Plan: 21+ Meet & Greet

Started by echoshadow, February 05, 2013, 06:51:21 AM

clickclackbang

I'm over 21 but don't drink :(

mr.shikinami

AuroraDreamer

Quote from: clickclackbang on March 28, 2013, 04:41:11 PM
If you want you could come hang out. If I remember right we were thinking of going to pizza one night :)

mr.shikinami

Quote from: AuroraDreamer on March 31, 2013, 02:06:29 PM
If you want you could come hang out. If I remember right we were thinking of going to pizza one night :)

That sounds nice. I don't drink either.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: mr.shikinami on March 31, 2013, 03:25:39 PM
Quote from: AuroraDreamer on March 31, 2013, 02:06:29 PM
That sounds nice. I don't drink either.
Both of you can have iced tea :]

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

mr.shikinami

Yeah, I'd enjoy an Anime gathering over iced tea! Who's in??

Jesse Uppercut

This sounds interesting and while living in downtown San Jose for some time, I have become familiar with most of these places. I can offer some feedback:

1. Dive Bar
- The crowds are "eclectic" to say the least but I will admit the only time I've ever visited, the atmosphere was a bit "dark." Music is fairly loud when the DJ is playing, so unless you plan on yelling, conversations may be limited. Basic Bar and stool setup with some tables.

2. Tanq in Marriott
- This place is located right in the Lobby area of the Marriot, slightly smaller than most others but the Bar area is surrounded by big open areas of glass that expose the outside area, making it look larger. It has some lounge style seats in the corner rear area and the music is a standard top 40 mix of mashups and remixes. This is going to be the place where most Con Attendees of drinking age (who drink) will be. Its comfortable, convenient (located right in the Con) and The Fish Bowl (also known as the "Kiss The Fish" drink) is a fun 2 or more drink that you can share with multiple people.

3. San Jose Bar & Grill
- Great place to go on a Friday or Saturday night if youre looking for a lively crowd. Sports oriented most nights with the big screens playing the game or fight of choice. There is a small dance floor and on Fridays and Saturdays the DJ is usually spinning top 40. A bit of a walk from the convention center but a little loud for conversations and introductions.

4. South First Billiards
- If youre looking for a very relaxing night shooting pool and neandering around, this isn't a bad spot. Music is on a Jukebox most of the time and the drinks are simple, its more of a Beer option in my opinion. A bit of a walk as well with a more "mature" atmosphere.

5. 4th St Pizza
- A mainstream eatery if you will and sports oriented for the most part. A basic pizza joint for college kids looking for beer pong and basic convo. Not a bad choice if you dont mind the walk.

6. Gordon Biersch
- As the name infers, they do serve alcohol but it's definitely a Brewery and Restaraunt combo. Good for sit downs and dining with a beer but it's not what I would consider "lively for youths."

7. Flames Eatery & Bar
- Flames is definitely a place to check out if youre looking for a active social atmosphere coupled with food and an array of acoholic options. It is a sit down style restaraunt but it does have a bar. Music is usually fairly loud even though it is a restaraunt but not too bad. Alot of party kids preparing for the club usually or looking to hang out before the next event in the evening. Younger crowd, usually College kids. No dress code but you may find a few people dressed up in preparation for a night on the town.

8. Los Gatos Brewing Co.
- Like Gordon Biersch but they're hometown heroes, restaraunt/brewery combo. A bit far for my taste if your looking for a bar. It's okay but if you're looking for shots and a party atmosphere, this isnt the place.

9. Lounge in The Fairmont
- I've had a drink here before but it's kind of expensive because they're catering to travelers and looking to maintain an "upscale" image. Even during Con season, it's less than lively for the younger crowd but can still be cool to try out. For what you are looking to accomplish with this meetup, I would'nt recommend it as a first choice but maybe "Plan C."

There you have it but these are only my personal opinions and observations. Everyone is different and some of these places may be right up some of your alleys but I tried to keep things in a general review style format. My personal choice would be "Tanq" in the Marriott based on its location, atmosphere and selection.

I don't know if I can make this event but it looks like you guys are getting a pretty decent crowd. I'm sure it will be fun!
Follow your dreams, work hard, practice and persevere.

ephshi

I'd be totes in - depending on the size of the group, I'd also suggest Singlebarrel for drinks, even if it's really pricey (10-12/drink), I think it's absolutely worth it.  Unfortunately, max group size is 6 people, and it's more of a speakeasy rather than a dive/sports bar.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: ephshi on April 04, 2013, 12:28:04 AM
I'd be totes in - depending on the size of the group, I'd also suggest Singlebarrel for drinks, even if it's really pricey (10-12/drink), I think it's absolutely worth it.  Unfortunately, max group size is 6 people, and it's more of a speakeasy rather than a dive/sports bar.
I'm pretty sure money is a big factor for most of us...

mr.shikinami

Wow, thanks for your wonderful research! I'll show up wherever you guys agree upon. Thanks again!

echoshadow

Alright, seeing as I have more time, (busy planing/attending Anime Conji) I added a poll to the first post.

Vote for which bar we should have the m&g at.

@Jesse Uppercut, thanks soo much that really does help out.

Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

short_storiesgl

Oh man I would love too do this!!!
Sadly I will be staffing nights ;-;
Dance Staff Second

Lucifargundam

Quote from: short_storiesgl on April 15, 2013, 05:39:14 PM
Oh man I would love too do this!!!
Sadly I will be staffing nights ;-;
try to switch places with someone for 1 hr? ;_;

echoshadow

Lol well you could join us when you take your "lunch" brake.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Lucifargundam

So what's everyone's top 3 picks? Mine's The Dive, 4th St Pizza and Tanq.

I went to Gordon Biersch last week but didnt stay- food is too much for my wallet. It's also very quiet.

mr.shikinami

Doesn't really matter much to me where we meet as long as it's with nice people. Still, my top 3 would be Tanq, 4th Street Pizza or Gordon Biersch, in that order.

Kpmonkeygirl

My top 3 are Flames Eatery & Bar, San Jose Bar & Grill, and 4th St Pizza.
""To move is to stir, and to be valiant is to stand; therefore,
if tou art mov'd, thou runst away."

short_storiesgl

Hmm  I might possibly be able to do that!!!

I hadn't thought about doing that because I usually don't take lunches~
Dance Staff Second

princesskitty18

looks like things are coming together nicely
sorry echo for not really being much help XD
i did ask a couple of my sanjo friends but they dont go out that often hahaha
and ive been super busy wit graduation and family issues and watnot

im glad that someone was able to do the research (shoutouts to jesse uppercut)
im down for almost whatever. ive done a lot of walking so distance doesn't bother me too much XD
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

tinyhotdog

Hey all :) I'd love to greet & meet you guys at Tanq or Flames.