FanimeCon 2021 Forums

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: May 07, 2021, 09:41:36 PM 
Started by InsaneDavid - Last post by InsaneDavid
Good evening old schoolers!

May is upon us!  To kick off the month that means in-person Fanime is a year away, I decided to go with a pretty great ending.  It's no secret I love City Hunter - after all, my wife and I cosplay under the name Mokkori Cosplay with "mokkori" more or less being the series catchphrase.  Discotek Media announced that the first half of City Hunter 2 on Blu-ray will be released this July.  I consider City Hunter 2 the best series of the franchise as many of the stories span two episodes, allowing deeper storytelling with just as much action and comedy.  Episodes 49 and 50, "Goodbye Hard-Boiled City," is often considered to be the flat out best story in the entire franchise.  I agree, although the City Hunter '91 episode "My Love For Tonight Only, Cinderella Story in the City" is my favorite episode, and a perfect adaptation of my favorite City Hunter manga story (chapters 143 and 144, Cinderella in the City).  I really do miss cosplaying as Ryo Saeba, doubly so considering that City Hunter was just beginning to ride a new wave of international popularity at the beginning of 2020.

Celebrating An Era - 1980's!  City Hunter 2 (1988)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqTao0YEvRs (ENDING 1)

on: April 30, 2021, 08:38:28 PM 

Closing out April today and I will admit it still feels more strange rather than normal to not be preparing for an in-person FanimeCon during this time of the year.  I suppose that's a good thing, means my interest in cosplay and conventions hasn't lessened in this time away from them.  Really glad to see things starting to turn around in regards to the ongoing pandemic, at least in my area.

This week's OP, from Super Dimension Calvary Southern Cross, is one I enjoy although I absolutely do not care for the series it leads off.  Southern Cross just never clicked with me - nor did it with Japanese viewers in 1984, as it was canceled before its originally planned ending due to low ratings.  Not exactly the best way to follow up the other two unrelated "Super Dimension" series - Macross and Orguss - which were both quite successful, especially Macross (although Orguss is way better and you all know it.....)  Still has a cool opening song though!

Celebrating An Era - 1980's!  Super Dimension Calvary Southern Cross (1984)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7UUQd7lLbA

on: April 23, 2021, 06:21:01 PM 

As I'm sure many of you have seen, virtual FanimeCon 2021 has awoken a bit.  While we won't be gathering this year (and our vintage anime panel is being rolled forward to 2022 as it has so much audience participation / discussion), I am really happy to see Fanime attempt to provide some content and added value for those who registered back in 2019 / 2020.

For this week I've chosen an ending that totally brings back that old school anime vibe, especially if you were into anime during the 1990's western boom.  I love Dominion Tank Police and have since I first saw it.  I also amazingly still find it just as hilarious today as I did 25 or so years ago.  Of course it also ran during Sci-Fi Channel's "Festival of Anime" albeit in a slight edited form, so it's an obscure one a lot of people may have seen.  It's also one of the series that I will endlessly advocate that the English dub is the best way to watch it.  It blows my mind it is currently out of print and has been for so many years - kind of crazy considering it's such a short OVA.  There have been a lot of reworks and interpretations of this property (in fact this OVA is a rough prequel to the manga) but this is still what I like best.  Simple as the dub music is, it just fits so much better with everything - but that could be nostalgia talking.

Celebrating An Era - 1980's!  Dominion / Dominion Tank Police (1988)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvMOk0oiR7k (ENDING - Dub)

on: April 19, 2021, 10:59:55 PM 
Started by anarchycupcake - Last post by anarchycupcake
Just submitted my application. It won't be quite the same as it is in person, but hopefully I can make it work via Zoom.

on: April 16, 2021, 11:31:49 PM 
Good very late evening old schoolers!

Another random pick this week but one that is a series I very much enjoy.  Galaxy Express 999 is a long series, which can make it seem like it drags a bit here or there for some.  I've always thought that was kind of the point however, as the journey shows what a genuinely screwed up and dark place the galaxy is - and it only gets worse the further Tetsuro and Maetel travel.  Seriously, after awhile I just want to see them catch a break and spend one layover on one calm planet.  The entire series has been released in wonderful quality, subtitled in English, in three box sets and can be purchased currently.  If the runtime is too daunting, an alternate telling of the series is featured as the first Galaxy Express 999 movie - which ran on the Sci-Fi Channel at one point, exposing GE999 to the mainstream during the 90's anime boom.

Celebrating An Era - 1970's!  Galaxy Express 999 (1978)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq-b_iNrQaQ

on: April 12, 2021, 12:57:03 AM 
Started by anarchycupcake - Last post by Angelx624
Yeah, if I had plans to do a panel with friends this year, we likely would not be doing a virtual one.

That being said, I look forward to when we can have in person panels again!

on: April 11, 2021, 03:46:41 PM 
Started by anarchycupcake - Last post by InsaneDavid
so info on panels is now up (the submission form is yet to go up).
So looks like it will be via zoom although you can submit a pre-recorded video.
https://www.fanime.com/panels/?fbclid=IwAR0Bd4K4dPtOmX3l_7FCDpa1x-iSe0NuI-beofl05e7kc-zqPlvlQpr3KU8

Yup... I'm postponing until 2022, just doesn't work for me with a virtual configuration.  Props to Fanime for offering something this year though!

on: April 11, 2021, 02:25:53 PM 
Started by anarchycupcake - Last post by Glitch
so info on panels is now up (the submission form is yet to go up).
So looks like it will be via zoom although you can submit a pre-recorded video.
https://www.fanime.com/panels/?fbclid=IwAR0Bd4K4dPtOmX3l_7FCDpa1x-iSe0NuI-beofl05e7kc-zqPlvlQpr3KU8

on: April 09, 2021, 10:46:06 PM 
Good late evening old schoolers!

A bit of a random pick for this week, a series that began as a strategy RPG / dating sim / visual novel and pretty much exploded into all Japanese media.  The Sakura Taisen TV series is an adaptation of the first video game and is reasonably entertaining - also an accessible place to start if the property looks interesting to you.  Should also be noted that the original 1996 Saturn game has been fan translated fairly recently.

Celebrating An Era - 2000!  Sakura Taisen TV (2000)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71L-EEB7yJE

on: April 05, 2021, 03:44:50 PM 
Started by kscrivani - Last post by kscrivani

Hello everyone! Sorry for the delayed response and thank you for your patience! The last few weeks of school got really busy.

If you are still interested in participation, I've moved the questions to a google survey here so that its easy to access the questions.

As with the other information, this is only accessible by myself and you can remain anonymous on the form as it does not require sign-ins and will not take any information aside from what you put into it. If you have any questions or concerns at all, please e-mail me at kscrivan@uoregon.edu or DM me here!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 30 queries.