Anyone else miss having to have a badge for Swap Meet?

Started by crystalsoul, November 08, 2014, 12:40:56 PM

crystalsoul

Maybe its a selfish thing to say, but i kinda miss the old policy where you had to have a badge to get into the swap meet on Day 0. To me the Day 0 Swap Meet was kind of a reward for getting your badge early :P

Also does anyone know where the swap meet is gonna be this year?

SpiritOfKairi

I would be surprised if anyone knew where the swap meet is going to be at this stage.  We'll probably find out about that a week out from the convention.  But that also brings up an important question since Fanime seems to be struggling to find a good location.  People complained that the game hall got too crowded hosting it; AA didn't work when AA was next door to the game hall; the Fairmont was inconvenient at best with the line and the 2-room system; and the building right across the street wasn't that great with very limited space and a 2-hour line to get in (seriously, that's how long my friends and I waited).  The south hall would be great, except it closes early and swap meet is more of an evening event.  How about the new ballroom in the CC?  Or is that where dance lessons are being held now?

Admiral Donuts

I think the area where they did reg last year would be great for Swap Meet. Now that reg is a much shorter process it was barely in use last year.

kookiekween99

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on November 08, 2014, 03:08:22 PMHow about the new ballroom in the CC?  Or is that where dance lessons are being held now?

The new Ballroom is where Artist Alley was in 2014 and will probably continue to be unless they change it again.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: kookiekween99 on November 09, 2014, 06:37:19 PM
Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on November 08, 2014, 03:08:22 PMHow about the new ballroom in the CC?  Or is that where dance lessons are being held now?

The new Ballroom is where Artist Alley was in 2014 and will probably continue to be unless they change it again.

Oohhh, I see.  No, keep the AA there.  That was a great location!

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on November 08, 2014, 03:14:04 PM
I think the area where they did reg last year would be great for Swap Meet. Now that reg is a much shorter process it was barely in use last year.

Well it would be closer and have slightly more room, but I don't know if staff would be able to clear out the registration line tape to do that.

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on November 09, 2014, 06:52:42 PM
Well it would be closer and have slightly more room, but I don't know if staff would be able to clear out the registration line tape to do that.

They don't really need all the registration line tape anymore. It was useful for the opening of reg last year but other than that it was just a maze. It could be set up in the "reg room" itself without making much difference.

Hachimitsu

sadly the badges now are for those who want to sell their merchandise..
Last year was LAST minute..
it's really upsetting that the last years before for swap meet that it hasn't gotten any attention to any of the staff members of fanime.

The guy who was incharge did his best to bring it to the auditorium (i think thats what it was called).

Also last fanime's (2014) swap meet rules changed when family members has to be split apart. I find this abit dissapointing so hopefully this rule is removed on 2015 (that is if there ever is another swap meet to happen!)

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on November 10, 2014, 02:43:16 PM
sadly the badges now are for those who want to sell their merchandise..
Last year was LAST minute..
it's really upsetting that the last years before for swap meet that it hasn't gotten any attention to any of the staff members of fanime.

The guy who was incharge did his best to bring it to the auditorium (i think thats what it was called).

Also last fanime's (2014) swap meet rules changed when family members has to be split apart. I find this abit dissapointing so hopefully this rule is removed on 2015 (that is if there ever is another swap meet to happen!)

Decantus, who headed swap meet last year, is one of my best friends. This year he's been promoted to vice chair of fan services if I recall correctly. The decision to randomize the spots was due to previous years when vendors would get spots next to each other under the guise of a "swap meet" seller and basically get around all of the cost and requirements of being a proper vendor at Fanime. As a result, while we initially wanted to allow people to make these requests, it was ultimately easier to just not allow it at all. Will that change this year? Who knows. My guess would be probably not.

I know a lot of people wanted more foot-traffic space, and the civic auditorium is limited in terms of the total bodies we can support in the building without there being a fire hazard (sellers may remember the fire alarm scare we had, that was fun!)

In any case, a lot of the alternative spaces were not practical for one reason or another, but in the planning this year maybe we can find a more accommodating space.

I'm excited for another swap meet! See you there!
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

xichisex

I want to sign up for the swap meet, but I don't know when the reg will go up for it. Im worried about working that day and not getting a spot. Does anyone have any information at all about last year and when that one happened or what I should do to make sure I have a space? I really have a lot of things I want to try to sell.

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

Dajoo

For those that missed the thread... http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,19894.0.html

It will be in south hall. No amplified sound. Please read the thread above for all the information.

Dealers Head       2012-2016
Item Check Head  2014
Dealers Staff        2009-2011
Vid Staff              2005-2008

Exhibits Staff AOD 2014-20 ??? ???