids.  You don't have to go everywhere, do everything, make sure you allow for nap times if you need it.

Make any male friends (or even non-pregnant friends) wear a fake belly under their outfits (can you imagine a whole Sailor Moon gathering with pregnant Sailors?).
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

mikasa-san

OMG that's an awesome idea! It's funny and efficient lol. I should ask them if their bf's would be willing to do pregnant male Sailor Moon characters.

Also the tips were awesome thanks  ;D
FANIME 2015 COSPLAYS:
Maleficent
Poland (for Gong Show)

Anix

If they want to do Sailor Moon maybe not the scout uniform, but something along the lines of one of the formal moon dresses. The one below is good because it is tight under the bust and then loose.
We are a little mad here.
The question is are you going to use your powers for good or for awesome

mikasa-san

You do have a point there. That and I think the moon dresses are far prettier and more fun to accessorize  ;D
FANIME 2015 COSPLAYS:
Maleficent
Poland (for Gong Show)

Acey Arisen

Quote from: BunofGovt on January 30, 2014, 08:02:27 PMMake any male friends (or even non-pregnant friends) wear a fake belly under their outfits (can you imagine a whole Sailor Moon gathering with pregnant Sailors?).

I like this idea. XD

While I've never been pregnant and never plan to be, from what I've heard about pregnancy, all the advice given so far seems pretty sound! And I'm gonna second the moon dress thing--I know very little about Sailor Moon (shameful, I know!), but the dress is gorgeous and it seems far more practical for a pregnant woman than the regular outfit. :)
My Tumblr
Planned 2016 cosplays: Amethyst (SU), God Tier Roxy (HS), Summer (Rick And Morty), Ebony Dark'Ness Dementia Raven Way (My Immortal)

Anix

The moon dress in the picture is the Princess form from the flash backs. There is a Queen Serenity form, but unfortunately it is a lot tighter fitting. I suggested that one because it's elegant without being constrictive around the tummers. Also, it could be worn again even after the pregnancy.
We are a little mad here.
The question is are you going to use your powers for good or for awesome