solution for sliding bathroom doors!

Started by michiko nakano, March 22, 2010, 09:56:36 PM

michiko nakano

...let's brainstorm one! 

because seriously, almost everyone hates the fact that bathroom privacy is nonexistent at the Marriot.  if we could think of a solution, a lot of people would be much, much happier.

i don't remember the configuration of the door, but i was thinking maybe we could think of a way to rig some sort of locking device from the inside of the bathroom, that would be cool. 

Kyra_Maverick

Bring a sturdy dowel to wedge between the door and the vanity? Something like the security bars used for sliding glass doors?

When I stayed at the Marriott we were all annoyed by it at first, but got over it by the second day. However, if you're in a co-ed room I can see where there could be issues.

michiko nakano

yeah, i'm co-ed... and in my case, if there was a door-opening-at-the-wrong-time thing, i would die.

well you know those things that hold up shower curtains?  you know how they flex to get shorter, though there's resistance that keeps them pushing outward at all times?  maybe that would work, but shorter.

does anyone know or remember the dimensions of the inside of the hotel door, the handle's proximity to the side, etc...

Moonblossom

Could you just get a piece of paper and some tape and make an Occupied sign?

I don't understand why people don't just implement a policy of "For god's sake if the door is closed don't open it!" and leave the door open when the bathroom is empty. But I guess some people might forget? I dunno.

I'm lucky in that generally when I travel, I'm rooming with one friend who I'm very close to. He has walked in on me before and I've walked in on him so at this point neither of us really care XD. Hell, if one of us has to pee in the middle of an interesting conversation we'll leave the door open a crack and yell back and forth.

I can see how it would be really awkward with people you don't know well though.

Dany

Quote from: Moonblossom on March 23, 2010, 11:43:26 AM
Could you just get a piece of paper and some tape and make an Occupied sign?

I don't understand why people don't just implement a policy of "For god's sake if the door is closed don't open it!" and leave the door open when the bathroom is empty. But I guess some people might forget? I dunno.

Or..the old fashioned method I subscribe to.

Step 1: See closed door
Step 2: KNOCK
Step 3: Wait for answer (a few seconds is usually good, or you can knock twice just to be sure)
Step 4a: If there is no answer, enter.
Step 4b: If there is an answer, WAIT.

This worked plenty well when I lived in dorms and I shared a bathroom with an adjacent neighbor, I don't know why it wouldn't work in a hotel situation :)  But if someone needs a visual, I suppose a sign or other pre-agreed indicator can't hurt.  You might even be able to make it something funny if you're creative.

FYI: I would be VERY careful about anything that prevents the door from operating properly. Any damage sustained from the use of such items is traditionally charged onto the occupants (and that stuff is never cheap!).
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Moonblossom

Yeah, there is that too.

If I'm confronted with a closed bathroom door, my first instinct is to knock, not to just barge in unawares.

kyochan

haha, so much common sense in a world full of no sense. xD

thats what i do at my house and my friends' houses... door closed = knock >_>
Mah dead branches will pwn joo! >=D<br /> - Kyochan

Nina Star 9

Get roomies who will respect your privacy and/or be courteous enough to knock?

rude32

Quote from: Moonblossom on March 23, 2010, 01:36:18 PM
Yeah, there is that too.

If I'm confronted with a closed bathroom door, my first instinct is to knock, not to just barge in unawares.
Word. Not only that, but you can see a little crack of light under the door as well, so it's probably a safe bet that someone is in there. I don't know too many people who do things in the bathroom without the lights on, and if they don't turn on a light, then they deserve to have their roomies walk in on them.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

chanocular

Like most of stated, its best to establish a policy. If the light is on, DO NOT OPEN. And when you're done using the bathroom, turn off the lights and leave the door ajar.

We have a co ed rooming situation, so it is utmost important to follow this policy. All of us are adults and I consider us mature (most of the time lol), we've never had any issues with this policy.

However I've heard some people refusing to shower or do anything in there because of the Marriott sliding bathroom doors. Which in these cases, this i what I would do if I had a roommate with this anxiety:

-If you have a roommate who has an anxiety of the possibility that the bathroom door could be opened at anytime, I'd kick everyone out of the room and suggest that the individual bolt door so no one can get in. This way he/she could finish up their business in peace. I know this could be hassle for some, but this is what I'd do.

Luckily I've never ran into this situation.  :)

Dany

Quote from: rude32 on March 23, 2010, 09:53:04 PM
Quote from: Moonblossom on March 23, 2010, 01:36:18 PM
Yeah, there is that too.

Word. Not only that, but you can see a little crack of light under the door as well, so it's probably a safe bet that someone is in there. I don't know too many people who do things in the bathroom without the lights on, and if they don't turn on a light, then they deserve to have their roomies walk in on them.

I have gone to the bathroom with the lights off, mostly because the last thing I want to do is burn my retinas by turning on a bright light :) But that's usually at *mumblemumble* o'clock in the morning.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

elley

Yes, setting up an understanding is the best. I also have co-ed roomies and I've never had any problems. I usually inform anyone in the room that I'm taking a shower and when the door is closed we all know it's occupied. This has worked for me in previous years. It's not very hard, but that's when you have decent roommates, so for some reason you still can't trust your roommates to follow a simple policy, then the question is if you should be staying with them at all.

ichigocorcor

i can't imagine rooming with anyone i can't change/shower in front of, but i guess i just possess less modesty lol.
Third-Year Fanime Panelist~
Team Lift XMA&Pokemon Cafe
Cosplay Plans

Jerry

Quote from: ichigocorcor on April 28, 2010, 08:49:52 AM
i can't imagine rooming with anyone i can't change/shower in front of, but i guess i just possess less modesty lol.

modesty at fanime?

im in a house of all girls and yet, if i wanted to i'd prolly walk around in my boxors... then again my roommates run around in towels or less every now and then too :P

course with a hotel situation might be different but not a situation to be in with 'perfect strangers'
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Elimeno

Quote from: Jerry on April 29, 2010, 09:10:38 AM

modesty at fanime?

im in a house of all girls and yet, if i wanted to i'd prolly walk around in my boxors... then again my roommates run around in towels or less every now and then too :P

course with a hotel situation might be different but not a situation to be in with 'perfect strangers'

>.>

do you live in a harem anime? lol
Know much about purgatory? It's the world we live in now, and Halloween is the day a damned soul in purgatory can be released into heaven, if he prays hard enough. Say your prayers. - Vincent Volaju

Jerry

Quote from: Elimeno on April 29, 2010, 10:23:21 AM

modesty at fanime?

>.>

been doing so for almost a year/ season now... where have you been? LoL

4 girls, myself and under one roof...

i might even get a fifth girl to move in.... T_T  its not like it is in the animes.....
well sometimes it is... and sometimes its not.

Elimeno

Quote from: Jerry on April 29, 2010, 10:25:44 AM

modesty at fanime?

>.>

i might even get a fifth girl to move in.... T_T  its not like it is in the animes.....

what? you mean accidentally tripping and falling onto a towel clad girl isn't a daily occurrence?  You killed my dreams Jerry.
Know much about purgatory? It's the world we live in now, and Halloween is the day a damned soul in purgatory can be released into heaven, if he prays hard enough. Say your prayers. - Vincent Volaju

ichigocorcor

Quote from: Jerry on April 29, 2010, 10:25:44 AM

modesty at fanime?

>.>

Five girls?? you're screwed- talk about constant PMS.
my family's always been very open (we all shared a bathroom for fourteen years... so no alternative haha)
so it's never been a big deal.

Your life definitely sounds like an ai yori aoshi spinoff haha
Third-Year Fanime Panelist~
Team Lift XMA&Pokemon Cafe
Cosplay Plans

Jerry

* last comment - and then back on topic *

that towel tripping thing happened ONCE, thanks to the house hold cat.

course i dunno if a punch to the face was worth being accidentally smothered by a nekkid female roommate was worth it...  ;)

and if i must i guess someday ill start a thread and jokes/anecdotes about my life with a harem of female roommates... but you really cant make this stuff up...

this is my REAL life. :P

okay back on topic.

and ironically I do need to completely renovate an ENTIRE bathroom, and even with a house hold im used too, we're probably gonna get a DOOR - and not a sliding door with a latch.