Naruto 4 for GameCube?

Started by MeliCat, January 08, 2006, 12:02:07 PM

MeliCat

Okay, not exactly anime chat, but I just have a quick question. I'm looking to buy Naruto 3 or 4 for GameCube, I heard e-bay is the best place. I've found quite a few for sale but...I also hear I need a special disk to get the game to work on my system... where might I purchase one?! What is it called? Any advice is greatly appreciated! : D Thanks!

-MeliCat

KindaRandomKris

If you've got a North America GC, you'll need a thing called a switch disk (or something to that effect, I'm only familiar with PS2 mods) which will allow you to trick the console into playing the imported game.

I'm not really an expert on the wherefore's and howto's, but I do know it's a mod disk. I'm pretty sure you can find one anywhere they sell gaming stuff. I think you could even find it under 'mod-chip' (which is what I use on my PS2).

The one I've seen for Gamecube is the "Free Loader", which is a disk you boot up the system with, and then swap out for the imported game. (http://www.estarland.com/GameCube.cat..product.14438.html) I'm sure there's other brands, though.

Yeeah. Might not be totally accurate, but I hope that helps
Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

Spiritsnare

I do have both the FreeLoader and NGNT3. Another person's borrowing it right now, but I can tell you that it works. ;)

At least get the updated version of the Freeloader if you have a second-generation Gamecube (the one with one video-out port on the back, as opposed to the two on the original).
epic progressive

vox

MeliCat

Hmm... free loader? Thanks! : 3 Does it work on all import games?

G.I.R

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "MeliCat"Hmm... free loader? Thanks! : 3 Does it work on all import games?

As far as I know, yes.
epic progressive

vox

Tsubasa

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"
Quote from: "MeliCat"Hmm... free loader? Thanks! : 3 Does it work on all import games?

As far as I know, yes.
It will technically play every import game, but there are rare incompatibility issues.  The only one I can readily recall off the top of my head is F-Zero GX.  Because of the strange overlay system they use, I hear menus and text won't display correctly if at all.  But these are rare occurances.

Quote from: "G.I.R"...or, if you're really adventurous...

http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/ngcmod.htm
This is truly the best way to play imports on the GC.  Thankfully, it's a simple mod, so if you have friends who have basic soldering skills, try getting this done.

I hear that modded US systems sometimes cannot display the Japanese text correctly.  Can anyone vouch for or against this?  I have a modded Japanese system, so I can't verify.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Tsubasa"

As far as I know, yes.
It will technically play every import game, but there are rare incompatibility issues.  The only one I can readily recall off the top of my head is F-Zero GX.  Because of the strange overlay system they use, I hear menus and text won't display correctly if at all.  But these are rare occurances.

I heard that F-Zero GX had "Japanese" and "American" modes that activated depending on the console that was used.

Oh, and did you do that mod yourself, Tsubasa? I'd pay money for someone to do that to my GC so then I don't have to use the damn Freeloader (which doesn't even work on my version GCN) anymore.
epic progressive

vox

shortpachoo

I have a Panasonic Q Gamecube, which i decided to get instead of mod chip or freeloader, since I needed a dvd player at the time.  My friend has the freeloader but havent tried it with naruto 4 yet.

I say either go with the freeloader disk or get an already modded gamecube which has the chip built in for you.

Fanime 2011 Staff: ??
Tech Minion: 2004-05, 2007-10
Video Programming: 2004-06
Staffer since: '04

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "shortpachoo"...or get an already modded gamecube which has the chip built in for you.

Now, this is intriguing. What does the modchip provide what the bare-bones upgrade doesn't? o.o
epic progressive

vox

G.I.R

From what I understand, all Gamecubes are the same, except for the jumper settings much like the SEGA Genisis version 1, and 2,  and SEGA Saturns.  They all should have all the necessary info stored in ROM for several languages, country settings, and Video Output (NTSC/PAL).  Set the right jumpers, and your cube knows what country games it's allowed to play.  Put a switch(es) on the jumpers, and you can power down, change the switches, and your new configuration is set when the unit's powered up.

GAMES X has lots of mods, and hacks on their page, and a bb to post questions, or post info you want to share.  Definitely worth checking out.

Tsubasa

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"Oh, and did you do that mod yourself, Tsubasa? I'd pay money for someone to do that to my GC so then I don't have to use the damn Freeloader (which doesn't even work on my version GCN) anymore.
No, I did not do it myself, but from looking at what's involved, I'm sure I could do it.  The only setback I have is that I don't have the special bit required to open up Nintendo consoles.  If I get that, then I'll do that mod for you.

Quote from: "shortpachoo"...or get an already modded gamecube which has the chip built in for you.

Now, this is intriguing. What does the modchip provide what the bare-bones upgrade doesn't? o.o
There's a chip option?  The only mod I've heard of is the switch mod.

Quote from: "G.I.R"From what I understand, all Gamecubes are the same, except for the jumper settings much like the SEGA Genisis version 1, and 2,  and SEGA Saturns.  They all should have all the necessary info stored in ROM for several languages, country settings, and Video Output (NTSC/PAL).  Set the right jumpers, and your cube knows what country games it's allowed to play.  Put a switch(es) on the jumpers, and you can power down, change the switches, and your new configuration is set when the unit's powered up.
That's what I figure too, but I've heard musings, so I just wanted confirmation one way or the other.
-Tsubasa

G.I.R

Oops!  My bad.  Forgot about the Gamebit tool to open the cube with.
here's one dealer that sells them...

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=52&products_id=1440&likref=google_gc_opening&gclid=CKPOs-jhwYICFUgaGgodfhDhCg

... but look around.  you might also get a deal on eBay on it.

This is also useful for Sega cartridges, and some other consols to.

shortpachoo

Quote from: "Tsubasa"

There's a chip option?  The only mod I've heard of is the switch mod.

Oops thats what I meant not a modchip

Fanime 2011 Staff: ??
Tech Minion: 2004-05, 2007-10
Video Programming: 2004-06
Staffer since: '04

G.I.R

Important note:... (not that I've had a chance to try it, but)  Use separate memory cards of your domestic, and import games!!!  I've been told  by a reliable source, that whether you use the jumper settings, Freeloader, or have an import system that if you put a card formated for a U.S. GC into a Japan GC, it will automatically reformat the card for a Japan GC (or a Japan card into a U.S. GC will be reformatted for the U.S.).  Just be sure to change out the cards when you change country settings.

Tsubasa

Oh yeah, it slipped my mind, but yeah, it's true.  You need to format it to a particular region.  I keep separate NA & JP cards, for a second confirmation.
-Tsubasa

Spiritsnare

I can also vouch for the separate memory card issue.

Funny thing is that the only thing I keep on my JP-formatted Memory Card 1019 is a Naruto 3 save. :o
epic progressive

vox

MeliCat

Thanks for the memory card warning! XD

G.I.R

...and thanks Tsubasa, and Spiritsnare for confirming it.  When I get another GC, I want to do the mod, and try this.

Spiritsnare

Eventually after I get my PS2 modded and get some games imported, I'll save up $25 so then you could buy the GameBit for yourself...just as long as you mod my Gamecube, Tsubasa. ^_^
epic progressive

vox