Anyone play Dungeons And Dragons?

Started by Mordyan, June 10, 2008, 05:31:05 PM

Mordyan

I am a long time player and DM (since the 70's) and me and my crew just picked up the 4th edition rules and are trying them out this week. Anyone else play and making the switch?

Feel free to talk about anything D&D related. ;D

TC X0 Lt 0X

I play D&D.

Not making the switch because

A) Nothing Wrong with the current system

B)No Monk

C)I'll wait until 4.5  ;D

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Lactose

i used to. i dont know what edition or anything, we only played for a couple of months and then went back to cyberpunk.

Lactose = Liz

Punkbuster

I played for about a year when everything was converting to 3.5. I loved it once I got the hang of it! I had this problem of finding a good group that didn't get distracted by how I was a female though. =\ So I just quit.

JohnnyAR

I have never played it but d00d, D&D is so old...

I like saying that when ppl talk about D&D

Quote from: Punkbuster on June 10, 2008, 09:00:08 PM
I played for about a year when everything was converting to 3.5. I loved it once I got the hang of it! I had this problem of finding a good group that didn't get distracted by how I was a female though. =\ So I just quit.

lol, u serious? They must've been hardcore or sumthin lol there are some ppl that hold grudges against you if you beat them at it, not pretty...

Punkbuster

Oops, I should read what i wrote before i post lol. I meant that I can't find a hardcore group.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Punkbuster on June 10, 2008, 09:05:29 PM
Oops, I should read what i wrote before i post lol. I meant that I can't find a hardcore group.

zhat explains a lot my dear. (I type in different accent from time to time XD )

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: JohnnyAR on June 10, 2008, 09:03:23 PM

lol, u serious? They must've been hardcore or sumthin lol there are some ppl that hold grudges against you if you beat them at it, not pretty...

Just so you know, you cant WIN D&D, its not that kind of game.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on June 10, 2008, 09:09:55 PM

You can't win? Then how do you finish it?

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: JohnnyAR on June 10, 2008, 09:12:17 PM
Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on June 10, 2008, 09:09:55 PM

You can't win? Then how do you finish it?

You don't 0_0

But in all seriousness, a game can go on forever, and it only ends when the players stop playing it.

And on a side note, I lost the game.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

TC X0 Lt 0X

As for you folks who might want to play D&D, or might want to start back up, but cant find a group to play with, This Site, http://www.dndonlinegames.com/cmps_index.php, is perfect for your needs.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

~~Loktera~~

I used to play AD&D (2'nd Edition, suckas). When I saw that they got rid of my beloved THAC0, I was devastated and only played one game of D&D3.5 thereafter.

I would like to try out 4.0 though, but so far I've been hearing nothing but heavily mixed reviews.
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

ININ

I played AD&D 2nd Edition from 1997 to 2001.  I had a fallout with one of my friends who's very influential in our gaming group.  I went on a family vacation during the final adventures of his campaign.  When I came back, he treated my characters like crap and I quit.  Our friendship also ended, too.

TC X0 Lt 0X

There are people who do that. I haven't personally had that happened to me, but I have heard of these things happening.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

AnimeEmperor

I have a nice set of D&D dice currently collecting dust on my shelf. Well they would be if they weren't in a velvet bag, but um...the bag is getting dusty at least.

I haven't played in awhile, i'd like to though.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Someday, I want to get a set of Emerald Dice...

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Jun-Watarase

I played an "abridged" version of D&D in early middle school, then actual D&D in high school when some of the regulars at the cyber lounge I worked at wanted to play. It was fun for a while, but I don't think I have the patience to play anymore. I tried picking up AD&D, but I already sort of grew uninterested after a while.

Plus, some of the people I played with were kind of annoying. :U

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Chun

People say I would make an amazing DM, but I've never actually played the pen-paper game.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

neko ewen

I played a little bit of 3rd edition with my friends. We're gearing up to play 4th edition some once we get things more organized. The new edition has a lot of people up in arms, but then every new edition did that. My impression is that it's an incredibly good game for running a combat-focused dungeon crawling game. A lot of people wanted to have a more flexible game, but to me it means that D&D is concentrating on the one thing it actually does better than the other games out there. That's actually why I'm keen on playing it now even though I kind of lost interest in 3rd edition (aside from the fact that it looks like they've drastically reduced GM prep time); it'll be a novel experience for me to play a game that emphasizes combat quite that much.

The main thing I like, apart from the fact that it's much simpler overall, is that the game is very balanced. Every class lets you have something to do all the time. A wizard can use up his big time juju in 4e, but he'll still at least be able to lend a hand with magic missiles and such (since they're now considered an at-will power), and a fighter always has more interesting things to try than just "I slash at him." (Yes there are feats that give more options in 3e, but in 4e it's just not possible to create a fighter without him having some nifty encounter and daily powers to work with).

Quote from: JohnnyAR on June 10, 2008, 09:12:17 PMYou can't win? Then how do you finish it?
Tabletop role-playing games are generally open-ended. You get together with your friends and tell stories, moderated by the rules. The game's rules don't tell you when to stop. (There are some exceptions, like My Life With Master, Polaris, Bliss Stage, etc. that have explicit rules for an endgame, but those are very experimental indie RPGs).
Yaruki Zero Games | Ask me about Maid RPG
"I dream heavy metal but I live whiny punk rock."

Mordyan

We'll we have played 4th edition a couple times now and I am DMing again tonight. So far it's been a lot of fun. Based on everything so far, I think the switch will be permanent.

The main complaints that I have heard is that it's a very different game than the one people have grown up with. This is very true. But for me the changes are a positive experience and was what I was hoping for from the system. The only issues I have so far are a bunch of minor things which effect my home brewed campaign setting more than anything else. And if I am patient it looks like those issues will be covered in future releases.

So yeah 4th edition rocks fairly hard. I am almost ready to box up my 3.5 books. Well most of them anyways. Some I will keep around for reference purposes.