Only in my city

Started by BrightHeart76, July 01, 2009, 07:51:37 PM

BrightHeart76

Ladies and Gentlemen I humbly submit proof that my entire city is insane.  These are pictures of the annual "cattle drive" down one of the busiest intersections in Northern Nevada.  I believe that part of the cattle drive was actually ON Highway 395 this year.  You can see the overpass in some of the pictures. See the one with the 7-11 sign?  Yeah, that's just a few blocks from where I live, it is ALWAYS busy there. Sigh.  Only in my city.

I'm just curious.  What bizarre traditions are observed in your towns and cities?  Are you a fan?  

I enjoy a lot of of our annual events...however the cattle drive and following Rodeo are not on my list of favorites.

Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Mi Feng

Haha funny pictures ^^ But WOW 0.0
Our rodeo was in May but it wasn't as big as this, I never attend those kinda thing either.

Runewitt

ours was in may, too. there's a parade down the main street every year, and last year my brother's venture crew took first place for their float.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

TC X0 Lt 0X

This event seems very unnecessary.

In my town we have a festivle every 2 or so months. It is sad and full of fail. Not like the Garlic Festival in Gilroy just south of us. Even if Gilroy is a wasteland, at least they can be proud of there Garlic...

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

XpHoBiaX

Cow Bingo. ???

And they drive cattle here too.

And there is a Historical event where people dress up in cowboy attire and shoot people. I like that one.You can take old fashion pictures and ride in carriages.
There is also a Dandelion days faire, and a frog jump, and a duck derby....and an annual hot august nights thing...Classic Cars showcase....and uhm...I think the Celtic fest already happened.  During Xmas you get to walk the mainstreet and the shops give you cookies and cider. I always hang at the Celtic Knot shop cuz the Irish give me whiskey!!! I bring my own shot glass XD Or if I have cider I share and we get drunk. o.o;; Happy Holidays! XD
But yeah that is what I know happens, probably more stuff but I haven't looked.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

DentyneIce408

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on July 02, 2009, 01:27:22 AM

In my town we have a festivle every 2 or so months. It is sad and full of fail. Not like the Garlic Festival in Gilroy just south of us. Even if Gilroy is a wasteland, at least they can be proud of there Garlic...

I think Morgan Hill does the Mushroom Festival. I always wanted to go to those kinds of events, parade and all. The last parade I went to I ended up being in it. It was in San Francisco, I was in the Marching Unit from NJROTC. It was a long walk and we had to these routines. But it was fun.I was 16 I think  :P
- Shall I leave my mark whether it's good or bad?
- As long as people remember me famous or infamous,
- I  will remain and roam in this world Alive or Dead.

BrightHeart76

OMG!!  How did I MISS this one?  It's a SuperHero Pub Crawl.  A whole bunch of locals got dressed up as SuperHeroes and did a pub crawl thru downtown Reno.  It's like cosplay...with booze recommended!!!  I must do this one next year!  (Pictures stolen from Facebook...seriously look up Reno Nevada on Facebook and look thru the superhero pubcrawl album...it's hilarious and you boys will really like some of the female type superheroes...just saying).

Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Runewitt

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on July 03, 2009, 01:57:28 AM
And there is a Historical event where people dress up in cowboy attire and shoot people.

my family used to be part of a group that did/ does that. do you remember what they were called?

XpHoBiaX

No.... :( I just know they're an old west re-enactment(sp?) group. They travel all through Jackson, Sutter Creek, Dry Town, Fiddle Town and several other small historical towns. They also show up in Angels' Camp for the Old West/Pioneer days or whatever it's called.

I'll look it up though.

I rofl'd at the "Super Glue" hero....gotta go to Reno. XD~! My Artist friend has a tattoo studio in Reno. X3

2010 cosplay...?

Runewitt

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on July 14, 2009, 11:12:11 AM
No.... :( I just know they're an old west re-enactment(sp?) group. They travel all through Jackson, Sutter Creek, Dry Town, Fiddle Town and several other small historical towns. They also show up in Angels' Camp for the Old West/Pioneer days or whatever it's called.

I'll look it up though.

I rofl'd at the "Super Glue" hero....gotta go to Reno. XD~! My Artist friend has a tattoo studio in Reno. X3
thx. was kinda wondering if it was our old group. Legends of the American West used to be fun, then some yuppy type people joined and made it into... not fun.

XpHoBiaX

I forgot to look that stuff up. They had a shorter name though. @_@ Yuppies ruin everything.

2010 cosplay...?

Lucifargundam

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on July 02, 2009, 01:27:22 AM

We're also proud of the facts that we earn a big chunk of money, despite hosting a festival during the hottest part of the year.  Other than that, we rarely smell garlic in the air.

There's also a artichoke festival in Castroville; I love fried artichoke hearts :)

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

michiko nakano

My town... has no downtown.  That's how pathetic is.  And last year's "renovations" consisted of them demolishing the movie theatres and bowling alley with no intention of putting them back.

fail.

Runewitt

Hayward Zuchini Festival.

there was very little actual zuchini.

rude32

Quote from: michiko nakano on August 18, 2009, 11:56:17 AM
My town... has no downtown.  That's how pathetic is.  And last year's "renovations" consisted of them demolishing the movie theatres and bowling alley with no intention of putting them back.

fail.
What the hell town do you live in?
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

michiko nakano

Atascadero.

Which means "sh!t hole" in Spanish.

DentyneIce408

Quote from: michiko nakano on August 21, 2009, 11:42:22 PM
Atascadero.

Which means "sh!t hole" in Spanish.

I can see why you don't like it. Your really far away.
- Shall I leave my mark whether it's good or bad?
- As long as people remember me famous or infamous,
- I  will remain and roam in this world Alive or Dead.

BunofGovt

Heaven help us if you should find videos of our "How Berkeley Can You Be" parade on 'tube or anywhere.  The year my sister marched the parade included Star Wars cosplayers and buck-naked peeps.    :o
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

BrightHeart76

Right now we're overrun with "burners"  The Burning Man crowd is an interesting group of people.  lol.