Hotel Website Goes Live on February 6th at Noon (and FAQ)

Started by M, January 21, 2012, 11:32:08 PM

kimu

One of the problems is there are no nights open for Thursday (Day 0) and Monday for those staying through the con for some of these hotels. So if you only book Friday arrival, checking out Monday, you can get something booked.
I hope there are plans to re-negotiate for the Thurs and Monday nights at the con-rate?

Last year I booked a room in 10 minutes, for Thurs through Monday.
This year it's taken me 50 minutes of frustration.
I have to come home from work to do this, because we can't use our computers at work for things like this, and now this isn't even a finished reservation. I have more work to do to contact people to get the other days added.
ugh.

Charis

Surprised by the fact that there were very few hotel block options for Thursday set up -- it seemed to throw a lot of people's plans.  Hopefully the waitlist can address that like it did for me last year.

Heading to the Fairmont this year.  The elevator situation at the Marriott last year really soured me on it.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Makise09

Quote from: Arkham on February 06, 2012, 12:35:11 PM
Quote from: Makise09 on February 06, 2012, 12:22:24 PM
I just BARELY missed out on the room I wanted at a different hotel so I booked at the Double Tree instead, should I email Housing and ask to be put on a waiting list just in case rooms open up closer to the con date?

Remember that at the DoubleTree, you will be surrounded by Steampunks. =-)

I have no problem with the Double Tree XD but my friends wanted the Ramada so I'm atleast trying for it if I can.

Dany

Have a reservation for the Hilton, but for Friday to Monday, and I am waitlisted for Thursday. We shall see how this rolls out.

Anybody notice that the site -technically- opened before 12 noon, by the way? Like..about 11:55?
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

otakuapprentice

Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

KyraEnsui

Quote from: Dany on February 06, 2012, 12:47:35 PM
Have a reservation for the Hilton, but for Friday to Monday, and I am waitlisted for Thursday. We shall see how this rolls out.

Anybody notice that the site -technically- opened before 12 noon, by the way? Like..about 11:55?

I did.

sayonararollingstar

Quote from: KyraEnsui on February 06, 2012, 12:53:29 PM

I did.

Yup, I noticed this, too.

Gigantor

Quote from: sayonararollingstar on February 06, 2012, 12:56:14 PM

I did.

It said 11:55 am on the page. I thought it was pretty funny ^^ Especially since they posted that it was open on the FanimeCon main page even before that.

Vensy

I've got a question for those of you who have booked with Fanime in previous years - what are the chances that space will open up at the Marriott later on? :<  I had class when rooms went up and missed the Marriott. T^T;;
Go to http://vensy.net for cosplay and art updates! :3
2011 Cosplay: Miku Hatsune, Flandre Scarlet, Black Gold Saw, Suika Ibuki~~[/center]

Mayadesu

Quote from: sayonararollingstar on February 06, 2012, 12:56:14 PM

I did.

I also did. I found it weird that it went up five minutes earlier than they said, because I feel like we wouldn't have gotten the room that we wanted if he hadn't noticed it. The Hilton sold out immediately.

raltga

Quote from: Vensy on February 06, 2012, 02:09:05 PM
I've got a question for those of you who have booked with Fanime in previous years - what are the chances that space will open up at the Marriott later on? :<  I had class when rooms went up and missed the Marriott. T^T;;

No promisses, but there is hope.

Two years ago I missed my chance to get a room at the Marriott; I checked back every day and especially on and around the deadline to cancel and I got a room that someone released. It takes a little patience, persistence and luck but it CAN happen.

Dany

Quote from: Mayadesu on February 06, 2012, 02:33:18 PM
I also did. I found it weird that it went up five minutes earlier than they said, because I feel like we wouldn't have gotten the room that we wanted if he hadn't noticed it. The Hilton sold out immediately.

Well, -kind- of. The big issue was not the weekend overall, but Thursday specifically. I spent several minutes cursing under my breath scrambling with Thursday before I got my Friday-Monday reservation. If you didn't want Thursday, I am gessing things were a little easier.

But yeah, five minutes is an eternity in these situations. What is more interesting is I remember seeing an error message that noted 11:55AM rather than 12 noon as to when to contact them about housing. I guess for them it was opening early so that things would start on time, but I think some people lucked out there.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Rebeccakh

the saint claire already filled up? whaaaaaa <  x > we were needing thursday-monday sad face. my bf is east cost so he had to rush home after work before classes start..

heeroyuy135

Is it me, or did Marriott and Hilton rooms go faster than expected? I booked right after my 12-1:15pm class ended, and everything was literally gone especially for a weekday. Luckily the old Crowne Plaza was still open and I'm excited to see the new hotel since the last time I was there in 2007.

Kyra_Maverick

Is there a reason the cancellation deadline is a further away from Fanime this year? Previously you could cancel within 7-5 days of the convention and not be penalized, but this year you have to cancel almost a full month beforehand.

Also, for those who missed out on the hotels/rooms that you wanted, be sure to email or call Fanime Housing to be added to a waitlist. I've always gotten the room I need with the waitlist option. 

Wabbit98

After years of staying at the Marriott and not always having the best time.  I will be giving the St. Claire a try this year.
2010 - 2013 :Black and White Ball Staff

2014-2015 : Black and White Ball Department Second

2015 : Extravaganzas Division Second

kookiekween99

Quote from: MPLe on February 03, 2012, 05:02:09 PM
Quote from: kookiekween99 on February 03, 2012, 09:51:39 AMQuestion: Will there be two-bed rooms available at the Hilton for Thursday night? I'm pretty sure there will be, but last year my friend had an issues getting a Day Zero room, so I wanted to make sure that would be available.
For Thursday, we will have a room with two beds available.

I feel lied to here. My mom was there at 11:55, and there weren't any double-bed rooms in the Hilton or Marriott on Thursday. :(
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Charis

Quote from: kookiekween99 on February 06, 2012, 03:46:46 PM
Quote from: kookiekween99 on February 03, 2012, 09:51:39 AMQuestion: Will there be two-bed rooms available at the Hilton for Thursday night? I'm pretty sure there will be, but last year my friend had an issues getting a Day Zero room, so I wanted to make sure that would be available.

I feel lied to here. My mom was there at 11:55, and there weren't any double-bed rooms in the Hilton or Marriott on Thursday. :(

There may have been a limited number of those rooms set up in the system; what I did last year was to book Friday through Monday, and e-mail Housing afterwards to request that Thursday (and IIRC Tuesday) be added.  I had no problems with this.
IIRC less rooms are held for the days surrounding Fanime in anticipation of fewer people, and then more added as needed.  Either way, I'm surprised there were so few Thursday rooms available.  But if you e-mail them, you've probably got pretty good odds of getting Thursday added to your reservation (if you've got one), especially asking this far ahead.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Nemuren

This.

kookiekween99

Quote from: Charis on February 06, 2012, 03:50:48 PM

There may have been a limited number of those rooms set up in the system; what I did last year was to book Friday through Monday, and e-mail Housing afterwards to request that Thursday (and IIRC Tuesday) be added.  I had no problems with this.
IIRC less rooms are held for the days surrounding Fanime in anticipation of fewer people, and then more added as needed.  Either way, I'm surprised there were so few Thursday rooms available.  But if you e-mail them, you've probably got pretty good odds of getting Thursday added to your reservation (if you've got one), especially asking this far ahead.

What we did was get 3 two-bedded rooms at the Hilton from Friday Night through Sunday Night and 2 single-bedded rooms at the Marriott from Thursday Night through Sunday Night. We only need two Day Zero rooms out of our five because not all our club members can go on Thursday. We're going to make it work, but I'm worried about making people sleep on the floor of our single-bedded rooms.

EDIT: I just sent an e-mail to cmrhousing explaining my situation and asking about the waiting list. Hopefully I get a favorable response!
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14