Blood drive? HECK YEAH BLOOD DRIVE.

Started by Mango Bunny, May 16, 2011, 01:37:49 AM

Mango Bunny

It's been a while since I donated blood, so I think this is great. I'm pretty excited. I assume you're all with me? =D

Where is Parkside Hall A?

Ooooh, I hope they have nicely colored bandages. Like pink.

Neo-Zaku

Rossiu advises all qualified citizens to donate blood as it is an important civic function that ensures that blood is available on that day YOU may need it.  ;)

In all seriousness I will be there donating and it really is something important to do. It doesn't take long and given it's a holiday weekend odds are good someone will need that blood. Plus they give you cookies and stuff. :P
There is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack is to be able to throw yourself at the ground...

...and miss!

Proud Member of TGC!

M

Google Maps of the area where Parkside Hall is (essentially between the Civic and The Tech Museum.

(PDF) layout of Parkside Hall A/B. Note that we're only in A.

I am not sure which doors will be open, but you can always walk through The Tech Museum entrance that's on Park Ave / S. Market St to get to Parkside Hall A.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Kaycea

I plan on donating, and it would be nice to get a ribbon or shirt as a perk  ;) (but I'd still donate anyway) It's only blood..I wont need it...right('_'?)
My daily mantra is L.I.F.E.= Losing.Is.Failing.Excellently.
So it's not that I didn't win...I just choose not to succeed.
Cosplays I've done:
Everyday of my life-Me
Fanime 08'-Dosu Kinuta
Fanime 11'-Kuro Shinobi no Mono
Sacanime 11'-(Same)+Kuroneko

Persona

Darn! I'd love to but I'm not allowed to donate until June (according to Stanford BC anyway). Hope lots of people show up to donate though!

NerdyBirdAsh

This announcement came at the perfect time, as I just got the email saying I'm eligible to donate again after my last donation.
I made my appointment for 10 on the dot. :D
Attending FanimeCon for 15 years in 2019

Nina Star 9

I don't meet the weight requirements to donate, but to everyone who does and is willing:

Be sure to hydrate well, eat something more substatial than Pocky and instant ramen, and get some sleep! Don't eat nothing but Pocky, stay up all night, and then try to donate blood. (...and then don't try to stay up all night that night, either, or run around like crazy afterwards...)

Take care of yourselves out there! :D

acostory

I really would love to, but I'm not allowed to donate until June either because I'm underage D|

Moonblossom

On behalf of the useless sickies, thank you!

I can't give blood myself cause of my stupid heart problems but it cheers me up to see so many people excited about this.

Persona

Oh yeah! I should add -- if you're of age and meet the minimum requirements, just go donate! They welcome walk-ins and check you beforehand if you're eligible, and usually Stanford Blood Centers give out something nice to people who come in and try to donate. Plus, free cookies, pretzels, ice cream, and juice to those who do donate! Who doesn't like free goodies?

HunterZero

I can't donate at Fanime because I already donated to the Stanford Blood Center at the beginning of May, but I encourage everyone to donate if you can!

Here are some pointers:
Drink lots of water before and after donation
Eat a balanced meal before you donate, preferably something rich in Iron
Don't skip or miss any meals after donating
Immediately report any dizziness or lightheadedness after donating
Enjoy the cookies and take it easy for 24 hours after donating

You can get more information on eligibility for donating here:
http://bloodcenter.stanford.edu/donate/EligibilityMedHisDeferral.html

Please please please donate if you can. The SBC folks are a good bunch of people and if you're a little scared they'll get you through it. Most of the pain comes from the initial test they run from a prick into a finger, not from the actual donation.

Your blood WILL save lives. You'll get a cool sticker and colored arm band, and if you come and find me while wearing a sticker or armband I'll give you a Cthulhu for President button.

DO IT
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Moonblossom

Quote from: HunterZero on May 16, 2011, 02:17:31 PM
You'll get a cool sticker and colored arm band, and if you come and find me while wearing a sticker or armband I'll give you a Cthulhu for President button.

DO IT

T_T Can I have one anyway just because I'm whiny and useless?

M

Unfortunately, we're not giving away stickers. We've had issues in the past with stickers that we've handed out appearing all over the place. This makes Team San Jose mad and they (much to their dismay) have to charge us to have their staff move them.

Originally, I wanted to do something really cool and put a FanimeCon spin to it, but A) plans came too late and B) I need to find something cool enough to where people wouldn't feel forced to donate just for that cool item/prize.

If the turnout is great this year, we will definitely be bringing it back next year and working to put a spin on it. ;) If you have any ideas, e-mail me.

Antstep

I honestly would but the sight of just a drop of blood makes me light headed so I think giving blood would make me faint.  :-[

Touya no Miko

I have an blood donation appointment on Wednesday so I won't be able to do it next week. Plus I need an hour to recover after I've donated. I learned my lesson the last time. x_x
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

HunterZero

Quote from: MPLe on May 16, 2011, 02:34:00 PM
Unfortunately, we're not giving away stickers. We've had issues in the past with stickers that we've handed out appearing all over the place. This makes Team San Jose mad and they (much to their dismay) have to charge us to have their staff move them.

Originally, I wanted to do something really cool and put a FanimeCon spin to it, but A) plans came too late and B) I need to find something cool enough to where people wouldn't feel forced to donate just for that cool item/prize.

If the turnout is great this year, we will definitely be bringing it back next year and working to put a spin on it. ;) If you have any ideas, e-mail me.

Is Stanford going to give away their normal "I gave blood" stickers?
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Mango Bunny

I have a 33% success rate in giving blood, so I will most certainly start ironing up a week before. Apparently if you start iron intake that far ahead it really does help so it can get into your system. Also, you can ask for the smallest needle where I normally donate. I didn't even feel it last time. It might take a minute longer, but oh well.

Yayyyyyyyy

Persona

Quote from: Mango Bunny on May 16, 2011, 05:17:40 PM
I have a 33% success rate in giving blood, so I will most certainly start ironing up a week before. Apparently if you start iron intake that far ahead it really does help so it can get into your system. Also, you can ask for the smallest needle where I normally donate. I didn't even feel it last time. It might take a minute longer, but oh well.

Yayyyyyyyy

The first time I gave blood I hadn't started taking vitamins yet and my hemoglobin was around 13... 3 months later + consistent vitamin taking and my hemoglobin jumped up to 14.1 (and I was on a diet no less). So yeah, supplementation works!

M

Quote from: HunterZero on May 16, 2011, 04:28:56 PMIs Stanford going to give away their normal "I gave blood" stickers?

Nope. I just realized that I didn't clarify that when I said "we" in the above statement to mean that Stanford or FanimeCon.

HunterZero

Okay then, I'll amend my previous offer for a Cthulhu for President button. One will be provided if you have the colorful bandage they put over the draw site.
Cthulhu for President!