What do you deem acceptable?

Started by xichisex, May 24, 2011, 12:07:05 PM

xichisex

What do you think about people who cosplay from anything such as a tv show/anime/manga/video game/movie who have NEVER even SEEN the said source of inspiration they are cosplaying from?

Is being in a group cosplay considered an exception to this rule because a lot of people drag their friends to do it? Or is it only bad when you cosplay alone?

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

redroses3164

I think it's weird that someone would. I wouldn't necessarily talk down to them or think badly of them but I usually think of cosplaying as a character you really like from whatever medium he/she/it is from.

Being in a group is more "forgiving" I guess but I'll still find it weird anyway.

That being said, I think that the person who never seen the source material should at least read about whatever they are cosplaying from to know the general feel of the character and look at various screenshots or whatever images are available so that when they get their picture taken, they can pose not too OOC.

xichisex

Quote from: redroses3164 on May 24, 2011, 12:17:07 PM
I think it's weird that someone would. I wouldn't necessarily talk down to them or think badly of them but I usually think of cosplaying as a character you really like from whatever medium he/she/it is from.

Being in a group is more "forgiving" I guess but I'll still find it weird anyway.

That being said, I think that the person who never seen the source material should at least read about whatever they are cosplaying from to know the general feel of the character and look at various screenshots or whatever images are available so that when they get their picture taken, they can pose not too OOC.
Like the people who constantly do peace signs just because its something that a lot of Japanese people do in pictures, but not the character.

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

renalcul

I find it rather annoying when people blindly cosplay a character that they havent watched the relevant episodes or played the game that they are in. Although i think the more annoying thing is when people cosplay as a character that they only saw a part of the media in which they are in. ( like people cosplaying as someone from advent children without playing any of the ff7 games) I dunno, its just a peeve of mine.

As far as people being dragged into group cosplays, I think that they should at least be shown some of the more relevant parts of the character by the person dragging them into things.