NEWBIE HERE!!! HELP ME ... please...:3

Started by Thuy, July 26, 2012, 05:49:07 PM

Thuy

Hello my name is Thuy. :D I have some questions that i would like to be answers. Since this is my time going to an anime con, i have no ideas what to do ??? HELP ME!!! :'(
1. How do I register and how much?
2.is it better if i go with a group?
3. what hotels do you recommend to stay in that's not over price?
4. Do i need to cosplay?
5. I am 16 do i need to have adult with me to enter?
6. what should i do or not do while i'm there?
7. is this worth it?
Sorry for so many questions. :-[ Thank you for helping me. :D

kookiekween99

1. Pre-Registration (online registration) for 2013 has not opened yet. It usually tends to open anywhere between October and January. Just watch for an announcement on the site, on Facebook, or on Twitter. :) There's no price announced yet at this point, but last year it opened up at $50 and got progressively more expensive until reaching $65 for at-con registration.

2a. Registering in a group does not give you any monetary discounts, but if you register in a group, only the group leader (the first of the group to register) has to stand in the registration line.
2b. If you meant "Is it better if I attend with a group of people or go by myself?", then I would recommend bringing people with you. Fanime is a billion times more fun with friends than it is to go alone.

3. Depends on your definition of "over-priced." Fanime does negotiate discounted rates with the surrounding hotels, but hotel reservations usually don't open up until January or February. I've only ever stayed in the Hilton, which was discounted at $115/night. I personally like the Hilton because it's physically connected to the Convention Center. But that's just my opinion. :P

4. Cosplay is definitely NOT required. It's 100% optional. :)

5. You will need either a government issued ID (not a school ID) or a completed Parent Consent and Waiver Form (process described here, although you'll have to wait until they release the 2013 form) to pick up your badge at registration, but you will not need to have a parent physically present. You will, however, need someone over 18 to check into a hotel.

6. There's a lot of stuff you can do at Fanime. Shopping, videos, panels, shopping, cosplay (both wearing and seeing), events, shopping, meeting people, midnight dance... oh yeah, and I personally like to go shopping. ;) But as for some do/don't tips....

DO: Have fun, hang out, have a good time.
DON'T: Set the convention center on fire.
DO: Take showers daily. No, axe body spray does not count as a shower.
DON'T: Randomly hug people you don't know.
DO: Remember to eat and sleep.
DON'T: Ignore what I said above and pass out on the convention floor.
DO: Make new friends!
DON'T: Take candy from strangers.

You get the idea. :)

7. If I didn't think it was worth it, I wouldn't have gone for the past three years. :D Fanime really is the highlight of my year. It's like Christmas, but with less family members you don't care about and more awesome people sharing the same interests as you.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

echoshadow

That post sums it up nicely.
But I'll add a few other points. Fanime is a 4 day con. If its your first time 4 days would be too much. You can always do 2 or 3 days either Saturday, Sunday or Friday to Sunday.

I would highy recomend buying online, the wait time for on site reg takes around 1-2 hours or more depending how late you show up.

Bring a bit of spending money, when you see the dealers hall/artiest ally you'll be highly tempted to buy.There is nothing that brakes my heart more than a fan with sad puppy dog eyes that does not have enough money to buy a plushly.

Another note, food. Either bring food money or pack a lunch.  Depending on your budget it all up to you. Cheap fast food does get expensive quick, and your packed lunch you planed ran out sooner that you expected.

Also your going to be walking a lot so bring good shoes. Also keep hydrated, drink water through out the day.

That's all I can think of. Hope to see you next year.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

canine_fang

those sound like good dos and donts. however i do have a few questions myself

which company or gameplace runs the tournaments? i used to play professional video games at one point in my life. so i played alot of mlg and hype rules.

what kind of arcade cabs are there? i.e para para paradise, initial d, max tune, ddr

what kind of food is located within at least a 3 block radius?

is there a jack in the crack aka jack in the box?

how many gallons of water is needed?

are the night dances any good?

has the sea banana ever attended aka seananners

and what are the rules and regulations on big giant weapons?
ppl know me as dk369 but i retired that name once i quit initial d

palladion_

I would also like to know about the food places haha last year all I ate was Subway XD
Fanime 2016 lineup:
Fuuka-Persona 3
Max-Life is Strange
Hoenn Pokemon breeder

eralston

Quote from: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy on July 28, 2012, 02:18:51 PM
I would also like to know about the food places haha last year all I ate was Subway XD

It depends on both your ability to travel and your budget for food. The places that immediately came to mind that I have eaten at during con that are within walking distance are:

• Pho 69: 321 South 1st Street  San Jose, CA 95113
  • Amichi's: 225 West Santa Clara Street  San Jose, CA 95113
  • Johnny Rockets: 150 South 1st St # 115 San Jose, CA 95113
Evan Ralston

Assistant Director of Guest Relations

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: canine_fang on July 27, 2012, 09:59:09 PM

There are fountains throughout the centre; if you don't mind city water, all you need is a water bottle.

You want the peacebonding thread for that.

Amanojaku

which company or gameplace runs the tournaments? i used to play professional video games at one point in my life. so i played alot of mlg and hype rules.

what kind of arcade cabs are there? i.e para para paradise, initial d, max tune, ddr

They do have Parapara, ddr, beatmania, guitar freaks, the current SNK or Capcom fighter usually, and some older games.  I *think* Initial D too.

There is a Jack In the Box, Mc Donald's and  Subway for known chains.  But there are many other independant eateries, pizza places, burger places, taco places, misc. asian food, all of that is near the con and easy to walk to.

I don't drink water at all, so I couldn't tell you how many GALLONS to bring... that seems like a lot!

I only went to the dances 06-08.  I liked them better in 06.  Seems like as the years go by, somehow more riffraff show up for the dances that I never see at any other point in the con, like thats all they came for that day?  I don't like to wait in the narrow sweaty hallway to get in.  I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old.

FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku

M

(Just answering questions that haven't been answered)

- Our tournaments are run by our eGaming Department staffers, who have tons of experience running game rooms at various conventions (includes the tournaments).
- The arcades that appear in our Gaming Hall can vary from year-to-year, but they do include a variety of games across most genres (shoot 'em up, the various music simulation games, fighting games, etc.). In the same area, also contains numerous consoles with tons of games for you to play.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Firefury Amahira

Quote from: Thuy on July 26, 2012, 05:49:07 PM
A bit more advice from a con-goer since 1999. ;)

-Remember a basic modicum of manners. Yes, you'll likely get very excited by stuff, but shrieking and screaming can be very irritating in the halls.

-Sorta an extension of the above- don't go glomping, hugging, or grabbing people (especially cosplayers!) out of the blue. Some costumes can be quite fragile and such actions will damage them and really piss the cosplayer off. Generally, if you ask politely for 'glomp' or hug pics with a cosplayer, they will be happy to oblige.

-Remember patience! Sometimes you'll be stuck wading through a crowd or a line will take forever to move- try not to take it out on the staffers. They don't enjoy making attendees suffer, but things sometimes happen that are beyond their control.

-I would definitely advise going with some friends, especially if you plan to stay in a hotel. A group of friends can help defuse the cost of the hotel room, though I would not recommend putting more than 4 people to a room- the money saved splitting the cost more than 4 ways just really isn't worth the headache of cramming that many people into a room with one bathroom. For instance, for 2012 I shared a room with my sister and my brother-in-law (we stayed at a hotel off-site though,) and with the cost split three ways, my share of the hotel cost for 4 nights came to just a hair over $100.

-When budgeting your money, sent a strict limit on money for spending in the dealer's hall. Don't dip into your food money- sure you might get that awesome CD or plushie or figure or what-have-you, but being hungry at a convention because you spent your dinner cash on toys sucks hardcore.

-Try to get two square meals in a day. Odds are at a convention you'll be getting a LOT more exercise than you normally do, and a good breakfast and a good late lunch/dinner will go a long way to making sure you're properly supplied with fuel for it. As has already been mentioned, be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day for the same reason. Bringing some snacks (I'm fond of granola bars) to tide you over between meals is also a good idea.

-Plan ahead what your eating arrangements are going to be. If your hotel room has a fridge and/or a microwave, you may be able to bring most of your at-con food supply with you, and avoid having to eat out which can cost more. If that's not practical, look up food places around the convention center and figure out roughly how much you can expect to spend on meals. I'm rather fond of the Subway nearby because it's not very expensive and depending on what you get it can be a reasonably healthy option.

-I also suggest keeping a little bottle of hand sanitizer in your purse or bag or whatnot. With so many people in the convention center, sometimes it's just easier to use that after you use the restroom than to deal with the crowds to get to a sink for washing your hands regularly.

-Bring a sort of at-con first aid kit to keep in your room. Include some sort of pain medication such as Tylenol or Ibuprofen (the latter is advised since it's also an anti-inflammatory,) something like Pepto in case all the excitement or a bad bit of food leads to stomach issues, and the usual bandaids and such. Melatonin pills are also great to help get you to wind down for sleep at night, though you need to take that about an hour before bed for best effect.

-Since you're 16 this really shouldn't be an issue, but I very strongly advise against mixing alcohol and conventions.
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

c2chaos

A few more don'ts:
Don't vandalize property that does not belong to you and don't harm other attendees. Also, don't put yourself in harm's way, be aware of the things going on around you. If you see anything wrong, let a FanimeCon staff, security, or hotel staff know. One more thing, the convention center is a very busy place both inside and out, during FanimeCon. The vehicle traffic can get heavy outside, and foot traffic is can be a bit overwhelming sometimes. Please, if you do take pictures, avoid stopping for a photo op in the middle of a street, walk way, or in front of a door. To most people it's common sense, but I know excitement can get the best of us.

The Dances often have DJs rotating every hour. Their styles and preference for genres might differ from one to the other. Personally, I find the dances enjoyable, but best when I'm not hearing songs from  Billboard's Top 100. On another note, food, drinks, and chemical glow sticks, necklaces, or bracelets are not allowed inside the dance.

I would recommend getting about 3/4 gallon throughout the day. There are water fountains nearby the restrooms all along the concourse. I recommend bringing a water bottle and filling up and taking it wherever. I often go through ten 16 oz bottles a day, each day.

In my left brain, there's nothing right & in my right brain, there's nothing left.

squitwert

You can register at the con (which is the more most expensive) or you can register online when the website goes up. I have no clue what the price is but have anywhere between $45 to $50 ready.

Yes if you go in a group you won't feel alone and the hotel will be cheaper if you all contribute to it. I have slept with from anywhere from 4 to 8 people in a room with only 2 beds. Plus you'll enjoy your experience with friends there rather than going by yourself.

The cheapest hotel that I have found is the Double Tree, and make sure you purchase the hotel through Fanime on their site so then it doesn't come out to regular price of the rooms. You get cheaper prices if its through Fanime.

4. Do i need to cosplay?

Cosplay is not mandatory, its completely up to you if you want to cosplay or not.

You don't need an adult with you to enter but in order to get your badge you will need a parent or guardian unless you get the group leader to be 18 or older.

Well what I personally like to do while I am there is go to the dance that's usually in the evening though. Through the day just go check things out. If they give out the little booklets with all the events in them again then you can look through it and see what seems appealing to you. I am not going to tell you what you shouldn't do cause you're 16 you should know what's right and what's wrong.

7. is this worth it?

Yes its worth it, compared to Anime Expo in LA its the more inexpensive version of that. At Anime Expo everything cost money to get into at Fanime nothing costs money so the shows are free, the panels are free, along with the Black and White Ball, and whatever other events you wanna attend.

If you have any more questions or comments, or even like me to show you around when the con starts just message me. Hope you have a wonderful time.

mod edit: dance terminology

Lucifargundam

go to fanime.com on Thursday at noon.
If you want. I always do it by myself
Go through Fanime housing- you'll get discount prices at the nearby hotels- but be quick to book or you'll miss out
4. Do i need to cosplay?
It doesn't matter- it's up to you. It's fun to do though.
To register/book a hotel, yes. To pick up your badge, yes. To enter rooms like the dealers hall and game room- no.
Eat, sleep and shower. Follow the rules.  Don't be a creeper. Don't forget to use common sense.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

Saki Usagishi

I was about your age when I first went too!!!

fanime.com and this year looks like it will be $50 for pre-reg. It usually will go up when it gets closer to Fanime so buy your badge as soon as you can.

I think it makes it more fun if you do it with close friends the first time because you get to learn and experience it together. Later on if you decide you want to go solo that's ok too. There will always be conflict in what to see or do so expect times where you might have to do things by yourself.

Fanime has their own booking system so you go threw them. They open there hotel reservations the same time as badge registration this year for 2013. It depends how you do it. If you have roommates that split the costs or how many days of the con are you willing to stay take into matter how much it will cost. I recommend though staying close to the con if it's your first year. You get to see all the night action.

4. Do i need to cosplay?
It's up to you ^^
It's fun to dress up, but if you don't want to then that's perfectly fine.

No. You may need a parents approval letter and your school id to pick up your badges though. Also keep in mind after 10 pm a lot of the things open at the con are 18+

Read up on the rules! It's always good to know what's allowed or not.
Do research on food locations. You always want to make sure you are not starving and dehydrated at a convention. There have been incidents where people have gotten sick by not taking care of that.
Look for updates on the website.
Be ready for anything! Things can get really crazy.
Always get sleep and shower.
Be polite to others.
Have fun!

7. is this worth it?
It usually is. Each year at Fanime is a different experience. :D