Teen Killed By Roller Coaster

Started by BrightHeart76, June 28, 2008, 06:31:04 PM

BrightHeart76

This just sounds horrible.   :o

I feel bad for the people who were on the ride when this happened.  I don't have a lot of pity for some fool who jumped fences and ignored warning signs.  Still...what a terrible way to go!

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5icJKWwVpBMEbT5HEKFrs_UBNUgWQD91JDTFO1

SC teen struck, killed by Six Flags coaster in Ga.
By MIKE STOBBE – 30 minutes ago

AUSTELL, Ga. (AP) — A teenager was decapitated by a roller coaster after he hopped a pair of fences and entered a restricted area Saturday at Six Flags Over Georgia, authorities said.

Six Flags officials are uncertain why the unidentified 17-year-old from Columbia, S.C. scaled two six-foot fences and passed signs that said the restricted area was both off-limits and dangerous to visitors, spokeswoman Hela Sheth said in a news release.

Authorities were investigating reports from witnesses who said the teenager jumped the fences to retrieve a hat he lost while riding the Batman roller coaster, said Cobb County police Sgt. Dana Pierce. Police have declined to release the teenager's name until an autopsy is completed.

Six Flags said it closed the roller coaster after the Saturday afternoon accident out of respect for the teen's family. The ride was expected to reopen on Sunday, according to a Six Flags news release.

Police said the ride was going full-speed when the teen was struck. The ride's top speed is 50 mph, according to the park's Web site.

No one riding on the roller coaster was injured, Sheth said. The teen was with another boy who also entered the restricted area but was not injured, Pierce said.

The teen and his parents were at the park with a group from the Oakey Spring Baptist Church near Springfield, S.C., police said.

In May 2002, 58-year-old groundskeeper Samuel Milton Guyton of Atlanta was killed after he wandered in a restricted area under the Batman roller coaster's path and was struck in the head by the dangling leg of one of the ride's passengers. The ride was closed for a day to allow the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration to inspect the ride. It was deemed safe for passengers.

In June 2007, a teenager's legs were severed when cables snapped on the Superman Tower of Power ride at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville, Ky. Doctors were able to reattach Kaitlyn Lasitter's right foot, but she had to have some of her left leg amputated and subsequent surgeries.

State officials blame a faulty cable and slow response by an amusement park ride operator in the accident. Her family is suing Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, claiming the park failed to maintain the ride and equipment and ensure riders' safety. The amusement park has denied liability in court filings.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

rude32

People dying on Batman and Superman rides huh. Thats why I don't trust DC
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Sunara Ishi

Didn't something like that happen locally at Great America? Where someone jumped the fence to get a hat and was decapitated.

Its rather sad. No hat is worth one's life.
I think it would be sadder if it turns out he jumped the fence to get the other kid out. D:
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

TC X0 Lt 0X

Simple fact, you wait for the coaster cars to pass before you retrieve your hat, not when the coaster is 5 meters to the right.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Sunara Ishi on June 28, 2008, 07:21:03 PM
Didn't something like that happen locally at Great America? Where someone jumped the fence to get a hat and was decapitated.

Its rather sad. No hat is worth one's life.
I think it would be sadder if it turns out he jumped the fence to get the other kid out. D:

I don't remember anyone being decapitated by any of the coasters at Great America, but I'm sure everyone who lives in the area and has gone to Great America remember the story of the kid that fell off of Drop Zone.

On another note, my friends safety locks on the Top Gun coaster at great America have malfunctioned, twice, and the only thing stoping his from flying off was the little loose seat belt strap and him hanging on for dear life.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on June 28, 2008, 06:31:04 PM
In May 2002, 58-year-old groundskeeper Samuel Milton Guyton of Atlanta was killed after he wandered in a restricted area under the Batman roller coaster's path and was struck in the head by the dangling leg of one of the ride's passengers. The ride was closed for a day to allow the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration to inspect the ride. It was deemed safe for passengers.

Hurr, oh wow. I was just reading this article a second ago, but this article was written quite differently...

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=6871329&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

QuoteCOBB COUNTY, Ga. (MyFox Atlanta) – Investigators with Cobb County police said a boy was decapitated at Six Flags amusement park Saturday.

Authorities said the incident happened just after 2:00 p.m. Saturday.  A church group went to the amusement park and a group of boys with the group jumped a fence and entered an area that was marked off limits.

One of the boys jumped up and tried to grab someone's feet who was on the Batman ride.  The boy ended up being decapitated.

Investigators did not release the boy's age, name or the name of the church the boy was traveling with.

:|

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

JTchinoy

Didn't this happen at great america a few years ago as well? except it was a guy who couldn't read english so he couldn't read the warning signs/

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

BrightHeart76

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on June 28, 2008, 07:53:12 PM

Hurr, oh wow. I was just reading this article a second ago, but this article was written quite differently...

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=6871329&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

QuoteCOBB COUNTY, Ga. (MyFox Atlanta) – Investigators with Cobb County police said a boy was decapitated at Six Flags amusement park Saturday.

Authorities said the incident happened just after 2:00 p.m. Saturday.  A church group went to the amusement park and a group of boys with the group jumped a fence and entered an area that was marked off limits.

One of the boys jumped up and tried to grab someone's feet who was on the Batman ride.  The boy ended up being decapitated.

Investigators did not release the boy's age, name or the name of the church the boy was traveling with.

:|

Hmmm...it'll be interesting to see what the official story is once all the details are investigated.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Kazuko

Quote from: JTchinoy on June 28, 2008, 08:13:21 PM
Didn't this happen at great america a few years ago as well? except it was a guy who couldn't read english so he couldn't read the warning signs/

Yeah I remember that story

also the kid who got his legs torn off during top gun or something like that

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Kazuko on June 28, 2008, 10:06:38 PM

God I love that Coaster.

When did this happen though? I haven't heard of this.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

JohnnyAR

I heard something like that happened to this girl, both her clean off! they were able sow one of them back on, the other... nope.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: JohnnyAR on June 28, 2008, 11:16:56 PM

I heard something like that happened to this girl, both her clean off! they were able sow one of them back on, the other... nope.

I think it was on that ride where they strap you onto a harness and you drop from high up in the air, and some sort of loose cable went askew and sliced her feet off. Eh... It should be on the internet somewhere, but I's too lazy to look it up for you guys.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

BrightHeart76

This is from the article I posted at the top of the page.

In June 2007, a teenager's legs were severed when cables snapped on the Superman Tower of Power ride at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville, Ky. Doctors were able to reattach Kaitlyn Lasitter's right foot, but she had to have some of her left leg amputated and subsequent surgeries.

State officials blame a faulty cable and slow response by an amusement park ride operator in the accident. Her family is suing Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, claiming the park failed to maintain the ride and equipment and ensure riders' safety. The amusement park has denied liability in court filings.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on June 29, 2008, 08:15:00 AM

This is from the article I posted at the top of the page.

Haha, whoops.

I think the incident that I'm thinking of, about the girl who had her feet sliced clean off her ankles was on a Drop-Zone-like ride, actually.

FanimaidCafe.com

Lactose

Quote from: rude32 on June 28, 2008, 06:53:03 PM
People dying on Batman and Superman rides huh. Thats why I don't trust DC

win.

thread over.
Lactose = Liz