Fanime Dance stuff.

Started by bucac, October 18, 2006, 11:01:07 PM

DJ Stormy

I couldn't stand the kid playing stop and go for the 3 nights. luckily i was able to play saturday and throw down some mixing but as far as i know next year wont be ruined like this year, it will be the return of the professionals  8) also i think no one wants to go down the road of a dj not mixing sadly that was just the way things ended up this year without Al or anyone else running the show.

Cheers,
Stormy (Dave S.)

Dj Stormy @ Myspace

dj 8-ball

Quote from: "jinnai_animexcalibur"Well about "Stop and Play" DJing...

If thats the road they want to take, let them... I'll consider them DJs still.

NO (That would make EVERYONE a DJ then)

You wanna "Stop and Play?" Do it on the radio, or be part of a live band (actually come to think of it, A LOT of live bands now mix from song to song as well) where it's expected. Don't do it at a club/dance and peoples flow (whether it be hip-hop or thechno) is broken.

Stormy: yeah. hopefully Al will take a big role again next year if not, Mixsterious has always shown interest in providing some type of Dj'sentertainment/sound system for Fanime or even have artists come through to perform.

DJ Reign

Quote from: "dj 8-ball"

You wanna "Stop and Play?" Do it on the radio, or be part of a live band (actually come to think of it, A LOT of live bands now mix from song to song as well) where it's expected. Don't do it at a club/dance and peoples flow (whether it be hip-hop or thechno) is broken.

I'll put it like this: "Stop and play" at a club/dance is a big fat no-no.  Fade in and fade out at a club/dance is another big fat no-no.  The only place that "stop and play" is allowed is on the radio.

Next year, indeed the professionals will return...Even if I have to take over my damn self.

I'm just kidding....not kidding about the professionals.

jinnai_animexcalibur

Stormy: yeah. hopefully Al will take a big role again next year if not, Mixsterious has always shown interest in providing some type of Dj'sentertainment/sound system for Fanime or even have artists come through to perform.

WRONG (Anyone CAN DJ!)

I don't see a rule where it says "It's illegal to DJ and not seamlessly mix."
No I did not go to any "DJ school." I learned from watching others.

I don't see Country Bar DJs pulling nonstop mixes, and they are considered DJs.

The DJ is evolving. It's way beyond just Rap and Techno now.

You didnt quote my "As long as you rock that party...that's all that matters."

Was I right there? I think so. ^_^
Official Katsuhiko Jinnai Myspace Page

Katsuhiko Jinnai "The Anime Convention Experience" - NEW ORIGINAL CD - COMING SUMMER 2009.

AnimE'xcalibur/Shinoda Sound Recordings

www.shinodasound.com

DJ Stormy

Quote from: "jinnai_animexcalibur"

WRONG (Anyone CAN DJ!)

I don't see a rule where it says "It's illegal to DJ and not seamlessly mix."
No I did not go to any "DJ school." I learned from watching others.

I don't see Country Bar DJs pulling nonstop mixes, and they are considered DJs.

The DJ is evolving. It's way beyond just Rap and Techno now.

You didnt quote my "As long as you rock that party...that's all that matters."

Was I right there? I think so. ^_^

Yes anyone can DJ, anyone can play tracks but it takes skill to mix perfectly and build and structure a set.
  but in the industry i think Reign and i refer to is electronic dance music where mixing a set is essential most of the time unless your a artist preforming songs and i don't think playing other peoples songs isn't preforming thats DJing.

sure radio DJs and country bar DJs don't have to mix (points if they can) because that music isn't to be mixed. electronic music such as Happy Hardcore , Trance , House and others are built for mixing hence the intros and the outros and in this industry the Artists are based on two things Song Production (if they produce) and their ability to mix see in the electronic music industry DJs are judged by their ability to mix how do club DJs get gigs? demo mixes of course, how do you get booked for a warehouse event? demo mixes again. but if your a DJ at a radio station or a ''Country bar'' once again your playing music that isn't to ment to be mixed so you don't have to mix it you just play it. but like i said i think Reign the others are talking about electronic music.

Cheers,
Stormy (Dave S.)

Dj Stormy @ Myspace

DJ Reign

Quote from: "DJ Stormy"sure radio DJs and country bar DJs don't have to mix (points if they can) because that music isn't to be mixed.
My man, anything can be mixed...ANYTHING!

Everyone here involved in this discussion has a point.  Jinnai said it pefectly with "As long you rock the party...That's all that matters."  Did DJ Caen rock it?  Apparently, it seems like he didn't do that bad if some people are saying they liked it.

Jinnai also said that anyone can DJ...Well, that's true.  Most of us know that there are different types of DJ's, even though the only big difference between "us" and "them" is we mix and they don't.  

The only thing I have left to say is you can't have a DJ that stops and play at a club/dance, it will end in tears.  Fade in and out is possible, but not likely since you're trying to keep the tempo of the crowd, and fading in and out will hinder that.

DJ Stormy

Quote from: "DJ Reign"
Quote from: "DJ Stormy"sure radio DJs and country bar DJs don't have to mix (points if they can) because that music isn't to be mixed.

Yeah your right its possible to mix anything depending on the music it maybe a bit difficult but it can be done of course points if they can mix it cause stuff like rock and other genres takes some quick mixing and cutting i tried mixing some alternative tracks once... didn't go so well... its been a few years since i tried maybe ill give it another shot for fun. :lol:

But yea Caen did play alot of Happy Hardcore and Eurobeat which as we all know hasn't been played at Fanime in a long time.. and all the Con goers are young teens who dig the mainstream vocal stuff of course its gonna work unlike with more underground sounds like Psy Trance and Progressive which appeals to older folks. Caen played the stuff kids were starving for its just to bad he wasn't mixing it, things would of gone alot smoother i think.

Cheers,
Stormy (Dave S)

Dj Stormy @ Myspace

PeppstaR

OK, anyone can be a "DJ" but then there are Turntablists...
Angry Guy Art Studios
www.agartstudios.com

BSaphire

OK... Enough trashing don't you think?.

Stormy... Whats up with the dogging? Didn't Caen let you play for two hours Saturday? Why weren't you DJing? What happened two weeks before Fanime? So what is this... Some of the kids liked what they got and it rubs you the wrong way. No one is saying you can't DJ. No one is saying that you are a bad DJ either. SO because you didn't play all three nights  that you have to be rude because someone stepped up to make sure there was a dance for the Fanime attendees.

I think it is rude and unprofessional for anyone to not at least give kudos for taking on the whole bloody thing with only two weeks to try and get out what the fan wanted to hear. Hell, many didn't even know that the dance was going to be all three nights due to the forum talk prior to con and when the scheduled DJ said they weren't doing it.

Bottom line: WHO WAS THE DANCE FOR? YOU? OR the Fanime Con attendees?

Obviously even DJ Caen will tell you yes the transitions were a bit two rough even for Caen. To top it off.... You don't even know DJ Caen. I also think Caen was pretty darn professional to give two hours of play time to another DJ when Caen didn't have to. I thought there was a little more professionalism in someone who has been in the business as long as some of you have.

Don't you remember that big break when it happened for you? Was it picture perfect? Where you an instant success? What is wrong with this whole thing. It wasn't so horrible that people ran screaming from the room and no one was left to dance. It seems like that is the impression that some want out there.

I personally enjoyed singing with over 100 attendees to "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. There were tons of requests and Caen tried to find many of them. It is a real fine thing to sit and piss instead of supporting another DJ.

I thought that I would at least hear someone say, "Nice try and thanks for filling in. It had some rough points but the attendees seem to enjoy some of the selections."

From me to DJ CAEN:

Thanks for stepping up to the plate and playing so much of the music that the attendees wanted to hear. You have my respect DJ CAEN.
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

DJ Stormy

Quote from: "BSaphire"OK... Enough trashing don't you think?.

Stormy... Whats up with the dogging? Didn't Caen let you play for two hours Saturday? Why weren't you DJing? What happened two weeks before Fanime? So what is this... Some of the kids liked what they got and it rubs you the wrong way. No one is saying you can't DJ. No one is saying that you are a bad DJ either. SO because you didn't play all three nights  that you have to be rude because someone stepped up to make sure there was a dance for the Fanime attendees.

I think it is rude and unprofessional for anyone to not at least give kudos for taking on the whole bloody thing with only two weeks to try and get out what the fan wanted to hear. Hell, many didn't even know that the dance was going to be all three nights due to the forum talk prior to con and when the scheduled DJ said they weren't doing it.

Bottom line: WHO WAS THE DANCE FOR? YOU? OR the Fanime Con attendees?

Obviously even DJ Caen will tell you yes the transitions were a bit two rough even for Caen. To top it off.... You don't even know DJ Caen. I also think Caen was pretty darn professional to give two hours of play time to another DJ when Caen didn't have to. I thought there was a little more professionalism in someone who has been in the business as long as some of you have.

Don't you remember that big break when it happened for you? Was it picture perfect? Where you an instant success? What is wrong with this whole thing. It wasn't so horrible that people ran screaming from the room and no one was left to dance. It seems like that is the impression that some want out there.

I personally enjoyed singing with over 100 attendees to "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. There were tons of requests and Caen tried to find many of them. It is a real fine thing to sit and piss instead of supporting another DJ.

I thought that I would at least hear someone say, "Nice try and thanks for filling in. It had some rough points but the attendees seem to enjoy some of the selections."

From me to DJ CAEN:

Thanks for stepping up to the plate and playing so much of the music that the attendees wanted to hear. You have my respect DJ CAEN.

I'm not dogging anyone i'm discussing with Other DJs how the nights were preformed, i'm sorry if it came off has harsh i did not mean for it to seem like that. i'm not saying caen is a bad DJ im saying hes new and has alot to learn.
he has a interesting sound not a sound i care for anymore i use to play happy hardcore long ago but not anymore, but its a sound that works and like everyone has said thats what matters.

Yes i understand that caen took on the event by himself that is very brave of him which is quite a task for someone that is new into this business and i am thankful for caen giving me a slot after all it was i that came to him asking if i could play and for the record i am just as professional as any of the other DJs if not more, i have to be because it comes with the profession. like i said before i am sorry if i came off as harsh i did not mean for it to sound that way i am sorry i was just discussing the events of the night.

Cheers,
Stormy, (Dave S.)

Dj Stormy @ Myspace

Kanchii

I know you didn't try to come off as harsh Stormy, but you did.

This is all I have to say. DJ Caen made the dance awesome, I don't know if you noticed, but everyone was having a blast and partied. People need to stop being picky. She did a fabulous job I think. AND she let you play for two hours which she did NOT have to do. dont complain because someone else got the gig you wanted.

Also I'd just like to point out that DJ Caen is a girl. stop saying him. gah.

She played alot of stuff I've never heard before, where as I personally didn't like your set Stormy (hey you can rip on her music so I can rip on yours) because it was the typical euro trance and some other stuff that I think is boring, where as people were going crazy and laughing and dancing like there was no tomorrow with Caens stuff. I noticed how much the place emptied after Caen left, I think that speaks for itself.

DJ Stormy

Quote from: "Kanchii"

She played alot of stuff I've never heard before, where as I personally didn't like your set Stormy (hey you can rip on her music so I can rip on yours) because it was the typical euro trance and some other stuff that I think is boring, where as people were going crazy and laughing and dancing like there was no tomorrow with Caens stuff. I noticed how much the place emptied after Caen left, I think that speaks for itself.

I did not play Euro Trance. you need to learn your genres. my sound was Psy Trance and Tech Trance. Psy Trance is anything but euro it is from the Middle east it originated in Israel and India and is also big in South American, and the Tech Trance sound is American example did anyone see how much Nicholas Bennison i played? just because Trance is big in Europe doesn't mean it is Euro Trance you need to learn your genres better and what each track is before you start labeling Electronic Music. i can understand why you think it is boring my sound appeals to older audiences and is a club and warehouse type sound its not the theme of young folks at a Anime convention.

Stormy (Dave S.)

Dj Stormy @ Myspace

Kanchii

Quote from: "DJ Stormy"
Quote from: "Kanchii"

I did not play Euro Trance. you need to learn your genres. my sound was Psy Trance and Tech Trance. Psy Trance is anything but euro it is from the Middle east it originated in Israel and India and is also big in South American, and the Tech Trance sound is American example did anyone see how much Nicholas Bennison i played? just because Trance is big in Europe doesn't mean it is Euro Trance you need to learn your genres better and what each track is before you start labeling Electronic Music. i can understand why you think it is boring my sound appeals to older audiences and is a club and warehouse type sound its not the theme of young folks at a Anime convention.

Stormy (Dave S.)

Dj Stormy @ Myspace

That proves my point. The audience that was at Fanime likes a different kind of music than what you played. Thus, DJ Caen was the better pick for the Fanime dances. To each their own.

DJ Stormy

Quote from: "DJ Stormy"

But yea Caen did play alot of Happy Hardcore and Eurobeat which as we all know hasn't been played at Fanime in a long time.. and all the Con goers are young teens who dig the mainstream vocal stuff of course its gonna work unlike with more underground sounds like Psy Trance and Progressive which appeals to older folks. Caen played the stuff kids were starving for its just to bad he wasn't mixing it, things would of gone alot smoother i think.

Cheers,
Stormy (Dave S)

Dj Stormy @ Myspace

This argument has already been discussed  :shock:

The Nameplate Ninja

I was only in the dance for about an hour or two during each night and honestly had fun enjoying the music and kickin it with my fellow ninjas.
I do admit during Caen's set it seemed a little rough at points but overall I had a blast hearing the tracks that were played and do agree that the crowd enjoyed it just as much too.  Big up to the dance this year and I look forward to next year's as well. ^_^

Peace and Respect
Dedicated to Ryoichi Koga & Goofy Style ^_^

YoureMyHiro

As long as you rock that party...that's all that matters.
Its hard to get a constant groove when there are abrupt stops, its slightly bothersome when dancing however, my main point was the lack of diversity this year. No change ups really, rather it was all electronica oriented but I enjoyed DJ Stormy's set, it was rather well transitioned.

Stormy, whats up dog? Long time no see, I havent seen you or Hamm or the other ITG fools in a long while. I was surprised to see you on the 1's and 2's.

Hopefully next year, we can see a much broader mix but props to all those whose spun and made the effort to make the dance dope.

DJ Reign

Quote from: "Kanchii"I Also I'd just like to point out that DJ Caen is a girl. stop saying him. gah.
Well, when I talked to "it" friday night before the dance, "it" had an adam's apple...

QuoteShe played alot of stuff I've never heard before, where as I personally didn't like your set Stormy (hey you can rip on her music so I can rip on yours) because it was the typical euro trance and some other stuff that I think is boring,
You need a music lesson.  If you're gonna talk trash about what he played, get it right.
QuoteI noticed how much the place emptied after Caen left, I think that speaks for itself.

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but if Caen was the ONLY DJ(snicker) that was doing 98% of the dance (2% going to Stormy), and Caen leaves, doesn't that mean the dance is  over?

And what's up with this Bsaphire person coming out of left field Starting trash when there was no trash being started?  And who the hell are you to be saying what's professional and what's not?  You don't even know what went down, so I advise you to leave that alone.  

Stormy: Stop getting caught up in this nonsense.  Let them say whatever it is they have to say.  Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.  

To everyone else: if you enjoyed the dance this year, good for you.  Thos e who didn't, do not worry.  This won't happen again, I can assure you.

Now, let's all just be happy, and enjoy the summer!

Kanchii

Quote from: "Kanchii"I Also I'd just like to point out that DJ Caen is a girl. stop saying him. gah.
Well, when I talked to "it" friday night before the dance, "it" had an adam's apple...

QuoteShe played alot of stuff I've never heard before, where as I personally didn't like your set Stormy (hey you can rip on her music so I can rip on yours) because it was the typical euro trance and some other stuff that I think is boring,
You need a music lesson.  If you're gonna talk trash about what he played, get it right.
QuoteI noticed how much the place emptied after Caen left, I think that speaks for itself.

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but if Caen was the ONLY DJ(snicker) that was doing 98% of the dance (2% going to Stormy), and Caen leaves, doesn't that mean the dance is  over?

And what's up with this Bsaphire person coming out of left field Starting trash when there was no trash being started?  And who the hell are you to be saying what's professional and what's not?  You don't even know what went down, so I advise you to leave that alone.  

Stormy: Stop getting caught up in this nonsense.  Let them say whatever it is they have to say.  Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.  

To everyone else: if you enjoyed the dance this year, good for you.  Thos e who didn't, do not worry.  This won't happen again, I can assure you.

Wow. You should be shot for your first comment, I'm not even joking.

As for my whole 'the place emptied after Caen left' thing I was OBVIOUSLY talking about saturday when she let Stormy take over, which I'd like to add she did NOT have to do and only did because she's nice. When Stormy's stuff came on practically half the people left. Don't be such a smart ass.

All in all, it sounds to me like we just have to really pissed off DJs here because they didn't get the job. Deal with it. Try to get it next year. So what if she doesnt play the same music you do, does everyone have to play the same stuff? That'd be HORRIBLE.

Tony

Ohhh, it's too hot around here for me to pretend to moderate the boards...

Everyone, stop now.

Let's not get into a no-true-Scotsman debate about what should be played and how it should be played.

We all had parts we liked and didn't like about this year's dance. I think they've mostly been voiced. So, either a) keep comments about this year clean and polite or b) continue with suggestions for next year (without jabs about this year).
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Sorin

"it" so happens to be my roommate, and is most definitely a girl, thankyouverymuch. If you think otherwise, keep that &%#@ to yourself. As for everything else, as professional as DJ stormy claims to be, I'm thinking it's quite the opposite. Coming on these boards and bashing peoples hard work is hardely professional, neither is the way Stormy treated people the night of the dances, including me. He was VERY rude to me straight to my face. And on top of that, going up there, cutting her before his time or her song was remotely done, then turning his system up so loud it was clipping on the master board hardly seems professional either. So don't come on these boards acting all high and mighty. There was a line to see her, not for stormy. He should be happy she even let him have a spot. Furthermore, I realize his style isn't quite hers, but what he needs to realize is that this is an anime con, you need to try and at least somewhat cater to the music of the audience. I wouldn't play a punk show for a bunch of 40 year olds, because I know they most likely woulnd't enjoy the music. The sign of being really good at what you do, is being diverse enough and knowing when to play what people want to hear.