2022 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering

Started by InsaneDavid, December 03, 2019, 07:56:18 PM

InsaneDavid

Greetings old school cosplayers!  The previous Old School Gathering (three years ago!) was a blast as always, thank you all for your amazing attendance, awesome cosplay, and continued representation of the fandoms that created anime conventions!  Of course I'm back to host yet again!  Continuing the tradition of the gathering that got me into cosplay, I announce the...

Fanime 2022 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering!

Come celebrate the rich history of Japanese entertainment culture!

This is a hugely open gathering for those of you / us who cosplay as characters from the previous century.  Essentially if your cosplay character appears in Anime, Manga, Video Games or Live Action that began PRIOR to 2001, then this is the gathering for you!  Although I like to have a decidedly Japanese lean to this gathering, it is not completely exclusive.

Day : Friday, May 27th, 2022 (Day 1).
Time : 6PM - 7PM.
Meeting Place (MP) : Same as Location.
Location (L) : Gatherings G7, The Slab - the raised area outside between the video rooms and Hilton.

This will be our fifth consecutive year hosting! Due to an outdoor requirement for gatherings, we will be at a new location this year!  Exit the main Convention Center entrance, then turn left and walk AROUND the building that houses the video rooms and follow the path between it and the Hilton.  We will be at the end up on the raised area (The Slab).

Gatherings G7 is the large raised concrete area in between the video rooms and the Hilton, NOT the lower area just outside the video rooms.

Cosplayers : If you would like, please post who your cosplay character is, what title it is from and what year you are representing!  As this gathering is a total wildcard mix of different characters, series, studios, and genres - spanning time rather than properties - a definitive list is otherwise not provided.  Part of the fun of the OSCG is seeing just who shows up.

Legal Statement : Fanime will be taking group pictures during the Gathering/Event this year. If you do not want to be included in those pictures please step aside for those photos. By remaining with the group when the pictures are being taken you give your consent to be photographed.

Photography Order : If there is any specific setup or shot you would like, just let me know!  This gathering is to celebrate all of us as cosplayers who keep the vintage fire alive.

Group shot.
By era - 1960's (or earlier).
By era - 1970's.
By era - 1980's.
By era - 1990's (to 2000).
Characters who use swords / knives / blades / etc.
Characters known to get physical / fighters / brawlers.
Military / rank and file / soldiers.
Characters with psychic powers / spiritual powers / espers / magic / etc.
Pilots / drivers / craft operators / mech jockeys.
Teachers / students / faculty / school attendants / etc.
Characters who use firearms / laser guns / projectile weapons / etc.
Magical girls.
Animals / pets.
Spacefaring characters / those who live off-world.
Robots / androids / synthetic people / mecha.
Characters who are mysterious / shadowy.
Public servants / government organizations / secret organizations.
Characters with secret identities.
Characters in uniform of any type.
Battle teams.
Video game characters.
Characters who are on the run / fugitives / scoundrels / bounty hunters.
Monsters / demons / youma / zombies / etc.
Characters who are technically minded / deductive / intelligent / geniuses.
Great warriors / legendary masters.
Civilians.
Aliens.
Heroes.
Villains.
Heroes vs Villains.
Cosplayers representing the manga version of their character.
Age vs Youth / old characters vs young characters.
Live Action only characters.
Pairings / couples.
Group shot for late attendees (regular / humorous).

Series groups (dependent on attendance / cosplayer request).
By studio / production team (dependent on attendance / cosplayer request).
Solo shots (cosplayer request).
Additional requests (cosplayer request).

I am always up for future ideas to add to the list!  A good portion of the photo order is built upon suggestions from previous years.  I may be trimming the list a bit this year to get the order cycled faster.

Facebook Event Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/974633966226466/

This is an excellent gathering to psyche you up for the convention weekend.  If you're an old school cosplayer, stop by and join us!  Feel free to pop in for a moment to say hi, see some incredible cosplay, pose for some pictures, and continue to prove that just because it's old doesn't mean it isn't awesome!

Thank you so very much.  Let's have another great turnout and continue this wonderful Fanime tradition!

I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

InsaneDavid

Here is a map that will show you how to get to the Gatherings G7, The Slab location, starting at either the main entrance to the convention center or the area where we were in 2018 and 2019 (Gatherings G3).  Note that the maps of the street level don't show the large second floor ballroom expansion where Artist's Alley is generally located, as it's facilities operations space beneath, but I've filled it in so the map is more accurate to the actual layout.

Do not stop at Gatherings G8 (the Hilton Tree Walkway), keep going all the way to the end and up the little set of stairs to reach G7.

REMEMBER - There is NO ACCESS to G7 - The Slab from inside the convention center concourse!  If you attempt to go through the fire doors you will set the alarm off.  You have to approach G7 from the sidewalk along side San Carlos Street, either from the front of the convention center or by walking around the Hilton.

InsaneDavid

2022 PHOTO GALLERIES!!!
2022 PHOTO GALLERIES!!!
2022 PHOTO GALLERIES!!!

Unofficial gallery, taken by my co-host: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1947430818779384

Angelx624

I should be there as Satsuki from My Neighbor Totoro! :)
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

Eri Kagami

So, I'm working on two UC Gundam cosplays in the works to compliment my partner's Bright cosplay. Looking forward to this!

InsaneDavid

Housing over the horizon!  This is the first FanimeCon since I've started cosplaying where we don't have any new cosplay lined up.  There's stuff we're working on but don't plan on having it ready to go for Fanime 2020.  Present plan for the gathering is to bring back our Patlabor captains cosplay, since we didn't wear them at all in 2019 - surprisingly!

Quote from: Angelx624 on January 02, 2020, 01:41:55 AM
I should be there as Satsuki from My Neighbor Totoro! :)

Woohoo! Still a long way off but I hope your cosplay and scheduling plans come together smoothly.  Thank you for attending every year!

Quote from: Eri Kagami on January 05, 2020, 07:15:33 PM
So, I'm working on two UC Gundam cosplays in the works to compliment my partner's Bright cosplay. Looking forward to this!

Awesome! I love seeing Gundam characters at the gathering!!

Angelx624

Yup, though I've had the cosplay done since last August. And you're welcome! ^^ Hopefully this time I won't be late.
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

Cyanide_Exploder

Depending on what I can put together, I could show up this year as Ichiro Ogami from Sakura Wars. If not, then I'll return as Shinji Ikari from NGE.

The Sea-Faring Otaku

Our Outlaw Star crew will be back, yet again! The best gathering at Fanime!
On and Off Attendee since 2005!

R.I.P. Fanime 2020 😭

See y'all in 2021!

Angelx624

There is a possibility I might be bringing Sheeta instead, but the blue dress instead of the other outfit.

But will know for sure closer to the con. ^^ (If I bring Sheeta, I'll likely bring Satsuki to AX)
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

sylveoncos

Tokyo mew mew began putting out copies of its manga in 2001, would that still be included in this gathering? It was being written in 2000. I'm thinking not because it didnt end until 2003, but i thought i would check just in case :)

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Cyanide_Exploder on January 17, 2020, 07:22:26 PM
Depending on what I can put together, I could show up this year as Ichiro Ogami from Sakura Wars. If not, then I'll return as Shinji Ikari from NGE.

Either would be great!  Crazy times we live in, as the first Sakura Wars game ~just~ had a fan translation released.

Quote from: The Sea-Faring Otaku on January 28, 2020, 09:43:29 PM
Our Outlaw Star crew will be back, yet again! The best gathering at Fanime!

Your group is awesome, thank you for attending over the years!!

Quote from: Angelx624 on February 09, 2020, 07:35:25 PM
There is a possibility I might be bringing Sheeta instead, but the blue dress instead of the other outfit.

But will know for sure closer to the con. ^^ (If I bring Sheeta, I'll likely bring Satsuki to AX)

All good either way.  Fanime seemed so far away but only three months to go now!

Quote from: sylveoncos on February 16, 2020, 05:44:39 PM
Tokyo mew mew began putting out copies of its manga in 2001, would that still be included in this gathering? It was being written in 2000. I'm thinking not because it didnt end until 2003, but i thought i would check just in case :)

The golden rule for the gathering is the series / game / property had to be RELEASED before 2001.  That said, although collected volumes of Tokyo Mew Mew weren't published until 2001, per my research it was first published serialized in Nakayoshi in late 2000... so it ~just~ makes the cut, so you're good to go!

Note: while I REALLY try to ensure we're all pre-2001, I don't narc and research every series / character. However I do also host a vintage anime panel (Vintage Anime Name That Year - returning for two hours on Saturday morning for Fanime 2020), so I always look into series that people bring up for possible use there.  :)

sylveoncos

Angelx624

I do make sure to research that the series/movie/etc my cosplay is from was released before 2001 if it's not obvious or if I don't know for sure beforehand. :3
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

Quote from: sylveoncos on February 27, 2020, 11:05:28 AM
Thank you so much for the reply! :)

You're welcome!

Quote from: Angelx624 on February 27, 2020, 04:14:52 PM
I do make sure to research that the series/movie/etc my cosplay is from was released before 2001 if it's not obvious or if I don't know for sure beforehand. :3

Thank you!  I have learned about so many more anime and manga series through the past five years hosting this gathering - through discussions at con, here, and on the Facebook event page - than I ever would have otherwise.

Additionally there are so many who have no idea a series they love or cosplay from is from before 2001 - Wangan Midnight is a series that comes to mind as an example.  Sure the anime is from 2007 and video games based upon it continue to be released to this day but the manga began in 1990 - predating even Initial D! (another series that gets overlooked as old school)

-----

As for gathering updates, the gathering has been officially submitted for the usual day / time (Friday, 6PM).  Now that the form is active, I'll be more active both here and on the Facebook event page.  (yeah, that means it'll be time for the traditional anime openings soon.......)

InsaneDavid

Good morning old schoolers!

Among concerns in relation to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Silicon Valley, I want to state that as long as FanimeCon is held as scheduled, both the Old School Gathering and our Vintage Anime - Name That Year panel WILL BE HOSTED as scheduled.  We are local to FanimeCon, are living our lives as normal, and absolutely plan on attending this May.

Best practices of washing hands before and after eating, using the restroom, or utilizing public transit are no different with or without a viral outbreak. As are confining coughing and sneezing, and avoiding others when sick.  Although these are general hygiene precautions, it can't hurt to be reminded of them now and again.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me either here or via the Facebook Event Page.  Thank you.

InsaneDavid

Good afternoon old schoolers!

A lot going on right now in the world and here in Santa Clara County where FanimeCon is hosted.  Santa Clara County Public Health Department announced today an additional mandatory countywide moratorium on gatherings of more than 100 persons, and a conditional countywide moratorium on gatherings of between 35-100 persons, for at least three weeks from 3/14/2020.

It should be said, while I am NOT convention staff in any way, the likelihood of FanimeCon 2020 being rescheduled or canceled is a real possibility as we have seen with other conventions and events around the world.  This is reality right now, and I implore everyone to resist becoming cynical or angry in response.  We're too awesome of a fandom for that.

I want to emphasize that if FanimeCon 2020 is is postponed, whenever that may be - EVEN IF IT DOESN'T HAPPEN UNTIL 2021, we will host this gathering on the evening of Day 1 as tradition.  Additionally as long as Fanime Panels are held whenever the convention may occur, we will absolutely host our Vintage Anime - Name That Year panel as intended.  We are continuing to prepare for both this gathering and our panel as if it were business as usual.  We are totally committed to hosting these events at FanimeCon.  Best case, worst case, it will still go on once we come out of this crisis.

That's what old school otaku do, we persevere.

To that end, at minimum, every Friday I'm going to share an old school anime opening or ending right up until Fanime, as usual.  If by worst case scenario FanimeCon doesn't happen for a year - then you have a year of these posts to look forward to, and we'll keep that old school fire burning.  If you have any questions or concerns, just let me know.

So today I kick things off with a smooth, jazzy, relaxing ending that is one of my favorites - from my favorite hard sci-fi anime series -

Celebrating An Era - 1980's!  Armored Trooper VOTOMS (1983) [ENDING]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcJoViCuefc

Angelx624

Hoping for the best and that Fanime doesn't get cancelled. But if it does, there's nothing we can really do.

Just gonna plan ahead regardless. :)
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Angelx624 on March 17, 2020, 06:28:34 PM
Hoping for the best and that Fanime doesn't get cancelled. But if it does, there's nothing we can really do.

Just gonna plan ahead regardless. :)

Absolutely.  A postponement (even until 2021) doesn't mean the end of Fanime, fandoms, cosplay, or conventions in general.  Sure it isn't ideal but that's just how it is.

InsaneDavid

Good morning old schoolers!

As I'm sure you are all aware, the global COVID-19 situation is continuing to unfold and affect events and everyday life everywhere you look.  Here in Santa Clara County (where FanimeCon is hosted), we have been under shelter-in-place ordinance for the past week, ahead of the statewide California ordinance issued yesterday.  We're doing fine, are thankfully able to work from home, are good on provisions and are adjusting well to the changes for the short future ahead.

I'm sure at this point FanimeCon 2020 will either be postponed or canceled for 2020.  What I continue to implore attendees NOT to do is get cynical or angry toward FanimeCon or facilities staff before a specific announcement is made.  A FanimeCon cancellation and refund is completely new territory for this event (as it is with many others), and as such its implementation will take time.

As stated last week, we are committed to hosting this gathering whenever the next FanimeCon is held (even if it isn't until 2021), on the evening of the first day, as tradition.  Additionally I am committed to sharing an old school anime opening or ending every Friday until that glorious day comes.

With that, here is this week's anime opening, from the Gundam series that everyone seems to like.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Mobile Suit Gundam The 08th MS Team (1996)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKlR_J2H6YA