FanimeCon 2021 Forums

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: October 08, 2021, 05:10:24 PM 
Started by InsaneDavid - Last post by InsaneDavid
Good evening old schoolers!

Although the Old School Cosplay Gathering generally features anime and manga characters, pre-2001 video game cosplay is also always welcomed.  In the years since I began hosting duties we have always had at least a couple old school video game cosplayers.  For this week's OP I'm going with the opening of what has remained my favorite RPG since first playing it back in 1999.  When the original version of Grandia was released on the Saturn in 1997 it was considered to be the pinnacle of traditional RPGs on the system.  A PlayStation conversion followed, which was localized into English and released in 1999.  The series would spawn sequels and spinoffs but this first game in the series is far and away the best title of them in my opinion.  To be honest, aside from the original the only other Grandia game I liked was Grandia III and it wasn't without its problems.  Funny enough, playing a demo of Grandia that was included with an issue of Official US PlayStation Magazine was what got me to buy the game way back when.  Proof that sometimes a demo does lead to a sale.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Grandia (1997)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze7FPcxpQvI

on: October 05, 2021, 03:42:54 PM 
Started by pokefan995 - Last post by pokefan995
Bump <3 with a hopeful return to fanime this upcoming year!

on: October 05, 2021, 03:42:18 PM 
Started by pokefan995 - Last post by pokefan995
And with today's update, we officially have our last DLC fighter for this smash Bros game. Hopefully this means there will be a new one in the works, and I am absolutely THRILLED to be able to accept Sora's for fighters and other kingdom hearts character tbd for spirits!

on: October 03, 2021, 05:00:34 PM 

A random pick for this week that happens to be a very early title.  While Tetsuwan Atom / Astro Boy isn't the first anime series by any stretch, it was still massively influential and important - and surprisingly holds up as well today as when it was first created.

Celebrating An Era - 1960's!  Tetsuwan Atom (1963)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSbaZuTW1Q0

on: September 25, 2021, 08:26:36 PM 

Going over ground we've covered very early in the gathering thread but with the preview trailer for the live action Cowboy Bebop series being released, I figured we could do it again.  I've never been the biggest Cowboy Bebop fan - by that I mean I was never crazy into it the way so many others were / are but I do really like series.  If anything I think the live action series will be entertaining and if it isn't, it doesn't change what the anime was.  I mean, there was a French live action City Hunter movie released in 2019 that did the main characters justice and was fine, although it was gummed up with French slapstick comedy - which I've never been a fan of - but it wasn't terrible or anything, so who knows.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Cowboy Bebop (1998)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRI_8PUXx2A

on: September 24, 2021, 12:27:04 AM 
Started by Angelx624 - Last post by Angelx624
It might still be a bit too early to plan, but I was thinking of maybe having the gathering by the snake statue at Cesar Chavez park(which is known as G10), I'm not sure how big the gathering will be, but I think this location could work! ^^

on: September 20, 2021, 09:10:34 PM 
Started by HunterZero - Last post by HunterZero
Midnight Madness this weekend!
Saturday September 25, 2021
11PM - 2AM
All times Pacific
http://twitch.tv/andrevsworld

#midnightmadness

STAY UP LATE
WATCH VIDEOS
HEAR THE VOICES

on: September 12, 2021, 10:46:30 PM 
Good late evening old schoolers!

I've actually been watching quite a bit of anime over the past few days and this week's OP is from one of them.  Cyber City Oedo 808 is a three episode OVA set in cyberpunk Japan of the year 2808.  Three criminals - Sengoku, Benten, and Gogl - are enlisted by the Cyber Police to complete assignments in exchange for a reduction in their sentences.  However with each of them serving terms of over 300 years, and each completed mission only removing a fraction of that time, the chances of any of them eventually going free are slim.  Each of them wears an exploding collar around their neck, controlled by their supervising officer, Chief Hasegawa.  Hasegawa sets a time limit for each assignment, with the collar exploding if it is not completed in the allotted time.  Additionally he can manually detonate a collar at any time and often changes the rules and parameters of an assignment on the fly.

The series is a futuristic take on the police practices of the Edo period of Japan, complete with each criminal being armed with a jitte both as a practical weapon and symbol.  It is beautifully animated, full of great action, interesting stories, and dynamic character designs.  It's also very short, with only three episodes that are each focused around one of the main characters as they complete assignments.  The whole thing is presented as if it is a small slice of a larger narrative but this is a one-take OVA, with no expanding anime series or manga.  Honestly it is done so well and is so interesting that it's kind of a shame there isn't more of it.  It was recently re-released on Blu-ray by the good people at Discotek Media, including both the US and UK English dubs in addition to the original Japanese with English subtitles.

If you like cyberpunk and the work of Yoshiaki Kawajiri (who also directed Wicked City, Demon City Shinjuku, Ninja Scroll, and much more) then this is either one you're familiar with or haven't seen in awhile.  Check it out again, outstanding opening song as well.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Cyber City Oedo 808 (1990)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu0bReALU6Y

on: September 06, 2021, 01:31:41 PM 
Good afternoon old schoolers!

Apologies for being away for a couple weeks, things have gotten busier than usual.  Everything's good however.  I'm officially moving the gathering updates back to our usual weekly posts as I remain optimistic that come Memorial Day Weekend 2022 we'll be having an in-person FanimeCon.  Although I have elected to personally skip conventions until 2022, they are starting to spin back up - even in downtown San Jose.  These are important, as they will set the precedent for how conventions will get rolling again and be planned out into the next year.  I know it can seem really discouraging that this isn't all behind us at this point, but we are so close to getting it under control - truly.  I hope you are all doing well.

For this week, an OP we've featured "this year" but it just seems appropriate with how things are.  At one point I planned it as a dirty trick for the tiebreaker round of our Vintage Anime - Name That Year panel, as visually the OP is mostly nothing but rolling flames until the very end.

Celebrating An Era - 1980's!  Area 88 (1985)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlE-1lOHS6I

on: August 28, 2021, 08:09:40 AM 
Started by HunterZero - Last post by HunterZero

Andre Pena
@andrevsworld
ยท
Aug 24
Midnight Madness this weekend!
Saturday August 28, 2021
11PM - 2AM
All times Pacific
http://twitch.tv/andrevsworld

#midnightmadness

STAY UP LATE
WATCH VIDEOS
HEAR THE VOICES

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 30 queries.