Are you HYPED?!

Started by MomPacksMyLunch, April 30, 2014, 05:36:52 PM

fr33lanc3r

Quote from: Tetsuo on April 30, 2014, 06:17:30 PM
In my opinion...

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Everything else though, the new venue, the cosplayers, pretty much everything else other than
... I'm pretty goddamn hype for.

I agree with your opinion.

TL;DR:
Not really hyped these past few years

Dracil

Sure it's hard, but if all the other major cons outside of California can do it what is Fanime/AX's excuses?

keitoghostie

I'd assume some of it is due to Memorial Day Weekend being a popular time for conventions (there are 9 others going on not including Fanime), some of which may be quicker to grab up or have more resources (whether it be monetary or based on the quantity/quality of international relations bookers) to book high-ticket guests.

From what I can see, Fanime WAS late when it came to booking guests (i.e. still soliciting suggestions for guests even in January)
I generally don't hit up MusicFest but from what I can see on here, this is the point of most dissent.
No disrespect, but I really think the process should start WAY earlier - comb through previous suggestions lists and choose artists that are mentioned more than once, and if they're prolific that's a huge plus! Artists who have worked on many many series are sure to have a number of excited fans.

Start early, book a "headliner" (musical guest or otherwise), announce them early (like December/January, February at the latest) = happy and relieved Fanime attendees PLUS I'm sure it would bring in new attendees due to hype.

That's just what I would hope would happen and it's understandable if that's not entirely realistic, but I think a lot of people feel the same way!

Nina Star 9

I don't really go to cons for the guests (unless there happens to be someone really cool who is related to something I'm interested in), but I can understand all the disappointment. Looking over the guest list, it feels like these are guests that someone can see at a smaller convention, or that have been at many previous Fanimecons. With the size of this con (I am also interested in knowing where the budget is going), it seems like there should be guests that would get people (maybe even someone like me!) excited. I don't know if it is a budget issue, or a management issue, or a time issue, or a legal issue, or some other issue entirely, but whatever the problem is, it needs to be fixed. It's a bit sad when even small, one-day cons have bigger guests (or even bigger guest lists!) than one of the largest cons in California (the nation? Fanime is what, #5 or so now?).

It feels like at this point, this con is relying on its reputation (which is quickly going south) and its size instead of working on making itself the best con it can be, not just guest-wise, but overall.

melancholyfox

Quote from: keitoghostie on May 05, 2014, 12:20:09 PM
I'd assume some of it is due to Memorial Day Weekend being a popular time for conventions (there are 9 others going on not including Fanime), some of which may be quicker to grab up or have more resources (whether it be monetary or based on the quantity/quality of international relations bookers) to book high-ticket guests.

From what I can see, Fanime WAS late when it came to booking guests (i.e. still soliciting suggestions for guests even in January)
I generally don't hit up MusicFest but from what I can see on here, this is the point of most dissent.
No disrespect, but I really think the process should start WAY earlier - comb through previous suggestions lists and choose artists that are mentioned more than once, and if they're prolific that's a huge plus! Artists who have worked on many many series are sure to have a number of excited fans.

Start early, book a "headliner" (musical guest or otherwise), announce them early (like December/January, February at the latest) = happy and relieved Fanime attendees PLUS I'm sure it would bring in new attendees due to hype.

That's just what I would hope would happen and it's understandable if that's not entirely realistic, but I think a lot of people feel the same way!

I completely agree with you. It seems to me like most other cons get a much earlier start on reserving guests. I've seen SacAnime constantly updating their guest list for several months and they have a great lineup and their con is in August; on top of that, they have more than one con a year! A summer and a winter! And they consistently get great guests! Anime Expo similarly gets started very quickly every year and that con is CHEAPER now that Fanime is boosting their prices so much.

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 05, 2014, 03:04:34 PM
I don't really go to cons for the guests (unless there happens to be someone really cool who is related to something I'm interested in), but I can understand all the disappointment. Looking over the guest list, it feels like these are guests that someone can see at a smaller convention, or that have been at many previous Fanimecons. With the size of this con (I am also interested in knowing where the budget is going), it seems like there should be guests that would get people (maybe even someone like me!) excited. I don't know if it is a budget issue, or a management issue, or a time issue, or a legal issue, or some other issue entirely, but whatever the problem is, it needs to be fixed. It's a bit sad when even small, one-day cons have bigger guests (or even bigger guest lists!) than one of the largest cons in California (the nation? Fanime is what, #5 or so now?).

It feels like at this point, this con is relying on its reputation (which is quickly going south) and its size instead of working on making itself the best con it can be, not just guest-wise, but overall.

I agree that the guests really ought to be a bit better as the con grows. I mean, one of this year's Fanime guests was at the VERY FIRST Stocktoncon a couple years ago so he can't be all that hard to get and isn't much to anticipate in my opinion.

Jesse Uppercut

I can honestly say I am hyped for this year's Fanime! I understand there may be a lack of desired Guests however in my opinion I believe this convention is more than that. I've always felt that Fanime was a gathering of like minded masses with similar interests, who come together to share in the love for those interests through social interaction!

It's like a giant hang out where you can attend a panel on how to style wigs and learn that person next to you was having trouble designing the same type of spikes you were and where you can sing your heart out during open karaoke with your Friends without public criticism, even if you feel like you suck! You can dance the night away with your friends to the sounds of great DJs and gather in amazement at the hard work and effort put in by some spectacular Cosplay at the Masquerade. Maybe you'll find yourself in a Room Party laughing about the good times you've had or if you're like me, and can never sleep, the conversations to be had with a complete stranger at 3am in front of the Arcade, over which Gundam series really did it for you, it's all priceless.

I think the amalgam of these experiences really make the convention for me and by no means am I saying that no one else here has not considered these alternatives or that these options are an excuse for circumstance but the camaraderie I feel during those 4 days in May is like nothing else and it keeps me coming back year after year and Ive been attending since the Santa Clara Convention Center in 2003 however I may be showing my age now, haha. I'm sure in time everyone's concerns will be heard and action will be taken but in the mean time, I'm sure you'll create positive experiences to remember!
Follow your dreams, work hard, practice and persevere.

Dracil

The thing is that you can do that at pretty much any other anime con.  What generally sets anime conventions apart are the guests.  And if a con continuously fails to deliver on that aspect, well, then it will just disappear into being just another faceless local con that depends on attendees making their own fun.  That's fine, but I may as well go to SacAnime or some other non-anime con instead, especially as the prices keep going up.

Currently, the only thing left that's actually unique to Fanime is the 24 hour access, and the Fanimaid performances.

kirariken

incase anyone is curious (like i was)... here is a super rough Guesstimate at the cost of the convention center's cost of rental only...aka a WAG.

according to San Jose Convention Center & Team San Jose Benchmarking Analysis performed by CSL International
on September 20, 2012 (first thing i found on google)...our convention center costs  from 21 cents up to 42 cents depending on the which space we rent at 550,000 sq. ft and lets tack on 5% for escalation. just once, cause its out of date by 2 years and normally you can see ~3% per year in my industry.

121,275 to 242,550 is a range we can play with. Now, out of laziness and not wanting to dig too much, lets just go with 181,912. Now continuing with more assumptions, we lease the place out for 5 days and we get to 909,562. wow! that a lot of $$$  for just the rental space alone (just the SJCC). But this doesnt include things that we need to pay for including but not limited to; signage, medical staff, Union staff, security staff, electricity, water coolers, our beloved AC. Looks like the costs are just adding up!

I would love to get my hands on the finance books to see how much things really cost and start looking for inefficiencies, but thats not my department. I sit around the asian film room and show ya'll some hopefully amusing films.

Disclaimer: all this info is based on standard knowledge of renting commercial space, a bit of google, and a calculator.

EDIT: There are a ton of assumptions. ie) no discounts, price is by day not by hour (which is probably a very bad thing to assume) and a whole lot more.
Video Programming

EJAY420

GIGANTIC   GIGANTIC  GIGANTIC A BIG BIG LUG!
Most Impressive.

Freeden

I've been excited in the past, but as I've seen the con slip in the past 2 years, not so excited this year. I AM hugely, massively excited for Home Made, who I've wanted to see for years. But besides that, it's a fairly meh to me this year. The guest list is small, a lot of friends I have that normally go to Fanime are only going to AX this year, and I can't really justify spending $75 (increased from last year) for a weekend in which we are getting less than what we've had in past years. I am always at least a little excited for Fanime because of all the cosplayers and the spirit of the whole thing, but this year I think I am saving most of my excitement for AX. Hoping that next year will bring back that 2010-11 level of con that Fanime had.

FanFicGuru

I am hyped! I went to AX last year and had a great time, but the convention isn't about guests to me. It's about video programming, AMVs and hanging out with my friends as we peruse the dealers hall.

It's going to be awesome.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

kookiekween99

After today's staff meeting, I'm definitely hyped! :D
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

EJAY420

Most Impressive.

RandR

On a scale of 1-10 on how hyped I am.

Firefury Amahira

Quote from: RandR on May 18, 2014, 09:33:44 PM

Heh, that reminds me, I need to remember to pack mine.  :P I mean, basically the only reason I got the damn thing was to wear it at cons!  ;D
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

abcbadcat

Quote from: Firefury Amahira on May 19, 2014, 11:07:26 AM

Heh, that reminds me, I need to remember to pack mine.  :P I mean, basically the only reason I got the damn thing was to wear it at cons!  ;D
DBZ Scouter? Where did you buy it and how much?

I want one :B

Firefury Amahira

Quote from: abcbadcat on May 19, 2014, 01:20:08 PM
Quote from: Firefury Amahira on May 19, 2014, 11:07:26 AM

DBZ Scouter? Where did you buy it and how much?

I want one :B
Otakon Vegas dealer's hall, about $15. I'm pretty sure at least one vendor at Fanime will have 'em too. XD
--

abcbadcat

I'm in need of one, for a costume too of course. Just worried they're too small for an adult sized head

Firefury Amahira

Quote from: abcbadcat on May 19, 2014, 01:43:42 PM
I'm in need of one, for a costume too of course. Just worried they're too small for an adult sized head
Eh, it can be a little awkward to finagle it comfortably, but I was able to get it on without much trouble or discomfort. On the bright side, the headband is actually a separate piece, so you could probably modify it or cook up a replacement to fit better. They're reasonably show-accurate in appearance too, with sound effects!  ;D
--

otakuya

Saw the hype train go by on Highway 87 today