PSA: Don't Forget about the Deposit!

Started by FanFicGuru, April 28, 2015, 07:26:56 PM

FanFicGuru

Just a heads up for impending con-goers: don't forget that most of the hotels will charge you a $50/night deposit upon check in ($100/night at The Fairmont). If you are staying for 4 nights, you will see (the charge for your room) + (deposit amount x nights you are staying) as a temporary hold, and then after 2-3 business days the deposit will fall off and  you'll just be charged for the room + whatever additional charges you incurred.

If you are using a credit card with a healthy limit this shouldn't impact you too much, but if you are putting it on a debit card this could definitely tie up funds that should be set aside for the con so I just wanted to remind people to keep an eye out for that.

Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

FanFicGuru

Edited to reflect the fairmont's deposit, which is $100/night
Swap meet staff - 2014

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: FanFicGuru on April 28, 2015, 07:26:56 PM
Just a heads up for impending con-goers: don't forget that most of the hotels will charge you a $50/night deposit upon check in ($100/night at The Fairmont). If you are staying for 4 nights, you will see (the charge for your room) + (deposit amount x nights you are staying) as a temporary hold, and then after 2-3 business days the deposit will fall off and  you'll just be charged for the room + whatever additional charges you incurred.

If you are using a credit card with a healthy limit this shouldn't impact you too much, but if you are putting it on a debit card this could definitely tie up funds that should be set aside for the con so I just wanted to remind people to keep an eye out for that.

Thank you for posting this =).  Fact is those fees can really catch people off-guard if they don't know, especially if they're using a debit card.  Hopefully people not aware already will see this and get their banking situation in order to be prepared come Fanime.

Olivine

Does anyone happen to know if you are able to use two cards? I was hoping to put the deposit on a credit card and the actual payment on debit.
Dead by Daylight gathering organizer

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: Olivine on May 02, 2015, 01:40:31 PM
Does anyone happen to know if you are able to use two cards? I was hoping to put the deposit on a credit card and the actual payment on debit.

Hmmm...you know, I've never heard of doing it that way before.  Unless anyone else has experience doing that and can tell you, I'd say best call the hotel and ask.

FanFicGuru

At the fairmont and the marriott I've been able to do this in the past. Just make sure you make it clear that you want to put your deposit on a specific card beforehand.

Policy may have changed as well so I would echo Spiritofkairi's suggestion of contacting the hotel to double check.
Swap meet staff - 2014

Glitch

Only $50? I guess fanime was saying up to $100 in order to include all hotels(that being the Fairmont).
I guess this makes it easier for me. A relief.

OtakuAngel87

Quote from: FanFicGuru on May 02, 2015, 02:31:55 PM

At the fairmont and the marriott I've been able to do this in the past. Just make sure you make it clear that you want to put your deposit on a specific card beforehand.

Policy may have changed as well so I would echo Spiritofkairi's suggestion of contacting the hotel to double check.

to my knowledge the card you put on there for deposit is just incase you have any additional charges, they don't actually charge anything on there, they hold the amount for accidents and confirm a hotel booking last year i had marriott and i was able to use a different card than the one i had on the account for deposit.
Fanime 2017 Cosplay Lineup(tentative):
Himouto Umaru
Mikuzukin
Hatsune Miku (original)
Sailor Moon

SkaiRa1n

I stayed at the Hyatt for 3 days and they charged me $50. I checked my bank account right away and they deducted $50.00, but I got it back a few days later.  I paid my hotel in cash, and used a debit card for my deposit.