FanimeCon 2021 Forums

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
 on: March 19, 2021, 06:12:08 PM 
Started by InsaneDavid - Last post by InsaneDavid
Good evening old schoolers!

This week I have an OP that I am very excited to share.  Grimm Masterpiece Theater is a collection of classic fairy tales adapted from the collected works of the Brothers Grimm.  The stories generally follow the folk tales as they are known, with a few alterations and twists as the Grimm stories have been subject to from the beginning.

While this may seem like an obscure series to be excited about, it's also one that a lot of us have probably had exposure to.  Grimm Masterpiece Theater and its companion series (New Grimm Masterpiece Theater) were adapted for American audiences under the title "Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics" and rather famously aired on Nickelodeon for many, many, many years throughout the 1990's.  The English adaptation has so many classic anime English voice actors throughout, it really is kind of a wonderful snapshot of quality syndication dubbing of the time.  This includes a few appearances of my personal favorite voice actor, Mike Reynolds.

I'm presenting this one today as Discotek Media is going to release the first series on SD Blu-ray at the end of May!  In addition to finally having the original Japanese version with English subtitles, it will also have the entire dub version of each episode that had an English release.  While I'll have to wait until the second volume is released for Bearskin, my favorite Grimm story, this is one of those "it'll never be released" series that we're going to be getting in just a few months.  I am overly excited about this one.

Celebrating An Era - 1980's!  Grimm Masterpiece Theater (1987)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVaXJMcMyP0

on: March 19, 2021, 05:58:38 PM 
I picked up the manga not long ago and was quite surprised by some of the content lol.

Yeah, it is kind of a trip compared to the anime series.  In retrospect while it seems like they got away with a lot in the anime, compared to the manga it's super tame.  The action and comedy used to make up the difference basically reset the template for action shojo anime from then on, so I suppose it all worked out in the end.

on: March 18, 2021, 05:06:50 PM 
Started by TheOrgg - Last post by Nina Star 9
I know this topic is ancient, but I have all my Fanimecon program guides going back to 2004 at least  probably until 2003. I've been meaning to scan and archive them somewhere, but I can scan the 2005 one if you haven't been able to find a source yet.

on: March 17, 2021, 02:42:12 PM 
Started by InsaneDavid - Last post by Amanojaku
Good evening old schoolers,

Going with a Go Nagai classic today, perhaps not his most influential work but that's only because so much of his work was incredibly influential.  The original Cutey Honey (and yes, I'll always spell Cutey that way) anime series is a lot of fun and far more approachable for the masses as it's toned down quite a bit from the original manga - which is also available in English!  There are a bunch of sequels and re-imaginings of the lovely warrior but I still totally recommend the original anime - even if New Cutey Honey is my personal favorite.

Celebrating An Era - 1970's!  Cutey Honey (1973)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCX77Je16fk

I picked up the manga not long ago and was quite surprised by some of the content lol.

on: March 16, 2021, 04:49:19 AM 
Started by anarchycupcake - Last post by Glitch
I'm just wondering what exactly is the format they want us to follow gonna be. Some cons will simply just host from the Twitch stream of the panelist while others want a pre-recorded video sent in advanced.

As well as what we are allowed to do and how to do it.

on: March 15, 2021, 06:28:03 PM 
Started by anarchycupcake - Last post by anarchycupcake
Fort those who may have also been wondering, the FanimeCon Panels Twitter posted this shortly after I made this post:

"Hello everyone!  We are hard at work getting the Panels website and submission form up and running for virtual FanimeCon.  It should go live within the next few days. Stay tuned and thank you for your patience so far."

So it looks like we'll get an announcement soon!

on: March 13, 2021, 08:34:54 AM 
Started by anarchycupcake - Last post by HunterZero
I believe FanimeCon is still working on figuring out the details for this year. I have zero doubt that they'll announce once they're ready.

on: March 12, 2021, 06:55:05 PM 
Started by ZombieK - Last post by Angelx624
Yeahhh other conventions at least stated if they were just waiting to see how things played out. That's better than no word at all.

on: March 12, 2021, 06:03:28 PM 
Good evening old schoolers,

Going with a Go Nagai classic today, perhaps not his most influential work but that's only because so much of his work was incredibly influential.  The original Cutey Honey (and yes, I'll always spell Cutey that way) anime series is a lot of fun and far more approachable for the masses as it's toned down quite a bit from the original manga - which is also available in English!  There are a bunch of sequels and re-imaginings of the lovely warrior but I still totally recommend the original anime - even if New Cutey Honey is my personal favorite.

Celebrating An Era - 1970's!  Cutey Honey (1973)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCX77Je16fk

on: March 12, 2021, 11:51:41 AM 
Started by anarchycupcake - Last post by anarchycupcake
I'm interested in possibly hosting a virtual panel for Fanime 2021. Does anyone know if/when information about hosting will be released? Has anyone reached out or been contacted about hosting their previously approved panels this year?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 31 queries.