Fanime 2011 Fanfiction Writers Workshop - Interest/discussion?

Started by Firefury Amahira, March 02, 2011, 10:56:10 PM

Firefury Amahira

So my sister One Amahira and I are finally looking to take our fanfic workshop panel out of the SoCal area. Assuming our panel gets approved, Fanime will be both our largest convention to date as well as furthest from home. (Our prior conventions have been MikomiCon for several years, and PMX in 2010. We're on for Anime Conji in San Diego this month, and pending approval for Ani-Jam in Fresno in August.)

The two of us got started doing a fanfic workshop at MikomiCon after being repeatedly disappointed by fanfiction panels at Anime Expo: the panels we attended generally would take it completely for granted that everyone in attendance would already know all the basics, and offered very little useful advice for fanauthors looking to improve on their work.

We've already got a general outline for our panel's content: things like tips to avoid the "Mary Sue" cliché, ways to overcome writers' block, advice for publishing work online, and a lot of general creative writing advice ranging from characterization of good guys, creating convincing antagonists, and world-building. The legal issues with fanfiction, some of the various jargon associated with it, and other such topics also get some discussion. At prior conventions we've had it in the program and stuff that people are welcome and encouraged to bring samples of their own work to discuss, though thus far only a couple have been brave enough (or remembered to bring their stuff!) We don't bite, promise!  :D

Depending on the panel slot(s?) we might get, the panel may be run as a 2-hour single panel covering the entire range of topics, or possibly a 2-hour beginner/intermediate panel and a 1-hour advanced panel. Or heck, a series of 1 hour panels for beginner/intermediate/advanced respectively.

What I'm curious about is how many people would be interested in attending? What sort of fanfiction related stuff would you like to see addressed at the panel?
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

Firefury Amahira

In panel-related news, our first foray outside the greater Los Angeles area to Anime Conji in San Diego was a success. Had a decent crowd despite our panel being in the very first timeslot Friday, and my sister and I survived the drive to and from LA despite virtually every kind of road delay possible: bad weather, roadwork, slow traffic, multi-car accidents... We probably should have just gotten a hotel room for a night; making the LA-SD drive twice in one day was just a little bit exhausting!

Fingers crossed that we make the list for Fanime!
--

FilkAeris

Personally, I would be extremely interested.  I've been writing fanfiction for over ten years now, and I'm always pleased to have a chance to mingle with other authors.

Firefury Amahira

Well, unless the Powers That Be change things up, it looks like we're on for Fanime for 12am-2am Sunday morning. (Not the timeslot I would have chosen, but y'gotta take what you can get, I suppose! Even if, amusingly enough, the bulk of my writing tends to be done in the wee hours of the morning!) On the bright side, a late night panel probably means we don't have to be quite as careful about stuff not suited to the under-18 crowd. Since our application specifically said it's an all ages panel this year though, we're still not going to add much about adult fanfic.

My sister and I are probably going to run around Saturday with a bunch of anime mad-libs for people to goof off on to help promote the panel. Those should be random and various flavors of hilarious. Watch for the guy with the banner sticking up off his backpack. ;)
--

Kava

Quote from: Firefury Amahira on April 10, 2011, 07:07:21 PM
Well, unless the Powers That Be change things up, it looks like we're on for Fanime for 12am-2am Sunday morning. (Not the timeslot I would have chosen, but y'gotta take what you can get, I suppose! Even if, amusingly enough, the bulk of my writing tends to be done in the wee hours of the morning!) On the bright side, a late night panel probably means we don't have to be quite as careful about stuff not suited to the under-18 crowd. Since our application specifically said it's an all ages panel this year though, we're still not going to add much about adult fanfic.

My sister and I are probably going to run around Saturday with a bunch of anime mad-libs for people to goof off on to help promote the panel. Those should be random and various flavors of hilarious. Watch for the guy with the banner sticking up off his backpack. ;)

If you'd like to switch your panel to an 18+ panel, I have no objections. You just need to send an e-mail to the panels e-mail to request it.

-Rena
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

Firefury Amahira

Oh cool- I'll pass that along to my sister. Don't know if we'll actually want to add much in the way of 18+ stuff; adult fanfic is not my area of expertise, so it's up to my sis on that score. :D
--