Cospay know-how

Started by Mango Bunny, October 23, 2006, 11:26:52 AM

Mango Bunny

Hey everyone,

I've never cosplayed before, but I hope to this year. I was wondering what are some dos and don'ts when it comes to cosplay? For example...that cheap halloween costume fabric is a don't. But what other sorts of things? I want to know what wil make people look down on me and what details and tips can make a good costume in your opinion. I think it could be fun and useful. ^^

Ska_Kitti

-If you're going to wear a wig, don't buy a cheap $20 godiva wig thinking it will last you forever. Look for Kanekalon wigs. Amphigory is a good place to go.

-Make an account on Cosplay.com to get valuable tips on future cosplay. :]
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

uzutake

NEVER EVER EVER EVER go to Hot Topic. Their idea of a costume is a plastic Naruto Jumpsuit and a PLASTIC Naruto Wig. I nearly cried. And if you're thinking "Ooh, pretty Lolita shoes and skirts and...OMFG! IS THAT THIS MONTH'S ISSUE OF CURE MAGAZINE?!(I'm not lying, they have it)" well, it might look nice and oh so cute, and their anime stuff LOOK authentic...nuh-uh.(You can see I hate them with a passion ^^())

Plus, most cosplayers hate stuff from Hot Topic anyway. But first time cosplayers tend to buy their stuff there because: (A) It's convenient and (B) It LOOKS authentic.

The stores that are made JUST FOR Halloween are NOT good. And if you're planning on buying a wig, make sure you feel it and see if it feels like real hair...or at least soft. If it's course or feels like it was made of...wood or something, then dont get it. I suggest a wig made up of REAL hair. They're expensive and hard to get by, but if you see one, I suggest you buy it.

If you're planning on buying something on the internet, surf around to see if the particular website you're at has good reviews or not, to see if their products are good.

Dont go to Party City for things like costumes, wigs, or props. You might as well make it yourself.

Which brings me to another subject! *groans come from the background* Making a costume is much cheaper and much more fun then buying it. You should really just find some day where you're free and just drive around or drop buy your local mall and just browse. Maybe go to a Goodwill, if you can't find a fabric store, and buy a bunch of cheap T-Shirts. It's your first cosplay, you shouldnt take it too seriously.

...but never go to Hot Topic. >.<

DayDreamerNessa

Someone brought up a good point about wigs.

wigs- The mroe you pay for the wig the better quality the wig will be, most of the time i spend from 35-55$ on good wigs, the longer the wig the more expensiver it'll be too. Also remember the color of the wig you see on the computer screen may differ from the color in person.

store suggestions for wigs-
http://witchwigs.com/
http://www.cosworx.com/home.php?cat=1

make-up- wear make-up! you wanna look your best when people take your picture. I normally don't wear make-up ever, but for cosplay i always wear it.

shoes- make sure there comfortable, and don't use tennis shoes(most of the time they are dirty and they just don't look nice, unless your doing a costume that has tennis shoes then make sure they aren't dirty XD) Get shoes that match your costume at least instead of tennies.

poses- make sure you practice posing in the mirror IN your costume before the con, so that way you won't freeze up if your in front of a camera at the con. And also if you don't feel like having people take your picture tell them politely "no" you have the right to not be photographed.

altering clothing- my first cosplay was storebought clothes that i altered, there's no shame in doing it, and it's a good alternative if you can't sew/don't own a sewing machine, or don't have the time to sew.

most importantly IRON IRON IRON! You want your costume to look nice, and having a wrinkly costume doesn't look good, and it makes you look a little lazy =P plus if you spent a ton of time making it why have it wrinkly? XD

if you have any questions keep posting!
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

phoenixphire24

If you plan on sewing, invest in some good equipment. Believe me, it will help. I especially recommend getting a good pair of sewing shears; they're about $15-$20, but they will help you get clean cuts which resist fraying.

Also, check around for fabric. Cosplay.com has excellent suggestions about what types of fabric to use for certain kinds of outfits. After all, you're going to be wearing this costume all day and in rooms with lots of other people. You want a strong fabric (probably not 100% cotton) but it also should be breathable. With all the people and walking around, you don't want to be hot and uncomfortable while people take your picture. I recommend a nice cotton blend for most costumes.

bahamutknightzero

I have to agree with anyone who has mentioned wigs from what i've read.

To Uzutake: I can see your "HATE" for Hot Topic, but it's not ALL bad. I mean for my costume last year, I had two wristbands I bought from there since they were the closest thing to the type of wristband that I needed.

BunofGovt

Quote from: "phoenixphire24"If you plan on sewing, invest in some good equipment. Believe me, it will help. I especially recommend getting a good pair of sewing shears; they're about $15-$20, but they will help you get clean cuts which resist fraying.

AND use those scissors ONLY for your fabric.  Using them for cutting paper, cardstock, rope, etc. will dull them.

Quote from: "phoenixphire24"Also, check around for fabric. Cosplay.com has excellent suggestions about what types of fabric to use for certain kinds of outfits. After all, you're going to be wearing this costume all day and in rooms with lots of other people. You want a strong fabric (probably not 100% cotton) but it also should be breathable. With all the people and walking around, you don't want to be hot and uncomfortable while people take your picture. I recommend a nice cotton blend for most costumes.

Now that the holidays are upon us, most of the fabric stores will have sales.  Also, the costume patterns may go on sale after Halloween.  Depending on your outfit, you may be able to adjust a pattern or two to meet your needs.

Take a look at the outfit(s) you are considering.  Feel free to post if you have questions about a particular part of the outfit or accessory.  Odds are someone here will have had experience with that and be able to advise you.

Also, what DayDreamerNessa said about practicing posing and being comfortable is important.  Remember to try on your outfit at different stages while you are working on it and maybe even wear it for an hour or so to see how it feels and moves with you.  I had a headpiece which I only tried on in my backyard while I was constructing it.  I therefore did not realize how far it extended out and bumped into walls and poked several people when I wore it at Fanime.  :oops:

And I don't know how important this is for others, but for me, something I can get into and out of a bathroom stall in without serious damage is VITAL.   :shock:   Sorry, I appear to be rambling now...

Go to a local beauty supply shop in your area to check out their wigs.  You can get a look at the different styles and colors and may be able to try them on.  If you don't think you'd be comfortable wearing a wig, you might try coloring or dyeing your hair.  There are gels or mousses that you can style your hair with, too (spikes, curls, etc.) in different colors.  Practice over a weekend to see if your head is able to deal with colors or dyes.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

DayDreamerNessa

Quote from: "bahamutknightzero"I have to agree with anyone who has mentioned wigs from what i've read.

To Uzutake: I can see your "HATE" for Hot Topic, but it's not ALL bad. I mean for my costume last year, I had two wristbands I bought from there since they were the closest thing to the type of wristband that I needed.

I agree with you here too, i don't think hot topic is bad either, many times i've gone in there and I see many things that would be good parts of costumes.

As for the pre-made costumes from hot topic i think there funny, and i  would know seeing anyone who would choose to wear that at a con has a sense of humor, BUT if they claimed to have made it themselves, or enter in a costume contest that's another story.

Personally i wouldn't say most cosplayers hate hot topic but that's me.
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

phoenixphire24

Quote from: "DayDreamerNessa"
Quote from: "bahamutknightzero"I have to agree with anyone who has mentioned wigs from what i've read.

I agree with you here too, i don't think hot topic is bad either, many times i've gone in there and I see many things that would be good parts of costumes.

As for the pre-made costumes from hot topic i think there funny, and i  would know seeing anyone who would choose to wear that at a con has a sense of humor, BUT if they claimed to have made it themselves, or enter in a costume contest that's another story.

Personally i wouldn't say most cosplayers hate hot topic but that's me.

I agree. Hot Topic can be good for accessory items especially if you can't find anything closer or don't have the time to make an item yourself. They  have a wide selection of gloves and stockings which your probably wouldn't make yourself. I just hate people who get their entire costume from Hot Topic and then parade them around as if they're homemade. Oh, and the Naruto headbands from there drive me crazy too because everyone has them.

Kazuko

x: agreed on the Hot topic stuff~

Umm also If you purchase a cosplay please give credit where credit is due x:

also if you use makeup make sure that it will go well with your skin tone XP and also test it to see if you dont have an allergic reaction. Clown Makeup is a no no when it comes to applying makeup for any cosplay

also on contacts make sure to take care of them well and dont wear em for such a long time cause they can make you blind, so i hear~

yOna

Go to Joann.com and get on their mailing list. They always have 40% off coupons around, especially during the fall and holidays ^_^.

I agree that buying something already made and altering it is good for first time cosplayers. If you have experience sewing, then find a pattern similar to your costume ^_^.

Make it comfortable enough so you can eat and breathe while in costume! (I made one of my costumes so tight, I couldn't eat anything T_T)

And have fun while you cosplay!
Christine L.
FanimeCon Registration Staff

Attackthbloo

Remember: To make a great cosplay outfit, you have to spend some money. Don't wait until the last month to do anything, especially weapons. Things like weapons maybe look hard to do but just remember the basics of stuff. If you need to make a overly large sword (lets take Clouds) remember to use light material and what I do is I use clay to make the hardness of it. Try not to make it top heavy.

More later I guess :D