Official Swapmeet FAQ (Fans Ask Questions)

Started by Decantus, February 26, 2014, 10:49:20 AM

yoshikochan

Just to be clear... Swap Meet is at the same time, right?

"Swap Meet will be open to fans Thursday and Friday Starting at 7:30pm and will close at Midnight."

I noticed some posts saying we'd get kicked out at 10:30 pm, but then it sounded like that was if we were in South Hall, and Civic Center is still okay for the Midnight closing.

Any info on when check-in will be, and if we'll have pre-assigned spaces?

srossi455

Quote from: Michi on May 19, 2014, 12:15:40 AM
Is it worth it to show up early on Friday and try for a dropped spot since I'm wait listed?
I emailed the swap meet department regarding possible space availability and was told wait list instructions are being sent out soon. Hopefully those instructions arrive by Wednesday so I don't end up wasting my time. Although I can say that in the past I have been able to get in after the pre regs all filed in, but I believe Fanime has become far more crowded since then.

keitoghostie

Quote from: yoshikochan on May 19, 2014, 05:28:23 AM
Just to be clear... Swap Meet is at the same time, right?

"Swap Meet will be open to fans Thursday and Friday Starting at 7:30pm and will close at Midnight."

I noticed some posts saying we'd get kicked out at 10:30 pm, but then it sounded like that was if we were in South Hall, and Civic Center is still okay for the Midnight closing.

Any info on when check-in will be, and if we'll have pre-assigned spaces?
Check in will be 6:30-8:30pm, and it seems as if the spaces are assigned based on lineup order?

Decantus

Check in starts at 6:30pm both days, we will start letting people in to buy at 7:30pm.  If you have not registered or have not made "late check in" arrangements with me via email, your spot will be refunded and given to the next applicant on the wait list.

The 10:30 time was only if we were in South Hall.  Since we didn't have to be in there, we can stay open the full time.  The advertized time is Midnight to start clean up, but we usually allow you to run late if it's still busy.

Further instructions for People with spots and Waitlisted people will be sent out today or tomorrow.  I know it's really close to the con, but we're working as fast as we can.

If anyone is still stuck at Step 5 right now, it's because we're still awaiting some form of verification before approval is done.

For spot selection, it's completely random.  There is no priority or At-Con selection.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

swapmeet <at> fanime dot com

Kuudere

Quote from: Decantus on May 19, 2014, 01:11:10 PM
Check in starts at 6:30pm both days, we will start letting people in to buy at 7:30pm.  If you have not registered or have not made "late check in" arrangements with me via email, your spot will be refunded and given to the next applicant on the wait list.

If I'm reading this right...this may fix my problem...

When my boyfriend registered myself and a friend for swap meet, he accidentally selected both Thursday and Friday when we just wanted a Thursday spot. When he passed the first page, there was no way to go back and change it, and he was afraid that if he started over we'd lose our chance at getting any spot. Supposedly we're approved for both days, I think...

So if we just didn't show up on Friday, we might be refunded for that day? It'd be nice to get it taken care of before the con so the people who do want to sell Friday can just take our spot and not stress about whether they will get a spot or not. But I'll be happy just to not have to pay for a day we aren't interested in.

I know swap meet staff is super busy right now, but hopefully I can get some clarity on this issue! I know there's someone out there who would gladly take my Friday off my hands if there were a way to do so.

Zelyhon

Quote from: Michi on May 19, 2014, 12:15:40 AM
Is it worth it to show up early on Friday and try for a dropped spot since I'm wait listed?
I would say so.  There are always drops and no-shows.  We're going to be pretty stringent on the whole "If you're not there by 8:30 and haven't made arrangements, you lose your spot" thing.  There should be a specific area for waitlisted people hoping to get into Swap Meet.  Entry for the wailisted people will be based on "First Come, First Served."  When you arrive, if you are on the waitlist, you will take a number which determines the order we give out spots in.

If you are waitlisted and you show up to take a number to get in, you will need to be back at the Civic Center by around 8:00 or so.  This is so we can do a short pre-emptive check of your items and paperwork to make sure everything is in order.  This way, when we see how many spots are available, you'll be able to get in and start selling more quickly.  Please be sure to be back by 8:00 so we don't have any holdups of the line.  If you're not there at 8:30 with your stuff and your number, you will not be able to take a space and it will pass on to the next in line.

At this time, the wait list is currently full.  If you are not signed up or on the wait list for a particular day at this time, I am sorry but you will not be able to sell at Swap Meet this year.  If there is any change with regards to this, we will post that information here.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Zelyhon

Quote from: Kuudere on May 19, 2014, 10:51:14 PM

If I'm reading this right...this may fix my problem...

When my boyfriend registered myself and a friend for swap meet, he accidentally selected both Thursday and Friday when we just wanted a Thursday spot. When he passed the first page, there was no way to go back and change it, and he was afraid that if he started over we'd lose our chance at getting any spot. Supposedly we're approved for both days, I think...

So if we just didn't show up on Friday, we might be refunded for that day? It'd be nice to get it taken care of before the con so the people who do want to sell Friday can just take our spot and not stress about whether they will get a spot or not. But I'll be happy just to not have to pay for a day we aren't interested in.

I know swap meet staff is super busy right now, but hopefully I can get some clarity on this issue! I know there's someone out there who would gladly take my Friday off my hands if there were a way to do so.
If he just didn't show up at con, he probably wouldn't be refunded.  We might be able to take care of that ahead of time, though, since you've brought it up.  Private message me or Decantus the name and badge number the spot was registered under and we'll see what we can do.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Kuudere

I sent you a message. Thanks for looking into it for me!

sklathill

So for this swapmeet space, my girlfriend is listed as the primary contact/seller and I'm the secondary seller.

I'm planning on being there at least by 6:30 for the swap meet setup, but she might not be there until after 8 PM thanks to another Fanime event she's taking part in.

Is that going to be a problem?

KyraEnsui

The 10:30 time was only if we were in South Hall.  Since we didn't have to be in there, we can stay open the full time.  The advertized time is Midnight to start clean up, but we usually allow you to run late if it's still busy.

Further instructions for People with spots and Waitlisted people will be sent out today or tomorrow.  I know it's really close to the con, but we're working as fast as we can.

If anyone is still stuck at Step 5 right now, it's because we're still awaiting some form of verification before approval is done.

For spot selection, it's completely random.  There is no priority or At-Con selection.

This answers my question about being late to check in. Thanks! I'm picking up my badge at CA and they don't start until 5pm. I will email about being a bit late if I do.

metapod100

If anyone is willing to share their space and split the cost on either day, send me an email.

srossi455

8:30 huh? Sounds like I'll be standing in line for awhile hoping to grab a spot. Will potential sellers on the wait list still be allowed to get their badges early?

dooditzmike

If anyone does have a spot at the swap meet and is willing to share with me. Let me know! I'll pay for the entire spot (Friday) so you don't have to worry about it :D

Decantus

Quote from: sklathill on May 20, 2014, 01:10:20 AM
So for this swapmeet space, my girlfriend is listed as the primary contact/seller and I'm the secondary seller.

I'm planning on being there at least by 6:30 for the swap meet setup, but she might not be there until after 8 PM thanks to another Fanime event she's taking part in.

Is that going to be a problem?

As long as you were signed up as the second during the reg process, it's fine.  Make sure that she brings the required documents.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

bsan89

Had wait-listed email been send out?
I don't think I'm too far in the line.
Not sure if I should wait or look for someone
who's willing to share their space. 

srossi455

Quote from: bsan89 on May 20, 2014, 06:16:17 PM

Had wait-listed email been send out?
I don't think I'm too far in the line.
Not sure if I should wait or look for someone
who's willing to share their space.

I don't think there is a "too far" up on the wait list. I was told that having a swap meet account meant you're on the wait list. I can say that I'm getting a bit nervous being this close to Fanime without proper wait list instruction, but I'm keeping faith in the swap meet department. Plus I have so much inventory that it might be difficult to share a space.

Decantus

I'll post the wait list instructions in here for everyone since it looks like most people on the Official Waitlist will be able to get in.  What this means is that if you've created an account, but received the "Spaces not Available" status, you will be Wait list-Wait listed, if that makes sense.  Official Wait listed people will have priority, but you can still possibly make it in.

QuoteHere is some information for you.

1. Wait list will be admitted starting at 8:30pm ending at 9pm.  Show up at 8pm to check in, letting us know that you are here and still want a spot.

2. If you intend to sell, please bring a copy of the Swap Meet Seller's Agreement and your BOE-410-D, links below.

http://www.fanime.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Fanime-Swap-Meet-Application-Form-2014.pdf

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/boe410d.pdf

-I will not have any forms printed up, if you ask me, I will direct you to the FedEx Office down the street and you will have until 9pm before all registration ends.

3. We will not have a place for your stuff, leave it in your car until you know you've secured a spot.

4. If you are fortunate enough to get a spot, please observe the following.  No Handcarts, dollies, pushcarts, wagons, wheelbarrows, two-wheelers, or other cargo assistants apparatuses are to be used to ferry your goods to Swap Meet.
-Rolling luggage is allowed.
-If you do not adhere to this rule, you will be turned away at the door and if you do not return before 8:30 your spot will be treated as a no show.
-My staff will not be helping you carry your stuff, we have many people participating and my staff is limited.
-If you try to re-negotiate this rule with me at con, I will consider you as forfeiting your spot, do not test me on this rule.

5. Please bring exact change for you spot if possible.  Spots are $30.

That covers the more important stuff,  If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me or ask in the forums.

I do expect to get most into a space, but even if you're not able to get a spot, stop by and check it out!  Never know what you're going to find.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

srossi455

Quote from: Decantus on May 21, 2014, 10:01:56 AM
I'll post the wait list instructions in here for everyone since it looks like most people on the Official Waitlist will be able to get in.  What this means is that if you've created an account, but received the "Spaces not Available" status, you will be Wait list-Wait listed, if that makes sense.  Official Wait listed people will have priority, but you can still possibly make it in.

Wait, there's a two tier waitlist? So this means if I show up early enough to get a number in line, I can still be passed up and turned away? This seems contrary to the word I received about automatically being placed on the waitlist upon creating an account. Also, I still have not been told if waitlisted (or waitlisted-waitlisted) people will be able to use the priority registration line to obtain their badges.

metapod100

If I am selling new items and this is the only time I am selling, will I need a Temporary Seller's Permit?

bsan89

Quote from: Decantus on May 21, 2014, 10:01:56 AM

QuoteHere is some information for you.

1. Wait list will be admitted starting at 8:30pm ending at 9pm.  Show up at 8pm to check in, letting us know that you are here and still want a spot.

2. If you intend to sell, please bring a copy of the Swap Meet Seller's Agreement and your BOE-410-D, links below.

http://www.fanime.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Fanime-Swap-Meet-Application-Form-2014.pdf

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/boe410d.pdf

-I will not have any forms printed up, if you ask me, I will direct you to the FedEx Office down the street and you will have until 9pm before all registration ends.

3. We will not have a place for your stuff, leave it in your car until you know you've secured a spot.

4. If you are fortunate enough to get a spot, please observe the following.  No Handcarts, dollies, pushcarts, wagons, wheelbarrows, two-wheelers, or other cargo assistants apparatuses are to be used to ferry your goods to Swap Meet.
-Rolling luggage is allowed.
-If you do not adhere to this rule, you will be turned away at the door and if you do not return before 8:30 your spot will be treated as a no show.
-My staff will not be helping you carry your stuff, we have many people participating and my staff is limited.
-If you try to re-negotiate this rule with me at con, I will consider you as forfeiting your spot, do not test me on this rule.

5. Please bring exact change for you spot if possible.  Spots are $30.

That covers the more important stuff,  If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me or ask in the forums.

I do expect to get most into a space, but even if you're not able to get a spot, stop by and check it out!  Never know what you're going to find.

I have a few question since I'm taking my chance for Friday Swap meet wait-list.

1.) What is the "Official Wait-list" Mine said, "

Waitlisted

Unfortunately, it appears that our main count is full for this day.
You have been placed on the waitlist. If spaces open up within this week, we will notify you."

2.) Does it matter what my application #? I'm # 811.
I get the feeling I will be wait an hour in line just to be turn away... :(