Hotels....

Started by fanimefreak, January 03, 2016, 06:25:54 PM

Mango Bunny

Nothing over here! I'm on the waitlist for anything at the Hilton or Marriott. I keep checking... I've always had better luck than this with the list! Hoping people will drop closer to the 29th.

If anyone gets something from the waitlist I would love to hear about it. I need hope.

I have a room at the Doubletree but little interest in staying there... Considering not going for the first year since 2006 if I can't get something closer.

And I do know there is a shuttle, but I don't love it. Especially late nights.

Konekogami

Quote from: citrus on April 03, 2016, 09:18:42 PM
Has anybody noticed that the housing/registration button is now blank and unclickable? I guess it just means General attendees can no longer be put on a waitlist or search for other hotels now... There is always a fiasco in hotel registration but it seems even worse... but all of you know that already. What I don't understand is if Fanime has THIS much trouble with anything every single year, Why can't they just invest money to hire professionals? More people are already attending the convention so their budget should be bigger...

I thought hotel registration was already handled by an outside group?  CMR?   Unless it's just a shared name.. *shrugs*

Which leads me to ask myself how much communication goes on between Fanime and the CMR staff..

At any rate, at this stage in the game, there's really nothing that can be done.. the only "solutions" would be..

A. Add more hotels to the convention block.  This would help a LOT, however, if hotels don't wish to house us, then there's nothing that can be done.

B. Cancel everyone's reservation and start from scratch on the hotel booking. - This is barely a solution, and would lead to a lot of pissed off people.

That said, I like the idea that the earlier you register for the convention, the earlier you get to book your hotel room.  Early bird catches the worm and all that.   But it does have some major kinks that need to be worked out ( making sure that those on staff, dealers and artist alley are taken care of being a huge one)

OtakuAngel87

b shouldn't even be considered an option that will cause more drama then anything, it won't even seem like a step in fixing the issues. Especially this late in the game.
Quote from: Konekogami on April 04, 2016, 12:51:31 PM
Quote from: citrus on April 03, 2016, 09:18:42 PM
Has anybody noticed that the housing/registration button is now blank and unclickable? I guess it just means General attendees can no longer be put on a waitlist or search for other hotels now... There is always a fiasco in hotel registration but it seems even worse... but all of you know that already. What I don't understand is if Fanime has THIS much trouble with anything every single year, Why can't they just invest money to hire professionals? More people are already attending the convention so their budget should be bigger...

I thought hotel registration was already handled by an outside group?  CMR?   Unless it's just a shared name.. *shrugs*

Which leads me to ask myself how much communication goes on between Fanime and the CMR staff..

At any rate, at this stage in the game, there's really nothing that can be done.. the only "solutions" would be..

A. Add more hotels to the convention block.  This would help a LOT, however, if hotels don't wish to house us, then there's nothing that can be done.

B. Cancel everyone's reservation and start from scratch on the hotel booking. - This is barely a solution, and would lead to a lot of pissed off people.

That said, I like the idea that the earlier you register for the convention, the earlier you get to book your hotel room.  Early bird catches the worm and all that.   But it does have some major kinks that need to be worked out ( making sure that those on staff, dealers and artist alley are taken care of being a huge one)
Fanime 2017 Cosplay Lineup(tentative):
Himouto Umaru
Mikuzukin
Hatsune Miku (original)
Sailor Moon

Nina Star 9

That's what I was afraid of. :[

Quote from: Mango Bunny on April 04, 2016, 11:42:52 AM
Nothing over here! I'm on the waitlist for anything at the Hilton or Marriott. I keep checking... I've always had better luck than this with the list! Hoping people will drop closer to the 29th.

If anyone gets something from the waitlist I would love to hear about it. I need hope.

I have a room at the Doubletree but little interest in staying there... Considering not going for the first year since 2006 if I can't get something closer.

I've never been on the waitlist before, but I've always heard that you're pretty much going to get a room if you're on it in years past. I feel like with all the added drama this year, people are hanging onto the rooms more tightly than in previous years, and that's why the waitlist isn't moving at all.

Also hoping for more people to drop later on. Though I have a single night at the Hilton booked in order to keep my spot on the waitlist, so I'll need to drop that if I can't get a full weekend stay. :| This system where you need to have something booked to be on the waitlist really isn't much good in that kind of situation.

I also don't want to take the shuttles. There are two things about this con that I love: the cosplay scene, and late nights (mostly spent in the karaoke room). I know that I won't feel safe taking the shuttles back from the karaoke room at 2 or 3AM, so I'll probably have to cut my singing short, and that's unfortunate. I also doubt that I'll be able to do as many costume changes as I usually do, or even wear some of the larger and more impressive (but difficult) costumes I have planned to wear if I have to take the shuttles, both for time reasons and because I don't know if I'll fit with 27" horns strapped to the top of my head (and I wanted this to be my last hurrah with Condesce because Homestuck is ending). I also don't know how feasible it will be to wait for shuttles and do the extra time it takes in costumes that are already painful and I get grumpy in.

I'd seriously consider not going next year if the hotel situation doesn't get cleared up this year. I've been going since 2003 and haven't missed a year.

Yes, something needs to change, but there needs to be better communication and better implementation. This con has also created a problem for itself where it's known to have a lack of hotels, so people already have room panic and rush the hotel reg, but then with the new system, people are reluctant to give up their hotels. (I'm also somewhat buying in the conspiracy theory that the con did this method to lock people into buying badges!)

I'm also still salty about the artists and other people not getting priority hotel reg. I mean, it'll be an inconvenience for me to not have a close hotel, and I won't be able to attend this con in the same way that I usually do (so my enjoyment will be diminished), but I can live with it. People like the AA folks NEED the close hotels, and couldn't get them because they got shafted. A con can't treat the people who are part of the con and bringing content to the con this poorly and expect people to continue to want to bring content to this con. It doesn't work like that. Still my biggest issue with the hotel situation.

Sorry for the giant rant. Looks like I'm turning into citrus, lol

pantsu

Quote from: Konekogami on April 04, 2016, 12:51:31 PM

Jumping in to defend CMR a bit here, as they also do the housing and registration for a ~35,000 person scientific professional meeting I attend almost every year in SF.  As far as I can tell, CMR only provides the web apps/code (aka the thing that lets you make bookings and buy your badge) for Fanime, along with some telephone support (this is also what they provide for the science meeting).  I don't know whose servers we're using when we access the Fanime version of CMR's housing app...when we register for the science meeting, it's via the sponsoring society's server, not CMR's.

Much like Fanime, when housing opens for this other meeting, it's always kind of a mad dash, as graduate students try to get the cheapest hotel rates before the hotels fill up (for comparison, I think we usually have like 25-30 hotel options for that meeting, though).  HOWEVER...I have never experienced the website crashes and issues with reservations that I have with Fanime's version of housing.  This leads me to believe that it's a Fanime-exclusive issue, and not tied to CMR.  I've had great experiences with CMR over 8 or so years of attending this other meeting.

Just my $0.02
2018 lineup:
Fri - Miss Frizzle
Sat - Oren Pierre Alfonso (KR Gaim)
Sun - General Leia (SW: TFA)
Mon - Samwell jersey (OMG Check Please!)

Mango Bunny

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 05, 2016, 01:07:34 PM
That's what I was afraid of. :[

Quote from: Mango Bunny on April 04, 2016, 11:42:52 AM

I've never been on the waitlist before, but I've always heard that you're pretty much going to get a room if you're on it in years past. I feel like with all the added drama this year, people are hanging onto the rooms more tightly than in previous years, and that's why the waitlist isn't moving at all.

Also hoping for more people to drop later on. Though I have a single night at the Hilton booked in order to keep my spot on the waitlist, so I'll need to drop that if I can't get a full weekend stay. :| This system where you need to have something booked to be on the waitlist really isn't much good in that kind of situation.

I also don't want to take the shuttles. There are two things about this con that I love: the cosplay scene, and late nights (mostly spent in the karaoke room). I know that I won't feel safe taking the shuttles back from the karaoke room at 2 or 3AM, so I'll probably have to cut my singing short, and that's unfortunate. I also doubt that I'll be able to do as many costume changes as I usually do, or even wear some of the larger and more impressive (but difficult) costumes I have planned to wear if I have to take the shuttles, both for time reasons and because I don't know if I'll fit with 27" horns strapped to the top of my head (and I wanted this to be my last hurrah with Condesce because Homestuck is ending). I also don't know how feasible it will be to wait for shuttles and do the extra time it takes in costumes that are already painful and I get grumpy in.

I'd seriously consider not going next year if the hotel situation doesn't get cleared up this year. I've been going since 2003 and haven't missed a year.

Yes, something needs to change, but there needs to be better communication and better implementation. This con has also created a problem for itself where it's known to have a lack of hotels, so people already have room panic and rush the hotel reg, but then with the new system, people are reluctant to give up their hotels. (I'm also somewhat buying in the conspiracy theory that the con did this method to lock people into buying badges!)

I'm also still salty about the artists and other people not getting priority hotel reg. I mean, it'll be an inconvenience for me to not have a close hotel, and I won't be able to attend this con in the same way that I usually do (so my enjoyment will be diminished), but I can live with it. People like the AA folks NEED the close hotels, and couldn't get them because they got shafted. A con can't treat the people who are part of the con and bringing content to the con this poorly and expect people to continue to want to bring content to this con. It doesn't work like that. Still my biggest issue with the hotel situation.

Sorry for the giant rant. Looks like I'm turning into citrus, lol

I have a lot of problems with this system. I'm getting really concerned about the waitlist at this point. Last year I didn't register until late-late. I still got a room at the Hilton for Friday-Monday. This year I am just sitting with my Doubletree room and hoping. I can say I think the second booking my friend has is going to be dropped, but he's keeping it for waitlist purposes right now.

I'm right there with you on safety! I've had really weird things happen in years past even in the main concourse late at night (being followed, having the doors blocked to the hotel so I can be catcalled by a group of older men, etc) so I don't feel safe waiting outside for a shuttle at 3am. I also remember the years where the area by the jack in the box was closed down due to police activity/fights/etc.

The biggest problem is communication, I agree with you. You aren't being a citrus!

I'm so stressed over this year. It's taking my fun vacation (which this is for me) and turning it into way too much work.

At least we have 2 guests announced now.

Kuudere

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 05, 2016, 01:07:34 PM
Looks like I'm turning into citrus, lol

Quote from: Mango Bunny on April 06, 2016, 10:28:24 AM
You aren't being a citrus!

I'm laughing at the fact that this is a thing now. Can we use it like a verb, too?

I agree with the general sentiment that, while there was a step forward in hotel booking (yeah, the website crashed once, but it was actually a short amount of time compared to previous years), there was also a step back in communication. Even though it worked out great for me because I bought my badge early on a whim this year, it wasn't fair to just drop this on everyone without a fair warning for people to plan accordingly. Not to mention artist alley getting pretty screwed over.

I think ideally, they should have announced the plan prior to badges going live, then do everything pretty much the same, except release rooms in batches so that it wasn't a first-come-first-serve free for all like it was. That way, Marriott and Hilton wouldn't have been sold out on the very first day. Though I'm sure we'd still not have enough rooms because there simply aren't enough hotels for the amount of attendees that come. At least the people who ghost the con had a harder time taking rooms away from paying attendees this year.

Two people in my group* are holding on to two other rooms at lesser-desired hotels because we're hoping something else opens in the Marriott (probably unlikely). I know they're for-sure going to just drop those rooms at the deadline if nothing opens up, so for those without any rooms at all, you'll probably be seeing a bunch become open at the end of this month. I'm betting there are many other people in that exact same situation who are planning to drop their rooms and squeeze in with a friend (or strangers) somewhere else.

*I should specify that my group is a large one that justifies the number of rooms we're holding. We're not just holding rooms to hold them.

Nina Star 9

I third the motion to make "citrus" into a verb for unnecessary and excessive complaining. (Sorry, citrus. ;])

I like the idea of releasing rooms in blocks, though I'm sure that people who are in early booking windows would get upset at that.

Of course, the idea situation of them announcing all this ahead of time didn't happen, so I hope that it's better next year. I'm also wondering about how far in advance the con knew about it -- did the implement the plan last-minute, or did they have this plan and just not tell anyone?

It's certainly better than just a mad rush for rooms, but it's causing more stress and even more room panic (I think -- hence the waistlist not moving) because everything is so uncertain, and then it feeds back into that loop of people seeing the waitlist not move -> people getting more scared -> people keeping their rooms because they won't be able to get others -> the waitlist not moving.

I mean, I've been saying for years that the lack of available rooms is a problem, but it's not like there are fewer rooms this year and a significant amount more attendees, that would cause things like Mango Bunny's situation of being able to get a room at the Hilton off the waistlist last year, but nothing moving at all this year. It's people holding onto rooms because of the new system.

And, really, is this really helping with the (dubiously existent to begin with) scalping problem? Yes you need a badge, but only one person in the room needs a badge to book a room. If there are two badged people in a room, one can book another room and still scalp it. It seems like there's even more incentive to scalp rooms this year than before, since so many people have gotten screwed over.

I've also had scary encounters on the main concourse late at night (hopefully the new badge check policy will help some of this, but it's not like all creepers are randos who wandered in without a badge), so I'd be worried about late nights having to wait for and then ride on shuttles. :|

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 07, 2016, 02:04:40 PM(hopefully the new badge check policy will help some of this, but it's not like all creepers are randos who wandered in without a badge), so I'd be worried about late nights having to wait for and then ride on shuttles. :|

New badge check policy? More details please!

EDIT: Just saw it - http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,20521.0.html - Woohoo!!
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

Mango Bunny

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 07, 2016, 02:04:40 PM

I've also had scary encounters on the main concourse late at night (hopefully the new badge check policy will help some of this, but it's not like all creepers are randos who wandered in without a badge), so I'd be worried about late nights having to wait for and then ride on shuttles. :|

Oh wow! I didn't see that! All my encounters have been with con attendees though and on the concourse floor or entrances to the hotels. I mean, most of us women have crap happen all the time. It's just scarier in a city not my own and in the early hours of the morning (when I normally stay indoors to keep safe.) I'm really worried about shuttles. I guess the alternative is just going in around midnight or before when there are a ton of people around. Too bad. Thumbs down for female anatomy limiting my life.

I would love to see confirmation that the system will remain in place for next year before this com is done... Seeing as we sell badges at the end of the con!

I'm really worried the farther we move into April. I really want one of the connecting hotels .. Or the Fairmont!

I don't have access to any data regarding the scalping issue obviously, but I can't see it helping so much. Hypothetically those attending but staying elsewhere or in another room can easily turn a profit, and I can't imagine that this happens a lot from outside the community. Now it seems demand has increased over other years. Again, referencing the seemingly quiet wait list.

Ah I miss fanime of my early years! I never was stressed like this. Boo to stressful vacation.

citrus

I guess I'm the butt of Puns and jokes? Yeah I'm fully aware of my reputation and I got nothing to be ashamed about it. Not that I don't mind anyways, since most of you still treat me with decent respect despite my complaints. Which I thank all of you who have still treat me well.

Kuudere

Quote from: citrus on April 08, 2016, 12:25:42 AM
I guess I'm the butt of Puns and jokes? Yeah I'm fully aware of my reputation and I got nothing to be ashamed about it. Not that I don't mind anyways, since most of you still treat me with decent respect despite my complaints. Which I thank all of you who have still treat me well.

I don't think any of us are being malicious with our joking. I used to be annoyed by you, but now you're like part of the forums family. I read all of your opinions, and while I don't agree with the way that they're expressed most of the time, I do understand the passion behind them is driven from a desire to see Fanime become the best it can be. I think that's what we all want, here.

On topic: I saw a few pieces of anecdotal evidence that the hotel waitlist has moved for people recently. I'm still waiting on getting Thursday, myself, and I'll report back when my waitlist request is fulfilled (or if my friends' requests to get into the Marriott are filled).

Nina Star 9

Oh no! I don't mean anything bad by it, citrus. As much as I critique your methods, I do admire your passion, and I enjoy reading your posts, even if I don't find them entirely effective. No need to be salty about it. :]

I've also seen anecdotal evidence that the waitlist has moved...let's have hope!

Has anyone here been on the shuttles? How big are they? I really want to wear a couple of costume that are somewhat...oversize, if you will, and I'm not sure how well I'll fit. One costume is very wide (wings, wide horns) and the other is very tall (tall horns). What are my chances of getting to con in these costumes?

I have to wear the very tall one, because Homestuck is ending and I need to wear it one last time to the gathering. :[

EDIT:
Have hope, people of Fanimecon! My waistlist pushed through today. :D

I got my first choice of rooms, too. Connected hotel, two doubles, all weekend.

Mango Bunny

Nothing meant, citrus!

And oh my gosh. Can I ask when you added your wait list request???

Barnes

QuoteHas anyone here been on the shuttles? How big are they?

From what I remember, the buses are bigger than a local public transit bus.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Mango Bunny on April 13, 2016, 08:09:27 PM
Nothing meant, citrus!

And oh my gosh. Can I ask when you added your wait list request???
I put in my waitlist early in the noon timeblock (so maybe 12:15 or 12:20 or so? I did have to deal with some server crashes) on 2/25. So people from that timeblock should be getting close to the top of the list for the next available rooms.

I'm really happy about it. :] Now I don't have to worry about not fitting onto the shuttles in some of my costumes! And I can stay out late!

Kuudere

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 13, 2016, 09:17:53 PM
I put in my waitlist early in the noon timeblock (so maybe 12:15 or 12:20 or so? I did have to deal with some server crashes) on 2/25. So people from that timeblock should be getting close to the top of the list for the next available rooms.

I'm really happy about it. :] Now I don't have to worry about not fitting onto the shuttles in some of my costumes! And I can stay out late!

I'm happy you got your request fulfilled! I thought it probably wasn't going to go well for you to have (what I'm guessing is) Condesce horns on the shuttle. The year I used the shuttle, we were packed like sardines and it was a really fast drive so we were tossed around a bit. Did you request Thursday too, by any chance? I'm still waiting for that day to clear for Marriott and I booked on the first day. I might have to check up on things if they're granting Thursdays already.

Nina Star 9

Between Condesce and Ultimecia, I wasn't sure about that shuttle thing at all!

(Can't wait to retire Condesce, oh my god. Love the costume, but it's a pain.)

I only requested Friday-Monday. I also had my booked room to get me on the waitlist as one night at the hotel I was waitlisted at. Not sure if that factors into waitlisting at all (if they give people would would need the whole weekend but can only book a day more priority than people with the full weekend at a different hotel) or if it's just a straight list in order of the time you signed up.

Kuudere

I said I'd update when I got Thursday added to my Fri-Mon Marriott reservation. Today, I got it.

For reference, I was in the 2/24  3:00pm block.

Mango Bunny

Ugh! Happy for you guys but still fretting for myself! Nothing yet.

Getting anxious!!!!