Other conventions?

Started by protocol7, June 04, 2008, 10:30:11 AM

protocol7

Anyone hitting up other conventions this year?
Maybe we can get some mini-fanime gatherings going.

My plans are looking like Anime Expo(Just because its local and after 10 years of attending I want to see it fall..), Penny Arcade Expo, and Oni-con
FanimeCons resident zombie.
*I* MADE this happen!

Glitch

Other conventions? Wait, you mean there are other places besides fanime?

OniCourseMusha

Can you show up at Yaoi-con?  Cuz that's like my next con to check out.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

protocol7

Quote from: OniCourseMusha on June 04, 2008, 11:14:14 AM
Can you show up at Yaoi-con?  Cuz that's like my next con to check out.

Oh no.. Not again! Haha Was at Yaoi-con 2 and 3.. It's in September now I see, maybe I'll look into it :)
*I* MADE this happen!

blancoisma

If everything works out, I'll be heading to Georgia for Anime Weekend Atlanta. At work, you have to schedule all of your vacation time months and months in advance, and since I'm low on the seniority list, I had to really look around for other conventions that I could attend that worked around others vacation. So, AWA was the only one that worked out XD

So, if anybody else is headed that direction, I'll be seeing ya there!
"Well, I'm already going to hell for kissing you so I may as well take the scenic route."

-Aaron Davis, Latter Days

questionette

Sac-anime is pretty soon I think~~

Jun-Watarase

Going to AX in July and Otakon in August to see JAM Project. o/

Aside from that, don't normally show up to small cons, anymore. Anyone I'd want to see there I already see outside of cons.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: questionette on June 04, 2008, 01:08:04 PM
Sac-anime is pretty soon I think~~

It's Labor Day weekend. Sac-Con happens this month I think, but i'm not going.I was going to go to AX, but it's also not worth it, so I guess for me, the next major con will be Y-Con, but i'm still up in the air if I show up for one day, just to hang out
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

protocol7

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on June 04, 2008, 01:19:02 PM
Going to AX in July and Otakon in August to see JAM Project. o/

Aside from that, don't normally show up to small cons, anymore. Anyone I'd want to see there I already see outside of cons.

Glad to know I won't be the only one at AX :)
*I* MADE this happen!

SOawesomeness

Sac-Con is too far for me... D: So is anything past San Jose/San Francisco, pretty much. >.>
I want to see the Kin-Yoobi Con in Hayward during August, I heard about it a few months ago...
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

questionette

I heard that AX isn't much fun as fanime because the people are more snooty about costumes and stuff...is this true??

Kaura117

Quote from: questionette on June 04, 2008, 05:48:37 PM
I heard that AX isn't much fun as fanime because the people are more snooty about costumes and stuff...is this true??

I highly doubt it. Cosplay dramu is unanimous, period. I did hear that AX is overall a more "corporate" event than Fanime, though. That, and coupled with AX's choice in location this year, kinda makes it a lower priority for me.

Comic-Con on the other hand... if my luck holds out, I'll have a con report on that this year. I owe Suspi a Fanime article first, though, to make that go through... >_>

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Kaura117 on June 04, 2008, 05:52:55 PM

I highly doubt it. Cosplay dramu is unanimous, period. I did hear that AX is overall a more "corporate" event than Fanime, though. That, and coupled with AX's choice in location this year, kinda makes it a lower priority for me.

Comic-Con on the other hand... if my luck holds out, I'll have a con report on that this year. I owe Suspi a Fanime article first, though, to make that go through... >_>

For serious, I second this. While AX is a larger con, FanimeCon has more of a comfortable and personal atmosphere in comparison. AX is more cooperate, filled with events pertaining advertisement and the like. (It's great for shopping, lol.) But yes, cosplay drama is in anywhere you go, but AX tends to have more of a serious and uptight sense of competition when it comes to cosplay. Most people who take cosplay very seriously travel to cons like AX because of their huge reputation-- a haven for showing off master craftsmanship and well-toned bodies, e.g. attention whoring. I enjoy cosplaying at FanimeCon more, as it's more of an expression of my fandom than competing with other cosplayers. At AX, I take it easy and am more lax with what I wear for some reason.

Mikey and I help out at a doujinshi booth in the dealers' room with a friend who works there every year, so it's incentive to go. There are also a lot of other things we plan on doing since it's an opportunity to visit people in SoCal. Oh, and eating. A lot of people are put off with the crap location AX chose for this year, but seriously, who goes to cons FOR the con itself?

You know what, Kaura117? You's a pretty coo guy, and yo know the shit you talk about and I think that's pretty gangster.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

~~Loktera~~

Further Confusion is in January.

I reccomend it highly if you are over 21, just look for the Klingons on any given night.
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

Kandybar

I shall, in all likelihood, be heading to Comic-Con this year.  (And if I'm in LA for work around AX time, I might hit that too.)

Kaura117

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on June 04, 2008, 06:43:10 PM
Quote from: Kaura117 on June 04, 2008, 05:52:55 PM

For serious, I second this. While AX is a larger con, FanimeCon has more of a comfortable and personal atmosphere in comparison. AX is more cooperate, filled with events pertaining advertisement and the like. (It's great for shopping, lol.) But yes, cosplay drama is in anywhere you go, but AX tends to have more of a serious and uptight sense of competition when it comes to cosplay. Most people who take cosplay very seriously travel to cons like AX because of their huge reputation-- a haven for showing off master craftsmanship and well-toned bodies, e.g. attention whoring. I enjoy cosplaying at FanimeCon more, as it's more of an expression of my fandom than competing with other cosplayers. At AX, I take it easy and am more lax with what I wear for some reason.

Mikey and I help out at a doujinshi booth in the dealers' room with a friend who works there every year, so it's incentive to go. There are also a lot of other things we plan on doing since it's an opportunity to visit people in SoCal. Oh, and eating. A lot of people are put off with the crap location AX chose for this year, but seriously, who goes to cons FOR the con itself?

You know what, Kaura117? You's a pretty coo guy, and yo know the shit you talk about and I think that's pretty gangster.

Well, in this case, the con's location is potentially a safety risk this year, I believe. Which is why I almost managed to pull a bodyguard contract for that one, but eventually decided that I was skirting a bit too close to the law with that one.

And thank you. I appreciate that.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Kaura117 on June 04, 2008, 09:01:29 PM
Well, in this case, the con's location is potentially a safety risk this year, I believe. Which is why I almost managed to pull a bodyguard contract for that one, but eventually decided that I was skirting a bit too close to the law with that one.

Lol, well... that was in general, not referring to the reasons as to why people are discouraged to go. The location is Downtown LA, and well... bad. But hey, it's not as if Otakon's location in Baltimore is any safer. Time to cash in and buy a gun. : P

FanimaidCafe.com

Steve.Young

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on June 04, 2008, 09:28:58 PM
Quote from: Kaura117 on June 04, 2008, 09:01:29 PM

Lol, well... that was in general, not referring to the reasons as to why people are discouraged to go. The location is Downtown LA, and well... bad. But hey, it's not as if Otakon's location in Baltimore is any safer. Time to cash in and buy a gun. : P

Pew pew.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Shinsengumi

Yaoi con is my next target to go that's going to be my last con of this year, I'm not going to sac-anime, sac-con, not AX (hell no), and Comic con  :'(
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

G.I.R

Quote from: Kandybar on June 04, 2008, 08:39:11 PM
I shall, in all likelihood, be heading to Comic-Con this year.  (And if I'm in LA for work around AX time, I might hit that too.)
You do know that you have to buy your tickets for SDCC on-line this year.  If you're going, get them ASAP.