So uh... about 1/2 a year and no new updates?

Started by pngaou, November 09, 2006, 01:22:23 PM

mDuo13

Looking forward. I will admit, 2005 was probably the weakest of all the Fanime cons I've attended.

Moonblossom

Mew

Quote from: "Moonblossom"Yaaay! The new site is up :D
And it's pretty~! *thumbs up to Tony*
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

Barnes

^Agreed.
Although I think the "puplic transit" part should be updated a little bit. It should mention the Light Rail Winchester/Mountain view line, which connects at the Convention Center and San Jose Diridon stations.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

mDuo13

Interesting design on the new site. There are a couple things that bother me a little, though the fixes aren't easy:

(1) scrolling lags thanks to the opacity CSS used. That's the white layer div, "filter:Alpha(Opacity=30); -moz-opacity: 0.30" part. In my experience, you get somewhat better (but not altogether perfect) results if you pre-render the lighter layer, save it as a separate .jpg, and use background-attachment: fixed on the upper layer as well.

(2) I don't like how unvisited links in the navigation sidebar don't have an underline hover. The reason for this is this, on line 25 of fc2k7_style.css:
.navigation .tier1
{
   color: white;
   text-decoration: none;
   font-weight: bold;
}

This particular declaration overrides the global a:hover { text-decoration: underline; } one you've done earlier. Being as links are, globally, not underlined by default, it should be safe enough to just remove the line "text-decoration: none;" from this declaration and the navbar links will hover with underlines as they are supposed to.

(3) The background image has really ugly JPEG artifacts. There's not much you can do about this if you want to keep the full 1280x1024-sized image, but I think there are better solutions than this. Supposing you ditch the opacity clause, you can make the background the color black, and create two divs (below, one on each side) with only the outer parts of the image. So the center part which is by and large covered up by the main site content already would not be there, in which case you could really compress these borders a lot more cleanly. Alternatively, you could just create a repeating pattern to use in the sides or the background. Might look as bad as the JPEG compression, though.

Kegan_Flame

mmm it's nice... but i think i liked last years better >.>;;

nice work tho!! ^_^

edit:

i figures out what i don't like about it

it looks like a star-treck convention thing -____- we are way kooler then that >.>

deepbluevibes

astroboy

The background is darkblue and the text is light orange....making it almost impossible to read. Is it just me or is anyone else having the same problem?

I'm using the firefox browser.

BTW isn't it nice to know that most people have cell phones today, kinda like what Captain Kirk had.  :wink:

Moonblossom

The text is white, on a navy background, for me. I think it's quite easy to read.

The only orange I see is some of the links, and they're a medium burnt sort of orange that looks good on the navy.

FanFicGuru

I like the design myself. Futuristic...shiny...me gusta mucho.

*nod*
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Tsubasa

I have less qualms with this layout than last year's.  For laziness sake, I won't go into specifics aside from one qualm: computing at larger resolutions yields very distinct and ugly background tiling.  For referrence, I'm @1680x1050
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: "Tsubasa"computing at larger resolutions yields very distinct and ugly background tiling.  For referrence, I'm @1680x1050
Its a little better at 1440x900 but the tiling is still there for me as well.
Though its only a small section on the right.

I'd image its bad for your res. ^.^;;
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Asa_Gohan

half a year and no new updates he says..Well it would be nice if fanime could be planned, get every thing done, get all the guests of honors, grab all the bands, have people make their costumes, allow us to make hotel reservations with discounts, plan the festivities, and what not all in oh so much time with only oh so many people to help out.  Yeah...that would be nice...
BTW i like the new site ^-^ however i wish you could have kept the old timer where it also kept track of the seconds and milliseconds. but hey cant have everything >.<

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Tsubasa"For referrence, I'm @1680x1050

...Give me your monitor. ::drools::

Joking aside, the design looks pretty cool, but I liked the sleek look of last year's design better; it was easier to navigate using the pop-up menu, but I imagine that issues would generate using older browsers. Tiling's non-existent for me -- but of course, I'm at the more-or-less standard 1024x768.

Can't wait to see more.
epic progressive

vox

Asa_Gohan

i do agree though that i did like the old design better. Just because of the colors and it looks cool =O~~

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

astroboy

Quote from: "Moonblossom"The text is white, on a navy background, for me. I think it's quite easy to read.

The only orange I see is some of the links, and they're a medium burnt sort of orange that looks good on the navy.
okay it must be me then.

I did a PrintScreen and uploaded the pic onto my website:

here's what I see

http://yunnie.org/fanime-cant-read.JPG

LOL I can't belive this, I'm the only one with this problem....I guess that makes me "unique".

deepbluevibes

Moonblossom

Quote from: "astroboy"
Quote from: "Moonblossom"The text is white, on a navy background, for me. I think it's quite easy to read.

okay it must be me then.

here's what I see

LOL I can't belive this, I'm the only one with this problem....I guess that makes me "unique".

Ack, that is pretty awful. o.O

Zain

Quote from: "astroboy"

okay it must be me then.

here's what I see

You know, I had the same problem... but when I went back to the page to show Tony, it turned magically white. I'd suggest hitting shift+refresh to get rid of any old cached info or something.

Also... we'll probably put in the milliseconds and seconds once we get closer to con ;)
2007 Staff (Facilities, IT, Website, Publications)

otakuapprentice

yea, i had the same problem that astroboy had when viewing the website. the solution that Zain had worked perfectly. i hit Shift+Refresh, and it all cleared up.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.