Wisdom Teeth

Started by BrightHeart76, June 05, 2008, 11:06:33 AM

G.I.R

If you're not taking any prescription meds, try Ny-quil (the taste alone will distract you from the pain.  JK).  I had a dentist recommend that when I had an infected tooth.

Squeeky_Moonkin

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on June 05, 2008, 11:06:33 AM
I just had all 4 wisdom teeth removed about two hours ago.  My whole head hurts and I can't feel most of my mouth.  I really hate my dentist right about now.  And I know it'll be worse once the numbing wears off.

Any advice or words of encouragement?  I just feel really lousy right now.   :'(

I work in the dental field and help assist on extractions all the time. First of did he prescribe you anything. As a courtesy in our office we send patents home with 3 meds who have had any type f extraction done:

1. Loratab or some sort of pain pill they can cope with the pain
2. An antibiotic to help keep the risk of infection down
3. A steroid. no this wont give you muscles, but will keep the swelling down

make sure to use an ice pack of and on for 10 mins. Best thing to do is sleep. Best thing to eat or drink in this case will be Ensurre. Its quite filling and you wont loose as much nutrition form the lack of solid foods. I'm sure they told you this but whatever you do, do not spit or swish or you'll be in a  world of pain from whats call a dry socket.

pm me if you have any other questions. been in the dental field for about 3 years now.

G.I.R

^^^  I'd listen to her.  ^^^

Lactose

and im telling you, sorbet did wonders for me. =)
ensure's not a bad idea either, but don't drink it through a straw.
Lactose = Liz

JTchinoy

well i'm scared now.  my 1 wisdom tooth is starting to bug me a little so it's almost time for me to have it yanked. :(

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

XpHoBiaX

Quote from: Squeeky_Moonkin on June 07, 2008, 12:26:18 PM

I work in the dental field and help assist on extractions all the time. First of did he prescribe you anything. As a courtesy in our office we send patents home with 3 meds who have had any type f extraction done:

1. Loratab or some sort of pain pill they can cope with the pain
2. An antibiotic to help keep the risk of infection down
3. A steroid. no this wont give you muscles, but will keep the swelling down

make sure to use an ice pack of and on for 10 mins. Best thing to do is sleep. Best thing to eat or drink in this case will be Ensurre. Its quite filling and you wont loose as much nutrition form the lack of solid foods. I'm sure they told you this but whatever you do, do not spit or swish or you'll be in a  world of pain from whats call a dry socket.

pm me if you have any other questions. been in the dental field for about 3 years now.

Courtesy? Where are you?! I will be delighted to visit your office!
I was fully concious for my extractions, the guy litterally used his weight aginst my jaw to take out the teeth. I had to stop them so I could sit up right in the chair, becuase the hammering and pounding and the "lets lean on this metal rod thing to get the tooth out' routine was pushing me off the chair. And before all that, I got like 12 shots in the jaw.  I loathe needles with a passion.

But I guess that is what I get for only being able to afford Medical.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Squeeky_Moonkin

Courtesy? Where are you?! I will be delighted to visit your office!
I was fully concious for my extractions, the guy litterally used his weight aginst my jaw to take out the teeth. I had to stop them so I could sit up right in the chair, becuase the hammering and pounding and the "lets lean on this metal rod thing to get the tooth out' routine was pushing me off the chair. And before all that, I got like 12 shots in the jaw.  I loathe needles with a passion.

But I guess that is what I get for only being able to afford Medical.
[/quote]

I work in Utah. The 2 out of the 3 doctors I work with love extractions and do grade A work. Both are general dentist and not oral surgeons, and we do not have an anesthesiologist in our office, so you are wake during the procedure. It is normal to feel pressure during an extraction, NOT PAIN. 12 carpules may seem like  a lot, but depends on how much your doctor dispensed on what side it was delivered to and what type of anesthetic he delivered. Weight is also an issue on the # of carpules the body can handle. Did your doctor even offere you nitrous? thats always a lovely plus if you like it.

Personally even though my docs are great, I still think if you have the insurance or money its always best to have wisdom teeth out by an oral surgeon and it is nice to be out cold for the procedure. One of the docs I work with, thats all he did when he had a practice in San Fran...nothing but extractions and diagnosing, Guys got an eagle eye for tooth decay. it's unbelievable. The other is just really good at what he does and babies his patients a lot. The third rather see an oral surgeon do any extraction possibilities that walk into his chair.

Squeeky_Moonkin

Quote from: JTchinoy on June 07, 2008, 06:31:56 PM
well i'm scared now.  my 1 wisdom tooth is starting to bug me a little so it's almost time for me to have it yanked. :(

Don't be scared. wisdom teeth extractions are a lot worse then what they are made out to be, so are rot canals. Your best bet is to look around for a good dentist or oral surgeon. Get feed back from friends, family  co workers. call up offices and and ask what sort of history the doctor has with extractions. If you have x-rays done at an office to help the doctor assist in diagnosing the sort of extraction it will be, ask the office for a copy of the film taken so if you want to try somewhere else, you don't have to pay for a new film. Any office should be able to abide  by this. If they say no, their feeding you bs.

extractions vary case by case and by that...so do prices. You have:

routine extraction
soft tissue extraction
Partial boney extraction (which is what he one tooth are friend dealt with when bone came out)
Residual tooth root extraction (mainly seen in elderly)

JTchinoy

they're WORSE than they're made out to be? cuz people make the next 2-3 days after to be utter shit.

according to my x-rays from roughly 1 year ago, it's a rootless wisdom tooth.  i don't know how fast roots grow but as of july last year, it was just a tooth.  i saw it not really lodged on my jaw like my left wisdom tooth is (snugly situated right on my upper jaw) so i was concerned it may fall one day, and look! it's here! i hope it's rootless still.

my brother had all of his wisdom teeth taken out at once at our dentist (been with this place since i was... 2nd grade?) and he did ok, minus all the drooling he did in my car when i picked him up.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

BrightHeart76

@ JTchinoy
Speaking for myself.  It hasn't been as bad as I feared.  A bit of pain, but Ibuprofen and ice have helped a lot with that.  My dentist was very reasuring during the process and that helped.  The main thing I wasn't expecting was the massive head ache that I got after the extractions.  Just make sure you have an ice pack, safe food (ensure as Squeeky_Moonkin said), LOTS of time to rest and if you're luckier than me someone to take care of you while you heal.  Oh yeah, and don't let them make you leave until they give you pain meds...trust me you'll want those.   :P
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

mDuo13

... I still have all my wisdom teeth. I'm hoping to God that I never have to have them removed.

Yuu

I've never had mine out.
It's ironic really, physically I'm screwed up by..incredibly rare circumstances, but I've never had any of the common problems that healthy people do ( ie  tonsillitis, appendicitis, severe allergies, or problems with my wisdom teeth)

I was SUPPOSED to have them removed to qualify for a kidney transplant but I refused.
A lot of it was because there is nothing wrong with them, but also because I'm terrified of Dentists.

I'll walk away from major surgery, laugh my ass off from severe bleeding and make light of nearly dying, but when it comes to the dentist I turn into a big sulky baby.
I've even scheduled back surgery to avoid getting my teeth cleaned.

Squeeky_Moonkin

Quote from: JTchinoy on June 08, 2008, 03:41:23 AM

according to my x-rays from roughly 1 year ago, it's a rootless wisdom tooth.  i don't know how fast roots grow but as of july last year, it was just a tooth. 

If I recall correctly from school (don't have to go to school for what I do out in Utah...did anyways), thats known as the "bell stage" you can look up the process/stages of tooth development online easily. Yes wisdom teeth in that stage normally are not extracted, but what is lovely and easy on the pt is when they have "ice cream con roots" the roots haven't or don't branch out and stay close to each other and in the shape of a cone.

Squeeky_Moonkin

Quote from: Yuu on June 08, 2008, 11:46:10 AM
  I've never had mine out.
It's ironic really, physically I'm screwed up by..incredibly rare circumstances, but I've never had any of the common problems that healthy people do ( ie  tonsillitis, appendicitis, severe allergies, or problems with my wisdom teeth)

I was SUPPOSED to have them removed to qualify for a kidney transplant but I refused.
A lot of it was because there is nothing wrong with them, but also because I'm terrified of Dentists.

I'll walk away from major surgery, laugh my ass off from severe bleeding and make light of nearly dying, but when it comes to the dentist I turn into a big sulky baby.

If you are superbly scared but are willing to go, some offices will give you a script for something to relax you before coming in. You just need a driver, since you cant drive yourself under the influence of the durg prescribed.

XpHoBiaX

...but when it comes to the dentist I turn into a big sulky baby.

Don't worry, I am right with you on that one.

Squeeky_Moonkin :

Like I said, I have crappy insurance. I would have loved to be knocked out cold. Also, it may have looked a lot like an exageration, what I had typed. But it is all true. My teeth were impacted...and the guy never once talked to me, nor treated me like I was a person. It was like being in a military....I believe that was probably why he was the way he was. @_@ I had to drive to walgreens to get my meds. I was so clueless what I needed, and when the numbness wore off I had to sit for 30 mins in pain while I waited for the Rx to be filled. @_@

Now, this is just my case. I highly doubt anyone with like, kaiser, cigna or some other quality insurance would be subjected to what I went through. Like I said, I had county aide...in a small back water county that doesn't really have anything.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Yuu

Quote from: Squeeky_Moonkin on June 08, 2008, 12:08:09 PM
  I've never had mine out.
It's ironic really, physically I'm screwed up by..incredibly rare circumstances, but I've never had any of the common problems that healthy people do ( ie  tonsillitis, appendicitis, severe allergies, or problems with my wisdom teeth)

If you are superbly scared but are willing to go, some offices will give you a script for something to relax you before coming in. You just need a driver, since you cant drive yourself under the influence of the durg prescribed.

I'm not exactly WILLING to go.
Another reason I hate going to the Dentist are the Hygenists.
They are paid to clean my teeth and then get the hell out so the Dentist can do their job.
Not stand around and lecture me like I'm a little girl. I'm suprised they haven't prescribed  " sitting in the corner for an hour and no dinner before bed"

However i suppose I DO have to have go eventually. I have asked about getting some 'drugs' before hand but apparently that's reserved for those with exceptional insurance. I HATE being knocked out anyway. I always refuse for minor surgery.

Soo..I guess what I'm saying is that no matter how incredibly reasonable your suggestions are I'm just too stubborn. 
I appreciate it none the less.

Squeeky_Moonkin

The best thing you can do  then is just make sure to floss and brush your teeth and gums. keep up with this and you'll be fine ^_^. And ya some hygienist literally do run when the doc comes in. Normally by request  of the doctor.

Yuu

Quote from: Squeeky_Moonkin on June 09, 2008, 05:23:04 PM
just make sure to floss and brush your teeth and gums. keep up with this and you'll be fine

HA!  That's what I keep saying to people who insist I HAVE to go to the dentist regularly.

Now I have it in ..typing..from someone who knows what they're talking about. Thank you. XD

Emerge

man, i don't feel too reassured by any of these stories...especially considering my wisdom tooth surgery is some time in the next few weeks.

Squeeky_Moonkin

Quote from: Emerge on June 09, 2008, 07:18:39 PM
man, i don't feel too reassured by any of these stories...especially considering my wisdom tooth surgery is some time in the next few weeks.
I'm sure you'll be fine..there arnt too many true horror stories of extractions at the dental office...