Don't Ever Drink From Hotel Glasses

Started by Kouri Neko, December 27, 2007, 12:03:12 PM

Kouri Neko

If you travel or stay in hotels, you have to watch this.  I'm not sure if the Fanime Hotel rooms will have glasses, but if they do, you may want to consider not using them in the near future. 

Click here: Don't Ever Drink From Hotel Glasses
http://www.bestviral.com/video/6629/dont_ever_drink_from_hotel_glasses

I'm not a Mecha Anime fan..

ip136

If you want to worry about that you might as well inform everyone never to use the comforters either.
From what I've been told, general policy is to clean them in the laundry about once every 6 months or so, unless it has visible stains.
Clicky my Art Pwease?

Kouri Neko

Quote from: ip136 on December 27, 2007, 12:34:52 PM
If you want to worry about that you might as well inform everyone never to use the comforters either.
From what I've been told, general policy is to clean them in the laundry about once every 6 months or so, unless it has visible stains.

Eeewww..  That's gross too. 
I'm not a Mecha Anime fan..

PyronIkari

Not suprised, but it's rather bias'ed.

The same can be said about almost anything anywhere. Many restaurants are that different in terms of just glasses or silverware, or plates etc.

But then you look at other things. How often does a bus clean its interior. How often are gas station pumps really sanitized, public bathrooms, anything at Bart. The sheets and blankets aren't cleaned very well at all, but neither are the majority of the things at any store. Any of you ever work a retail job and share stories about how "well the store was cleaned"? Chances are the things you pick up on shelves to read, receipts, counter tops, etc. never get really sanitized other than a spray down of some surface cleaner.

People are overly paranoid because of the *CHANCE* of getting something. But the chances are extremely low, and in most cases it's visible if something is that dirty. In which case the glass WOULD be taken and replaced and put in a dishwasher(if there were stains or other things).

Here, I'll use a fun one. The ketchup dispenser at McDonalds, the napkin dispenser, the straw dispenser, and sauce bottles. You think those are sanitized... or... even ever replaced? That sauce bottle has just been refilled over and over and over and over again for the past some odd 3 years. It was hillarious one time when I saw a sauce bottle at a restaurant with an over due date of about 2 1/2 years because they just use the bottle and refill it constantly.

If you're going to go with odds, the chances of you getting something from drinking from a hotel glass(that you can clean yourself) is about as likely as you getting something equally as bad by going out to a restaurant and eating. Odds are on my side, so I don't mind it.

G.I.R

Uhg  Think about those self service drink cells / ice dispensers at fast food places, and convenience stores.  Doesn't matter if they are cleaned daily, they're still exposed to who knows what thru-out the day.  Never mind the cups and lids out in the open too.

BunofGovt

Meh.  I wash out my drinking mug at work even though I've only left it overnight.  We've got some 'dust' floating down from the ceiling due to construction, but I'm overly cautious.  I wash my hands every half hour or something like that.

But I figure whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger.  I'll build up an immunity sooner or later ...  :P
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

phoenixphire24

Quote from: Kouri Neko on December 27, 2007, 12:03:12 PM
If you travel or stay in hotels, you have to watch this.  I'm not sure if the Fanime Hotel rooms will have glasses, but if they do, you may want to consider not using them in the near future. 

Just fill them full of alcohol: sanitizing and yummy!  ;)

yamikuronue

Hmm.. rinsing them then drying them with dirty bath towels? That's far more than an acceptable risk. You don't put your mouth on napkin, straw, or ice dispensers - you put your mouth on something that's touched someone else's dirty bath towel! I think I'll be paying $3 for a bunch of plastic cups for me and my roommates this con, ugh

Moonblossom

To play the devil's advocate here, these shows make their money on sensationalism, of course they're only going to show you the gross bits. It's entirely possible the glasses are throroughly washed between guests, it's common practice to not clean quite as carefully when you know the same group of people is going to be in the room later. The cameras never stayed in the rooms between bookings.

Furthermore, there are plenty of other hotel chains they never even mentioned, namely ones like the Marriott, Hilton, and other con hotels. It's possible they stayed there too and were foiled by proper sanitation practices.

That being said, I think I'm still going to stick to drinking from my water bottle for a while ><''

Tony

Quote from: Moonblossom on January 09, 2008, 04:37:37 PMThat being said, I think I'm still going to stick to drinking from my water bottle for a while ><''
I hope you wash it every day! Imagine all that backwashed water, just sitting there, bacteria from your mouth happily growing for hours and hours in the container...  ;D
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Moonblossom

I do, actually! I tend to put flavoured powders in my water, so I wash it out when I'm done. :)

Also, I usually drink from a straw, since it's got a fairly wide mouth and makes a big drippy mess if I just pour it into my mouth.

red_thestrals

*stares at monitor for a long time*
"damn!"

IamTetsuo

Well to be fair the blue liquid was a generic glass cleaner similar to windex, and the clear was *probably* diluted bleach water, or soapy water. The windex cleaning I wouldn't trust, it's not going to kill you, but its not very sanitary either.  The bleach water (assuming it was a water/bleach mixture it's entirely possible it was just water) is actually very sanitary.  Bleach kills *everything* and a bleach water rinse is standard cleaning procedure for restaurants that don't have a dish washer/sanitizer.

Runewitt

Quote from: phoenixphire24 on December 28, 2007, 10:55:10 AM

Just fill them full of alcohol: sanitizing and yummy!  ;)
mmhmmm though, i take my own glass for that.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Dragon Ninja

What an eye-opening report. I think I'll be taking some cup with me, just to be safe.

Fanime 2013:
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto Shippuden)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
The 9th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Downloads & Fansubs are evil. Support the Anime industry. Buy DVDs NOW

LadyKaren

So that's where I got my staph infection from. Heh.

Jerry

Quote from: LadyKaren on January 13, 2008, 05:51:26 AM
So that's where I got my staph infection from. Heh.

i suppose i would say something...

but im just gonna keep thinking happy/pleasant thoughts.  :)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Moonblossom

Come to think of it, I had a friend pick up a case of mono at Anime Expo a few years back... We teased her mercilessly for a while, implying it was someone she'd roomed with (we had a bunch of rooms, she wasn't in the same room I was). Now I'm wondering if it was from a glass. The hotel (not a con hotel, something close by) was.. not the cleanest I'd ever stayed in. There was this hideous oily film in the hot tub too, that was pretty gross.

phoenixphire24

Quote from: PyronIkari on December 27, 2007, 01:11:10 PM
Not suprised, but it's rather bias'ed.

The same can be said about almost anything anywhere. Many restaurants are that different in terms of just glasses or silverware, or plates etc.

But then you look at other things. How often does a bus clean its interior. How often are gas station pumps really sanitized, public bathrooms, anything at Bart. The sheets and blankets aren't cleaned very well at all, but neither are the majority of the things at any store. Any of you ever work a retail job and share stories about how "well the store was cleaned"? Chances are the things you pick up on shelves to read, receipts, counter tops, etc. never get really sanitized other than a spray down of some surface cleaner.

People are overly paranoid because of the *CHANCE* of getting something. But the chances are extremely low, and in most cases it's visible if something is that dirty. In which case the glass WOULD be taken and replaced and put in a dishwasher(if there were stains or other things).

Here, I'll use a fun one. The ketchup dispenser at McDonalds, the napkin dispenser, the straw dispenser, and sauce bottles. You think those are sanitized... or... even ever replaced? That sauce bottle has just been refilled over and over and over and over again for the past some odd 3 years. It was hillarious one time when I saw a sauce bottle at a restaurant with an over due date of about 2 1/2 years because they just use the bottle and refill it constantly.

If you're going to go with odds, the chances of you getting something from drinking from a hotel glass(that you can clean yourself) is about as likely as you getting something equally as bad by going out to a restaurant and eating. Odds are on my side, so I don't mind it.

I totally agree. You're going to a con with +10,000 people there. Chances are, if you're going to get sick, it's going to because you're in a small area with tons of people rather than from a hotel glass. How many people are pushing the buttons on the elevator, sitting in the chairs in the viewing rooms, picking up DVDs and manga in the dealers room, touching the joysick and buttons in the gaming room? You're far more likely to get sick just from breating the air in the convention center than drinking from a glass.

AbsolutelyCursed