FanimeCon 2011 Cosplay & Peace-Bonding Thread [Final]

Started by Aelia, June 18, 2010, 08:03:07 PM

kuro_mazu

My friend is doing a Vanille cosplay this year and she was just wondering if it was alright to use animal leather/fur/bone in her cosplay...? She's heard that someone got in trouble for using real fur once before, but I'm not really clear on the details.
Wake up you Ready sou yume o RIARU ni shiteku Journey
Don't stop michi naru michi e OODAA MEIDO no gr8 Story

kuro_mazu

c2chaos

I don't see how staff would have problem with real fur, unless they were allergic to it, :P
Maybe that conflict involved a PETA activist or someone who just really loves animals. Also, isn't real fur expensive? It might be a bit much for a cosplay that would be worn only a few times a year. Bone, however, could pose a problem if it were sharp, but if it should be fine if it's only an ornament of the cosplay and if it is dull.

In my left brain, there's nothing right & in my right brain, there's nothing left.

Aelia

I'm not sure where your friend got the idea that we as a con object to using animal products in cosplay, because we don't. People use leather all the time. (And I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for it before, except from PETA)

The only reason we would have an issue might be if you were using a living animal in some way-- excepting service animals, I don't believe animals are welcome in SJCC-- or if it was particularly gruesome, neither of which seem to be the case here.
Director of Operations

Rodney_Pheonix

I am not an expert on peacebonding but I don't see how it would be problematic......feasibly it could cause a disturbance if someone from PETA or some other member of a radical 'animal rights' group caught wind of it and flipped out over it but that's about it in my view... con-ops may have a differing opinion of course.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

kuro_mazu

Thank you so much for the help! ^^

Yeah, fur is expensive but her family do a lot of native american crafts so they have some leftovers that she could use.

And yeah, most likely it was a PETA person that she saw. But thank you so much. I will tell her then. x3

sael

Question about the shoes rule:

I have 2 characters wearing tabi boots/shoes (you can see them in the pictures below). Since the boots run about $30, I was thinking of buying tabi socks and then gluing flip flops (or rubber soles) to the bottom. Would they count as shoes?

Also 2 weapon questions:

This is my first year bringing props to Fanime so I've never had to be mindful of the prop/peacebonding rules. I'd like to make sure that the props are okay before I even start on them.

First: http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk51/thymeKat/sengoku%20basara/SarutobiSasuke.jpg
Giant throwing star? I'd make it out of foam and paper mache. Maybe some plastic components. There's no way this thing is going to fly, but I noticed that throwing stars were listed on as prohibited.

Second: http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt269/Sakiamaru/Koei%20Album/a-saikamagoichi.jpg
I'll be making 2 pistols and will paint the ends orange (side question: how much of it needs to be orange?). My question actually pertains to the other 6 I'll have holstered. I wasn't planning to make the full gun, just the the grip which would be attached to a dowel and then shoved into a foam-filled holster. What, if anything, should I do to these?

Aelia

Re: Shoes; Well, since flip-flop shoes count as shoes, I think flip-flops worn with socks would also count as shoes.

Re: Throwing Stars; Well, normal-sized throwing stars are banned, but a giant throwing-star based prop which is not metal would be alright so long as it still fits through doorways and follows all other rules.

Re: Guns; for guns which actually have tips, 1" orange paint visible from the side. For the grips in the holster, we'll just stick peace-bonds on them to mark them as "ok".
Director of Operations

sael

Simna

Can I use an Airsoft gun as a prop if it has an orange tip and is not functional?

Aelia

Quote from: Simna on February 05, 2011, 11:17:01 PM
Can I use an Airsoft gun as a prop if it has an orange tip and is not functional?
No. Airsoft are banned regardless of functionality.
Director of Operations

Simna

I'm completely okay with that, but do you mind if I ask why?

Rodney_Pheonix

Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

Aelia

As far as airsoft goes... it's impossible to glance at it and know that it's non-functional, and we don't allow any functional projectiles of any kind.
Director of Operations

BSaphire

Quote from: kuro_mazu on January 23, 2011, 11:30:55 PM
My friend is doing a Vanille cosplay this year and she was just wondering if it was alright to use animal leather/fur/bone in her cosplay...? She's heard that someone got in trouble for using real fur once before, but I'm not really clear on the details.
As long as she your friend does not plan on entering in the Cosplay Spectacular there should not be a problem with using real fur, HOWEVER if she is planning on entering in there has been a rule about using real fur in costumes...
Cosplay Spectacular rules from 2010:
"•   Note: costumes made out of or incorporating genuine animal fur (from rabbits, mink, chinchillas, etc.) are prohibited. Synthetic (fake) fur is acceptable and allowed."

So if your friend is looking to be in the Cosplay Spectacular she may want to use "Fake" fur.
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Simna

Quote from: Aelia on February 06, 2011, 07:09:43 PM
As far as airsoft goes... it's impossible to glance at it and know that it's non-functional, and we don't allow any functional projectiles of any kind.

What if, say for instance, the trigger has been removed?

ice queen

I also had a question, is a empty bottle with a fake vodka label ok? I'm planning to cosplay as Russia and none of my cosplaying friends were to sure.
2011 Cosplay for Fanime-
Kingdom Hearts - Riku 100% complete
Axis Powers Hetalia - Russia 70% complete
Black Butler - Agni 0% Complete

JewishCosplayer

Quick question, my friends and I are cosplaying from Hetalia. We are bringing Canadian, Ukrainian, Belgium and Belarus flags. We were wondering why type of flag-pole we should use for them? We don't want to use anything that would violate the rules, which is why we are asking.   ;)

Aelia

Quote from: JewishCosplayer on February 11, 2011, 12:06:46 AM
Quick question, my friends and I are cosplaying from Hetalia. We are bringing Canadian, Ukrainian, Belgium and Belarus flags. We were wondering why type of flag-pole we should use for them? We don't want to use anything that would violate the rules, which is why we are asking.   ;)
The only requirements for flag poles is that they are not sharp, and are made of wood or aluminum or something of the like.
Director of Operations