How come there's still no sign of any guests of honor? D:

Started by xdeath_bunnyx, April 03, 2012, 10:06:48 PM

xdeath_bunnyx

It's already April and there's like a month until fanime and still no gohs = 3 =;;
Is anyone else wondering about this? Last year fanime announced yuya in like february or something D:~

sugarcure

Yeah this has been getting to me. If they have people planned they would know pretty far in advance. Please just let us know already ;-; I really need to plan around the music fest soon if it is a performer I actually want to see.

xdeath_bunnyx

yeah that's exactly what I had in mind
but I'm getting worried what if they can't get someone good this year? ._______."

M

What it comes down to is negotiation and contract signing. Sometimes, it's really fast and sometimes it's really slow. It's not any specific side's fault, but we just ask that you are patient while we complete all of the steps before we announce guests. :)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Kertus

I think people thinking that there currently aren't ANY guests of honor is kind of stupid.

I would be very very surprised if Gilles Poitras and Ric Meyers aren't coming, as they've been coming for years now.  There are also some other guests of honor that usually return every year.  But I suppose most people are wondering about the musical guest or any major different guests from the usual.

But yeah, keep that in mind as well.
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

DrScorpio

I dont think people are stupid enough to think that Fanimecon wont be getting any guests.

I would like to know which guests are coming though because that determines whether or not I will be attending Fanimecon. I assume this also applies to attendees who live far away since if they need to plan for a plane ticket and hotels, they kinda want to know what they are getting into first.

Gigantor

I really don't think many people would think there wouldn't be guests of honor, as it is a major facet of any convention. I think some people may just be wondering since Fanime hasn't made many public announcements regarding the guests and some people do get worried that in the end they might not like anyone who shows up and may feel bitter about getting a pass when they had different expectations based on previous years.

I have a lot of faith that the planning going on behind the scenes by Fanime is going to have quite an impressive lineup as always and I am eagerly awaiting to find out who will be there this year. ^^;

M

Quote from: Kertus on April 05, 2012, 09:50:21 AM
I think people thinking that there currently aren't ANY guests of honor is kind of stupid.

I would be very very surprised if Gilles Poitras and Ric Meyers aren't coming, as they've been coming for years now.  There are also some other guests of honor that usually return every year.  But I suppose most people are wondering about the musical guest or any major different guests from the usual.

But yeah, keep that in mind as well.
I don't think it's stupid to be curious, concerns, etc. Really, we don't have any guests until we've confirmed it (by releasing a press release and updating our website).

Quote from: Gigantor on April 06, 2012, 01:01:17 AM
I really don't think many people would think there wouldn't be guests of honor, as it is a major facet of any convention. I think some people may just be wondering since Fanime hasn't made many public announcements regarding the guests and some people do get worried that in the end they might not like anyone who shows up and may feel bitter about getting a pass when they had different expectations based on previous years.

I have a lot of faith that the planning going on behind the scenes by Fanime is going to have quite an impressive lineup as always and I am eagerly awaiting to find out who will be there this year. ^^;
We always plan on announcing our guests ASAP... As someone that's behind the scenes enough to receive the information well in advance, I can say that our GR department is working hard to ensure that everything is ready to announce our guests. =P

Freeden

I've also been very, very curious. The thing that puzzles me most is that Fanime would appear big enough to have nailed down at least a few guests a bit ahead of time. I'm not going to pretend to know the inner workings of Fanime, but, and I hate to compare to other cons, AX already has one musical guest lined up and AM2, which just started last year already has several guests listed. And both these cons come after Fanime. I think the biggest worry for me is that, when I don't see anything listed, it says trouble in getting guests to come. The musicfest is huge for me and with artists like LMC, Flow, and Yuya coming, I think expectations are a bit higher for who Fanime brings. So, when I don't see anyone listed, I worry that trouble is ahead. I don't know how things run, but I'd just like to know that I have some guests, specifically musicfest guests, to look forward to come Fanime. Topping Flow as a musical guest will be a difficult task, but I hope to be surprised.

M

Quote from: Freeden on April 06, 2012, 03:07:29 AMI've also been very, very curious. The thing that puzzles me most is that Fanime would appear big enough to have nailed down at least a few guests a bit ahead of time. I'm not going to pretend to know the inner workings of Fanime, but, and I hate to compare to other cons, AX already has one musical guest lined up and AM2, which just started last year already has several guests listed. And both these cons come after Fanime. I think the biggest worry for me is that, when I don't see anything listed, it says trouble in getting guests to come. The musicfest is huge for me and with artists like LMC, Flow, and Yuya coming, I think expectations are a bit higher for who Fanime brings. So, when I don't see anyone listed, I worry that trouble is ahead. I don't know how things run, but I'd just like to know that I have some guests, specifically musicfest guests, to look forward to come Fanime. Topping Flow as a musical guest will be a difficult task, but I hope to be surprised.
Expectations are always high, regardless of who our previous guests are. ;)

Mango Bunny

I'm in the position where I have to campaign for time off work. I have to tell you, It'd be a lot easier to do so if I knew more about the happenings of fanime. I'm worried I'll miss something! If I had missed Yoshiki last year I would have done nothing but sob uncontrollably all day at work in the most immature showing I could muster.

It's also making my stomach tumble! I need to know!

Freeden

Quote from: MPLe on April 06, 2012, 03:54:24 AM
Quote from: Freeden on April 06, 2012, 03:07:29 AMI've also been very, very curious. The thing that puzzles me most is that Fanime would appear big enough to have nailed down at least a few guests a bit ahead of time. I'm not going to pretend to know the inner workings of Fanime, but, and I hate to compare to other cons, AX already has one musical guest lined up and AM2, which just started last year already has several guests listed. And both these cons come after Fanime. I think the biggest worry for me is that, when I don't see anything listed, it says trouble in getting guests to come. The musicfest is huge for me and with artists like LMC, Flow, and Yuya coming, I think expectations are a bit higher for who Fanime brings. So, when I don't see anyone listed, I worry that trouble is ahead. I don't know how things run, but I'd just like to know that I have some guests, specifically musicfest guests, to look forward to come Fanime. Topping Flow as a musical guest will be a difficult task, but I hope to be surprised.
Expectations are always high, regardless of who our previous guests are. ;)

Agreed, but the main point I was making was that Fanime has grown, and so have expectations. It's only been in the last several years that Fanime has been bringing huge musical acts. On top of this is the increase in attendance, which is also increasing year after year. It just seems slightly odd to me that Fanime wouldn't have booked any guests at all by now, and if they have, wouldn't have announced anyone.

M

Quote from: Freeden on April 07, 2012, 12:27:15 AMAgreed, but the main point I was making was that Fanime has grown, and so have expectations. It's only been in the last several years that Fanime has been bringing huge musical acts. On top of this is the increase in attendance, which is also increasing year after year. It just seems slightly odd to me that Fanime wouldn't have booked any guests at all by now, and if they have, wouldn't have announced anyone.
Oh, I absolutely agree. I have to say that we (we = Marketing) are working on press releases that are looking to go out next week unless some major change happens (can't rule that out).

Eri Kagami

As someone who has covered Fanime Con for the past couple of years, this also concerns me too. Usually, by this time, we would hear of domestic / stateside guests.

Please keep us posted, Fanime!

Zero_Kirby

Touya no Miko

I will put my faith into Fanime. They've pulled through with guest many times before. In my opinion, announcing the guests late is a little better than sooner. If Fanime were to get someone really big again, you'd bet that there would be a 10000+ increase of attendees coming to see ONLY that guest. Such as when An Cafe came in 2008. Fanime gets bigger every year and our usual convention building isn't going to house everyone for much longer. So I'm perfectly fine with it, but remember Fanime has way more to offer than just Guest of Honor.
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

Angelx624

Quote from: MPLe on April 07, 2012, 01:11:44 AM
Quote from: Freeden on April 07, 2012, 12:27:15 AMAgreed, but the main point I was making was that Fanime has grown, and so have expectations. It's only been in the last several years that Fanime has been bringing huge musical acts. On top of this is the increase in attendance, which is also increasing year after year. It just seems slightly odd to me that Fanime wouldn't have booked any guests at all by now, and if they have, wouldn't have announced anyone.
Oh, I absolutely agree. I have to say that we (we = Marketing) are working on press releases that are looking to go out next week unless some major change happens (can't rule that out).
So...... does this mean we can finally expect a guest to be announced this week?
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

M

Angelx624

(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)