Mascot, Mecha and Mega Costume Gathering?

Started by Beastcub, May 27, 2015, 04:59:36 PM

Beastcub

I saw a lot of what I would classify as either a mascot, a mecha, or otherwise as a "mega costume" that being large, bold, heavy, complicated things that do not focus on you as a human much if at all.

For example I saw a life size Laputa robot, a "Walking with Dinosaurs Live" style Greymon, and a stilted dragon-n-rider Stormfly, and later after I left it seems a full size Catbus was spotted. I also saw a fair amount of mascot type costumes be it fursuit style Pokemon or big-headed Animal Crossing villagers, Marios and Muppets, oh and then there was that lovely cosplay of 9. And I saw myself quite a bit of mecha this year, namely Gundams.

All of these are costumes that stand out in a crowd and take a lot of dedication to wear, they tend to completely hide you as a human being, and some are really more or less a huge wearable prop or puppet... and all happen to be the kinds of costume that interest me the most.

So I was wondering if there was any sort of interest in a gathering just for these kinds of costumes? It would be a simple gathering, we'd take one big photo of our big costumes and then chat about construction techniques and why we enjoy wearing such large (and often hard to wear) statement costumes.