What food do you bring/How do you save money?

Started by DangerHeart, May 02, 2013, 12:34:49 PM

DangerHeart

Normally I go to the Dollar store and such for ramen and bread for sandwiches before fanime. But I'm curious what other people do to save a few bucks on food. Do you shop sales the few weeks before or have a discount card at a store that gets you more savings?

This year I'm going to a little store near my house that sells "damaged goods"($1 for a box of Captain Crunch that got dented).

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: DangerHeart on May 02, 2013, 12:34:49 PM
Normally I go to the Dollar store and such for ramen and bread for sandwiches before fanime. But I'm curious what other people do to save a few bucks on food. Do you shop sales the few weeks before or have a discount card at a store that gets you more savings?

This year I'm going to a little store near my house that sells "damaged goods"($1 for a box of Captain Crunch that got dented).

Please don't try to survive off of Ramen for Fanime, that is incredibly unhealthy.

Granola Bars can be pretty cheap and easy to keep around for snacks. Bananas work well as a morning meal and they don't require refrigeration. PB&Js are also quite inexpensive and easy to make.
All that said you should always bring some kind of vitamin supplement like One-a-Day to make sure you at least have them in your system. Fanime Weekend can be quite demanding on your body so you want it to be properly fueled.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

keitoghostie

I really like Fresh & Easy since they have a lot of prepared meals and there's a good chance you'll be able to get something on clearance! There's one about 10 minutes away (driving) from the convention center.

In general if you want to stave off feeling hungry, go for foods that are higher in protein! They'll leave you feeling fuller longer.

Grocery Outlet is also a really great place to get discounted food, especially if you want to stock up prior to checking in. I'd recommend bringing small snacks (like protein bars, granola bars, fruit snacks even) that you can stick in your bag in case you're hungry but busy. These also make decent breakfast items (which will also keep you fuller longer).
There is a location in downtown San Jose, about 5 minutes away (driving).

Lastly if you want to dine out, do some research! A number of places will provide coupons online or have happy hour specials which you can use to your advantage to maximize your savings.

BunofGovt

Trail mix, nuts, M&Ms, fruit.  We do bring a hot water pot and ramen but we end up ordering from room service one night, and then hitting places in the neighborhood for a sitdown dinner at least once.  Also cereal and those small cartons of milk that don't need refrigeration (like Horizon or from Trader Joe's) for breakfast or snack.  A case of water.  I'm bringing peanut butter this year, and crackers, or just a spoon.  ;D
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Lucifargundam

I stock up at the dollar store. I keep my food-related purchases at-con to a minimum.

I try to keep my impulse buying to a minimum.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

cutiebunny

I would suggest eating two solid meals a day.  Solid meaning *not* top ramen.  Have a good breakfast and maybe a healthy and hearty early dinner.  Bring some healthy snacks with you to munch on inbetween. If you're flying and you don't have roomies that have access to cars, I'd go this route.  If you're coming on Day 0, use the extra time you have after registration to familiarize yourself with the area and find a grocery store.  If you've brought a small roller bag, use that to fill up on water (or bring your own refillable container) and snack foods.  If you're not going to have time for that, pack some healthy foods with you in your luggage, if at all possible.  I recommend dried fruit since most of my diet consists of them, and I always have a hard time finding meals with a suitable portion of veggies.  Might I suggest hitting Costco before you arrive to the con?  They not only have a good supply of dried fruits, but their M&M trail mix is spectacular.  It's got just the right amount of sugar, salt and protein to keep you going for a couple of hours.  I've survived a lot of cons by carrying a bag or two of dried coconut or apricots.

I also recommend having a lot of liquid on you.  I go through a lot of water at cons, so having a refillable bottle with me is key.  Always make sure you have plenty of liquids with you.  Yeah, you might have to hit the bathrooms more, but most people are friendly and they'll save your spot in line while you do what you need to do.  Those of us who have attended cons at least once know what you've been through.

Speaking of which, I would suggest ramping up your vitamin intake starting now.  You're going to be standing around with 20K+ people, all of which have been exposed to a bevy of germs that you may not have immunity to.  People get sick at cons all the time, or attend cons sick.  Eat a healthy diet, get some exercise, and take your vitamins. 

DangerHeart

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on May 02, 2013, 05:21:13 PM
Quote from: DangerHeart on May 02, 2013, 12:34:49 PM

Please don't try to survive off of Ramen for Fanime, that is incredibly unhealthy.

Granola Bars can be pretty cheap and easy to keep around for snacks. Bananas work well as a morning meal and they don't require refrigeration. PB&Js are also quite inexpensive and easy to make.
All that said you should always bring some kind of vitamin supplement like One-a-Day to make sure you at least have them in your system. Fanime Weekend can be quite demanding on your body so you want it to be properly fueled.

I never eat only ramen I just bring some with me for quick meals if I'm a little hungry and don't want to go all out on a meal. I always bring sandwich meats and PB&J with me, usually fruit or instant oatmeal for breakfast. I have a pretty set list for what I buy every con, this year I'm just wanting to change it up a bit.

crystalsoul

sandwich material is a MUST for me xD saves so much money, makes so many meals, and its quite delicious.

usually my group brings PB&J material and regular sandwich material as well (however everyone pays for their own meat).

and some chips are nice too ;3

otakuya

What's funny is that this sounds like we're all training for a marathon or going camping.

I like cutiebunny's suggestion of actually having good and big meals because you go through snacks really quick. If you have money, indulge yourself in a big meal once in a while at a restaurant near the con. Not just Subway, but maybe Original Joes, McCormick & Schmicks, Scott's Seafood, Peggy Sues, Johnny Rockets, etc.

If the weather during FC is like what it is today, DRINKS and WATER are more important. Stock up on sports drinks, water, juice, and occasional energy drink.

I love anything sugar free or "zero". I'd stock up on Arnold Palmer Zeros; they're only 79 cents a can at FoodMax

Alejandro Cuba

My group usually hits Costco for a flat of those mini water bottles.  We usually work an Artist Alley table and those are easier to deal with there. We also get a thing of trail mix from there because its a good balanced snack. 

Otherwise we go to one of the restaurants mentioned above or those in Japan Town.  The other thing we do which I guess is a bit out of the norm is that we bake. We make maple cookies, scones with nuts and chocolate and raisins, and pirozki.  They generally last the whole weekend and mean we have to leave the table less. 

Rhornez

Cases of water
some granola bars or trail mix
rice cooker and brown rice
Popchips huge bag
case of kombucha
cinammon bread
coconut water
canned albacore with vegetables

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

Somethingducky

We always bring granola bars and bags of chips, maybe a few miso soup packets. You should definitely bring your own soda, energy drinks and a refillable water bottle, buying drinks with every meal can get very expensive (2-5$ per drink)! A small travel cooler can go a long way too, most hotels have free ice machines, just bring a few large Ziploc bags to fill with ice.

In general we don't buy breakfast (this is where the granola comes in) we'll have our largest meal as a late lunch ~2-3pm and just snack or buy something smaller for dinner. Boyfriend and I almost always share our soda and I always have a refillable water bottle. This saves lots of money.

GokuMew2

If you don't bring any food with you to the con, there is a Safeway near SJSU at the Paseo de San Antonio light rail station. It's just a short walk from the convention center.

I agree with not surviving the con on ramen. It might be the "otaku" way of doing things but it certainly is not the most healthy.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

clickclackbang

Bring a bottle to fill water, some fruit, and maybe some snacks. I use to bring bread and other things to build a sandwich, but to be honest when I go to Fanime I end up eating out a lot. Btw there's a Safeway near by and Subway eat fresh right?

Lucifargundam

I forgot to mention what foods I bring:::
-2 cases of waterbottles
-liters of various soda from dollar store
-dried or pre-prepared food from dollar store(ramen, pretzles, etc)
-cups, bowls and plasticware(not food but still good to have if youre bringing somehting like cereal)

since there's no microwave and use of the minifridge is nil... i try to refrain from frozen food or stuff that has to get heated up- though I've heard of some resourceful stories like using water heated up from coffee pots and people bringing their own ovens(too much effort and hotels dont appreciate it).

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

Otaku_Lord

Eating is very important, it helps you keep your strength up during the convention. Eating things that benefit your body instead of junk is also important.
My first FanimeCon I lived completely off of Nutrigrain Bars, Water, and Potato Chips. I remember "splurging" to buy one of the convention center's expensive hotdogs and then felt bad about it because that 10$ could have been a figure lol.

Seriously, I paid for it. Lethargic, weak, and tired the whole time and I regretted living like that for 4 days in the end.

I personally start saving for FanimeCon in January every year. I take a portion of my monthly income and set it aside in a secret box and try to forget its not there. Usually I end up with somewhere around 1-2 grand. That allows for some decent shopping and able to eat food wherever I feel like without losing too much money so I can still come home with a nice loot haul. This year I'll be looking into taking some trips to the post office in SJ to ship most of what I buy since its usually way too much to fit in a vehicle or take home on a train.

I know not everyone can do this, but I highly suggest having 2 separate funds for food and loot, or save up a crapload so it doesn't matter in the end.

Xia

Hmm, don't know if I can post my question here, but here goes.

Hotels usually provide ice boxes, right? So is it safe to store things like cream cheese (which is the only perishable item I am thinking of bringing for breakfast) in the container without changing ice for more than four hours? If not I would just pack peanut butter, etc.

Nina Star 9

Xia, I bring milk every year, and I've brought lunch meat before, only changed the ice maybe once a day, and haven't had any issues. Even people in the room with stomachs much more sensitive than mine have eaten these things and been fine. Just check it occasionally to make sure it doesn't seem to be too warm.

Oniko

I bring a hot plate.... *Shifty eyes*.....and get non frozen pasta things to cook in it.  Also campbells soups because the cans have tabs for you to pull so you dont need an opener and I make everything in my a pot on my hot plate in the hotel. f I'm really lucky I can snag a frig and I walk down to the nearby safeway and fill it up with sandwhich things and soda...
Thats right lots of SODA.  Because if you buy from a machine at the Con or Fast food thats about $3.00 EVERYTIME.  I strongly reccomend bringing your own if you can.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

Belfry

Quote from: Xia on May 16, 2013, 01:13:56 PM
Hmm, don't know if I can post my question here, but here goes.

Hotels usually provide ice boxes, right? So is it safe to store things like cream cheese (which is the only perishable item I am thinking of bringing for breakfast) in the container without changing ice for more than four hours? If not I would just pack peanut butter, etc.
Perishable foods can be above 41 degrees (ice is about 32 degrees) for 4 hours total (this includes the time it was at this temperature at the grocery store, being transported, etc) before enough bacteria grow in them that they can make you ill. So once your ice melts, you probably don't want to leave your food un-chilled for very long beyond that. Getting sick is a sure fire way to ruin your con experience!

If you're using an ice chest you want to make sure that the ice surrounds the item (top, bottom and sides) to keep it cold as long as possible.

Edit: And to all the people who're planning to bring dozens of bottles of water, consider bringing a reusable water bottle instead! It's way cheaper, and you can fill it up at the myriad of water coolers, water fountains and sinks around the convention for free.