Live music @ the Fairmont

Started by Yuki Valentine, February 03, 2010, 10:20:39 PM

Yuki Valentine

Quote from: CaptainYossarian on February 01, 2010, 10:30:23 PM
Quote from: Yuki Valentine on December 15, 2009, 05:44:57 PM
I've stayed in the Marriott for the past two years I've been going there, but I'm staying in the Fairmont next year, cause it's my favorite!  XDD  (Live music until 1:00 AM and everything!)

Funny, I always thought I was the only one from the Con who went to the music at the Farimont. Man, they had a hoppin' band last year Friday Night--I hope they come back.

I know!  I loved the live music!  It was such a nice scene in there.  The whole lounge area with people dancing and the bartenders walking around in tuxedos...  I felt like I was an important person in a snazzy place!  XDD  The music went until, like...  2:00 AM TOO!  XD

Ah...  So much fun...  >.<

Did you ever go to that little cafe/bakery next to the hotel?  I went there every morning at about 6:00 AM to get myself a coffee and chill before the con starts up.  ^.^  I think it was called, "Bijin".
Please check out my 8tracks account and add me!
http://8tracks.com/yuki_valentine

My YouTube account- http://www.youtube.com/user/xYukiValentine

PLEASE PLAY AND DONATE!!!

freerice.com and freepoverty.com

CaptainYossarian

QuoteI know!  I loved the live music!  It was such a nice scene in there.  The whole lounge area with people dancing and the bartenders walking around in tuxedos...  I felt like I was an important person in a snazzy place!  XDD  The music went until, like...  2:00 AM TOO!  XD

Did you ever go to that little cafe/bakery next to the hotel?  I went there every morning at about 6:00 AM to get myself a coffee and chill before the con starts up.  ^.^  I think it was called, "Bijin".

I must confess my memory gets a little fuzzy about that late. Someone had gifted me with a cold earlier that afternoon, and when I finally realized that was what was making my throat hurt so much, at about 9, I went to get some meds and cough-drops. So I quaffed down two Nyquils on my way back to the Hotel to get some rest, only to discover the most electrifying music being played in the lobby. Originally I figured just break it down for a number or two on the side of things: well, a "number or two" turned into a couple of hours and "on the side" turned into "wild convolution in the thick of the action". It was a struggle to keep my eyes open the entire time, what being drugged and sick and all. After about eleven I just totally lost track of things--I can remember getting drunk relationship advice and getting invited to a club by this one fellow in a red shirt and a mean rendition of "Proud Mary", and then crashing in bed. ...Yeah, that was quite an adventure.   

IIRC, the band the night I went was called "Shark Sandwich". What a better way to turn it up to 11 then with a Spinal Tap reference? I think Saturday was an instrumental group, but I didn't catch more than ten minutes of that.

As for the bakery, though, I'm afraid I didn't--I really didn't do much eating at all, to be honest. I'll check it out next year, though.

EDIT: And I remember singing along to James Brown. Good times.
"Did I know Szat would betray us?" Urza asked quizzically. "I was counting on it"

Yuki Valentine

Quote from: CaptainYossarian on February 03, 2010, 11:38:39 PM
QuoteI know!  I loved the live music!  It was such a nice scene in there.  The whole lounge area with people dancing and the bartenders walking around in tuxedos...  I felt like I was an important person in a snazzy place!  XDD  The music went until, like...  2:00 AM TOO!  XD

I must confess my memory gets a little fuzzy about that late. Someone had gifted me with a cold earlier that afternoon, and when I finally realized that was what was making my throat hurt so much, at about 9, I went to get some meds and cough-drops. So I quaffed down two Nyquils on my way back to the Hotel to get some rest, only to discover the most electrifying music being played in the lobby. Originally I figured just break it down for a number or two on the side of things: well, a "number or two" turned into a couple of hours and "on the side" turned into "wild convolution in the thick of the action". It was a struggle to keep my eyes open the entire time, what being drugged and sick and all. After about eleven I just totally lost track of things--I can remember getting drunk relationship advice and getting invited to a club by this one fellow in a red shirt and a mean rendition of "Proud Mary", and then crashing in bed. ...Yeah, that was quite an adventure.   

IIRC, the band the night I went was called "Shark Sandwich". What a better way to turn it up to 11 then with a Spinal Tap reference? I think Saturday was an instrumental group, but I didn't catch more than ten minutes of that.

As for the bakery, though, I'm afraid I didn't--I really didn't do much eating at all, to be honest. I'll check it out next year, though.

EDIT: And I remember singing along to James Brown. Good times.

Ah...  Good times at Fanime.  The best four days of the year...  ^.^
Yes, you should definitely go check out that bakery.  It's really nice in there, and their food is actually pretty decently priced, which surprised me.

This year I'm gonna stay and listen to the music a little longer.  Maybe I'll even dance!  XD

You're going to be there this year, aren't you?  ^.^

CaptainYossarian

Quote from: Yuki Valentine on February 04, 2010, 02:08:05 PM
Ah...  Good times at Fanime.  The best four days of the year...  ^.^
Yes, you should definitely go check out that bakery.  It's really nice in there, and their food is actually pretty decently priced, which surprised me.

Good prices? Thats a myth. And I suppose they had the knuckle-bone of John the Baptist as well? ;D

QuoteThis year I'm gonna stay and listen to the music a little longer.  Maybe I'll even dance!  XD

You're going to be there this year, aren't you?  ^.^

As the Good Book says: the more the merrier! Or something to that effect. As for being there... well, I believe Sam Cooke said it best RE: his little number, "Twistin' the Night Away". Friday for sure. Staurday mayhaps. I'll be the man in the Panama Hat (how he got here I don't kno-ow. But you ought to see him go...). Skipping the light fandango is not an option.

EDIT: Well I guess this has it's own thread now :). That must be a not so subtle hint we were rather derailing things. I might as well take this as an opportunity to say that, anyone interested in a rockin' good time to some of the classic dance numbers do head over to the Fairmont Friday Night and come and join the hoedown. Not that I really have any right to, but everyone who enjoys the music of our forebearers is cordially invited! Thats right: if you dig that Sweet Soul Sound or if perhaps your poison is Woodstock Rock, then jump on over. Just bring your groove.
"Did I know Szat would betray us?" Urza asked quizzically. "I was counting on it"

jemz

The Fairmont Lounge normally has different musical groups coming in most nights of the week to play. Sometimes it's jazz, other times it's oldies. But the band is always a good one!

It's one of my favorite places to just lounge, have a drink, and enjoy the music. Especially pre-con & after con.

HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って

Moonblossom

I'm glad this got separated into a thread - I had no idea the Fairmont had live music, but it sounds really nice. I might have to check it out this year :)

CaptainYossarian

QuoteThe Fairmont Lounge normally has different musical groups coming in most nights of the week to play. Sometimes it's jazz, other times it's oldies. But the band is always a good one!

It's one of my favorite places to just lounge, have a drink, and enjoy the music. Especially pre-con & after con.

So it's not the same band every Friday night?  :'( Because some of what I found seemed to indicate it, but maybe it was merely my mind willing it to be so. The mind is a failiable instrument.

QuoteI'm glad this got separated into a thread - I had no idea the Fairmont had live music, but it sounds really nice. I might have to check it out this year

Do so! Do so!

BenihimeSama

I love the Fairmont hotel. Perhaps I'll go back next year.

Oh and that little cafe? OMG--Best breakfasts ever! Although, the St. Claire has a good one too at their hotel. So it really just depends on what you want to do.
Venus Benihime-Sama
Panelist Since 2008
Panels Staff Member since 2010
Proud member of Rena's Rangers! 

Owner of The Geeky Manifestos Blog
Just admit it: Otakus just do it better.

Yuki Valentine

Quote from: BenihimeSama on February 06, 2010, 09:33:15 PM
I love the Fairmont hotel. Perhaps I'll go back next year.

Oh and that little cafe? OMG--Best breakfasts ever! Although, the St. Claire has a good one too at their hotel. So it really just depends on what you want to do.

You mean the cafe called "Bijin" or something, right next to the Fairmont?  I loved that place!  c(^.^c )

lady_tomoko

Reading this thread makes me really glad I'm staying at the Fairmont this year^_^

Nina Star 9

I'll be staying at the Fairmont this year, so I'll be sure to check out the live music. :D This sounds pretty good.

CaptainYossarian

Well, I went back this year (although I missed the first 2 hours  :'() and I can say that it was just as rockin' as the last time, but I didn't see any other con attendees, which I was a little sad to see, but understandable. It was a little less of adventure this year (perhaps a good thing--it's nice not to get the con bug) but no less fun, and I know I'll be back once again, and once again invite anyone who desirer's to come too.   

otakuya

Quote from: Yuki Valentine on February 07, 2010, 09:11:36 PM
You mean the cafe called "Bijin" or something, right next to the Fairmont?  I loved that place!  c(^.^c )
It's Bijan Bakery; one of the best places to get small desserts in downtown. And they're always hiring (there's always a "Help Wanted" sign in front)