Signs

Started by chris-barstow, May 23, 2010, 10:03:17 PM

chris-barstow

Now I know that you can't have "hug me, hugs for a $1, kiss for $1, etc" but last year I was told by a roamer that if you carry a sign stating only "Hug." they can't say anytihng since it is only a statement with no invitation. Last year I never got caught, Almost ever mod saw it. SO I was wondering you think that can still stand this year?

michiko nakano

I believe that they banned the "hug for $1" thing because it's a form of solitication/mild prostitution in a sense, so in that way, "hug" should be fine.  I think.

AbsolutelyCursed

That was last year, this year the weapons policy states that all solicitous signs will be banned.
http://www.fanime.com/docs/Final_Weapons_2010.pdf

michiko nakano

yes, but does "hug" count under that category?

jackiemarie90

I'd figure a sign that just said free hugs wouldn't be bad, or what if it's a t-shirt? Surely they can't take that away from you! ha ha :)
You haven't idealized mankind, you have deformed it, and that's the real practical joke.

BrightHeart76

Probably best to ask the rovers.  They enforce the policy, they can tell you what is or is not acceptable.  I think the e-mail was rovers (at) fanime . com  but I might be wrong. 
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Toggy

Don't. It's stupid and desperate. Why would you do it in the first place?

Tony

Quote from: jackiemarie90 on May 23, 2010, 10:42:27 PM
I'd figure a sign that just said free hugs wouldn't be bad, or what if it's a t-shirt? Surely they can't take that away from you! ha ha :)
... but we could ask you to leave and not come back until you change. ^_^;;

You can thank the creepier people from last year's Hug Line for this new policy. Now, not everyone that participated in that were creepy, but some people took it too far. We're usually not so heavy-handed, but that gauntlet got us more complaints than anything, and personally freaked out a number of our staff.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014