WIGS WIGS and CONTACTS CONTACTS!

Started by extensiveillusion, July 10, 2009, 04:50:45 PM

extensiveillusion

Hey guys :D

To be honest, I've never tried on a wig before, but in the next FAnime coming up for sure I will be using one. I have a few questions though... this is in regards to those who know a lot about wigs.

1. I heard wax works best with these?
2. I also heard from using wax, the wig is basically useless after the first few days. By useless I mean the wax gets old and ruins the entire thing. Is this true?
3. Where do you recommend to get some good wigs?
4. Where would you recommend to get contacts?
5. Are contacts reusable after the first 3 times?
Awakening the inner otaku :)

Charis

What are you talking about when you say wax 'works best'?  If you mean styling, the answer is no; the old standbys are hairspray and hair glue, depending on what you want to do with them.  Using those, with proper care there's no reason why a wig shouldn't last for years.  You can even wash wigs, though you have to be careful and remember that a wig is NOT human hair and has to be handled differently.  There are some excellent tutorials out there, and cosplay.com has an entire forum dedicated to wigs.

Good wigs: there are several reputable eBay sellers (I'm too lazy to dig mine up right now, but I remember Zhenna being one of them), as well as Cosworx and Amphigory, as good basic wig sites.  Doctored Locks is an excellent supplemental resource for extensions.  Avoid things labelled as 'Halloween wigs'; they're usually cheaper fibres.

Within the States, you need a prescription for contact lenses even if you don't need one normally.  Beyond that, I can't advise you as I've never ordered cosmetic lenses, just ordinary prescription ones, but I do know that there are also reviews and photos and discussions of those on cosplay.com.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

BSaphire

I have recommended "Wax" for a few specific cosplay wigs, but the "Wax" is specific also. I only do this for those who truly want a permanent hair solution, and to peeps who know how to use the "Wax".

If I sound vague it is because I mean to. The average person may not know how to use the "Wax" I am referencing and can mess up a costly wig or their hair. There are many other ways to style a wig, but when it comes to "Wax" there are only a few that can make 12" spikes stand up in the sun without melting, or make a "Unicorn" hair style stick out from the head. I call them a "permanent" solution because they are extensively/extremely hard to remove should that person want to use the wig for another cosplay they many not be able to.

I would like to add to what Charis said on contact lenses:
There is a type of contact lense call "Theatrical Lenses" These are easier to purchase, but I would like to say that IF you haven't had an eye exam in the last 5 years to get one first. Ask the eye doctor about your eyes and theatrical lenses usage. I NEVER recommend using contact lenses that have broken seals or have been used by anyone else other than yourself. Your eye sight could be permanently affected by the use of contacts that have been used by another, or if the seals are broken then the lense could be a possible problem. BE SAFE and smart about anything going into your eye and see an eye doctor FIRST.

My 2 cents...
BSaphire
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

extensiveillusion

Thanks guys.

As for the wax and wig, I'm thinking of going to a hairstylist to style the wig so it looks like the anime look I want. Of course I'm going to show them a picture as well.

I'm trying to go for this look:

Yeah, I guess I should get my eyes checked.
(Never had them checked for contacts before, but glasses, yes.)

EDIT: Do you guys think that kind of hair is going to be hard to stylize ?
Awakening the inner otaku :)

Azuru

The hair looks pretty easy to style. It looks very easy to style, as long as you have/give a good reference picture.
(I recommend wigs from ebay.com. :) They have all sorts of wigs and you are sure to find one for cosplays. :D Also CosplayFu.com has few good wigs. But usually its easier buying a wig that doesn't go for a specific character. Because usually, they over style them. Such as, if the hair looks gelled, they sometimes over do it. :P Most of the time if it goes for that character, it looks fine. So for that it's pretty 50/50 on if it looks accurate or not if it goes for specific character.  :)) Hope this helps!~   ;D
My cosplay list (still going to be updated)