FanimeCon 2012 Karaoke Contest Rules

Started by Hank-KKD, April 17, 2012, 10:05:05 PM

KusanagiShiro

Hey fellow karaoke contestants...I'm afraid I have some bad news. I'm afraid I won't be able to make the con this year.

Due to a heavier-than-normal workload during the last semester at college, and the subsequent severe burnout I have been suffering for the past month, I am afraid I must withdraw from FanimeCon 2012, and the karaoke contest, in order to focus on recovering. That, and the con just isn't in the cards financially.

Sorry guys, but for the first time in eleven years, I'm missing Fanime.

SuperSheba

That's too bad, Kusanagishiro!  I hope to see you next year, then.

Elwen

Quote from: GaleWolf on April 23, 2012, 09:40:43 PM
You may, however, start at the first vocals/verse if the song has a long instrumental introduction.

If we decide to do this, should we submit an edited version that starts where we want it?  Or submit the whole song with a note of where to start?

Alexie828

One more question!
We can trim the intro instrumental to the first vocals/verse, but can we also trim the prelim song to 2:30, and make it fade out ourselves to ensure a smooth ending? That is, the only things being changed about the song is that it is trimmed in both the beginning and the end in order for it to be exactly 2:30. 

Xanreo

Quote from: Alexie828 on April 29, 2012, 10:38:20 PM
One more question!
We can trim the intro instrumental to the first vocals/verse, but can we also trim the prelim song to 2:30, and make it fade out ourselves to ensure a smooth ending? That is, the only things being changed about the song is that it is trimmed in both the beginning and the end in order for it to be exactly 2:30. 

I think it has been stated several times that the only editing that may be done to the song are the removal of the vocals only.

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order

Hank-KKD

Quote from: Elwen on April 28, 2012, 04:33:14 PM
Quote from: GaleWolf on April 23, 2012, 09:40:43 PM
You may, however, start at the first vocals/verse if the song has a long instrumental introduction.

If we decide to do this, should we submit an edited version that starts where we want it?  Or submit the whole song with a note of where to start?

Submit the whole song and before you're up, tell our tech staff where to start.

Quote from: Alexie828 on April 29, 2012, 10:38:20 PM

You don't really need to go to the trouble of doing this. We fade out all songs naturally at 2:30. And as mentioned above you can just tell us exactly where to start the first vocals/verse.

princesskitty18

hey galewolf
can you post a time frame of the sign-ups?
because you know that its gonna go fast
thanks!
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Hank-KKD

I haven't forgotten  ;) There should be an update by Friday.

Cloud

It would be awesome if you included an option to put our preference on when we'd like to sing (towards the beginning or end) like last year's sign ups. Really hoping you'll include that again this year!

Hank-KKD

Quote from: Cloud on May 01, 2012, 09:52:26 PM
It would be awesome if you included an option to put our preference on when we'd like to sing (towards the beginning or end) like last year's sign ups. Really hoping you'll include that again this year!

It's been the same signup form since like 2008, so yes I think that's very likely.   :D

Nina Star 9

This might be an impossible question, but~

About how long (time-wise) are the beginning, middle, and end blocks? Say there was a gathering I wanted to attend that started at 6, and I signed up and got into a spot in the end block, is there any way to estimate how many contestants would be before me so I could know when to show up and if I could make it? (I guess once I checked in, I'd know my number and I'd be able to multiply that by 2.5 minutes to get a rough estimate of how long it would take, but that wouldn't help me now to decide if I want to sign up at all and which event I wanted to do or if I could do both!)

Thanks. :D

Hank-KKD

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 02, 2012, 10:26:20 AM
This might be an impossible question, but~

About how long (time-wise) are the beginning, middle, and end blocks? Say there was a gathering I wanted to attend that started at 6, and I signed up and got into a spot in the end block, is there any way to estimate how many contestants would be before me so I could know when to show up and if I could make it? (I guess once I checked in, I'd know my number and I'd be able to multiply that by 2.5 minutes to get a rough estimate of how long it would take, but that wouldn't help me now to decide if I want to sign up at all and which event I wanted to do or if I could do both!)

Thanks. :D

Yeah, this is impossible to determine right now without anyone signed up. If it helps, the contest order will be posted Monday before con and you can make a projection then based on that.

wings_of_an_angel

Hank-KKD

Quote from: wings_of_an_angel on May 05, 2012, 11:44:38 PM
are printed lyrics ok to use? :o

Yes, but you need to provide them yourself. We do not guarantee lyrics availability for the contest.

Cloud

When listing a song on the sign ups, if the song is sung by multiple people and they do not have a group name, would it be okay to just write the anime series name that the song comes from?

Hank-KKD

Quote from: Cloud on May 06, 2012, 12:47:32 PM
When listing a song on the sign ups, if the song is sung by multiple people and they do not have a group name, would it be okay to just write the anime series name that the song comes from?

Yes, either the artist or series name would be fine.

HiddenThunder

Question for song choice. I want to sing two remixed versions of NES era game soundtracks with added lyrics. The songs are Megaman 3 (opening theme) and Final Fantasy 1 (Opening). I would like to sing the "with lyrics" versions of these songs, made by Brentalfloss. Are these considered legal song choices, since they are from video games?
Accept no substitutes!

Hank-KKD

Quote from: HiddenThunder on May 06, 2012, 08:31:20 PM
Question for song choice. I want to sing two remixed versions of NES era game soundtracks with added lyrics. The songs are Megaman 3 (opening theme) and Final Fantasy 1 (Opening). I would like to sing the "with lyrics" versions of these songs, made by Brentalfloss. Are these considered legal song choices, since they are from video games?

Added lyrics? If this is an official version, yes. If it's fan made lyrics, no.

Also: One change to the schedule. Finals will start at 9PM, not 9:30PM. Please note this change.

princesskitty18

i think i always get this confused
but for the first round, when u say 2:30, does that mean 2 mins and 30 seconds of SINGING or 2 mins and 30 seconds of the song itself?

i feel like i always get cut off when i kno ive prepared 2:30 and stuff..

thanks man :D

and get ready for the onslaught :)
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Armored-Heart

Question; is there an estimated end time for the contest? I'm co-hosting a panel at 11 on Friday, and my co-host will be (hopefully, if his entry was accepted!) entering the Karaoke contest. I'm assuming some overlap between the time slots will be inevitable, but it'd be nice to be able to gauge how much, so we can confirm whether or not I'll need to find someone to fill in for him.
Not attending for 2014. Sorry!