Sometimes, in certain situations
6 (60%)
Yep.
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: March 10, 2007, 04:10:27 PM

deepbluevibes

SohmaYuki

DoA is more of a game of rock paper scissors than anything else. Almost everything is safe to do as long as they didn't do the one thing that beats it... There's no risk in anything you do except for getting countered. There's no variation between characters at all(sure their moves are different, but you play them all exactly the same).

There is no such thing as ranging, zoning, poking, etc. There's no such thing as capitolizing frame advantage etc. etc. etc.

It's a trash game that's only played to mess around and have fun without getting technical.

Asa_Gohan

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

deepbluevibes

SohmaYuki

I've played DoA4... i just haven't gotten to mess with it in retarded ways(like spend hours checking properties of moves, frames etc.).

But no. It's just like DoA3. The only major changes is damage on counters and counter length. It's still a trash game. You play grappler characters just like regular character...

The game becomes...

Press attack string and hope they get hit or tried to throw.

hit counter and hope they press attack string

hope they counter and throw.

Essentially that's what the game comes down to. I watched "high level DOA play" at evo, and fooled around with it enough to understand the game itself.

Because of speed and the amount of movement your character makes for merely pressing attack(hitting p twice movies you 1/4 of the screen) ranging doesn't exist... nor does poking. Everything is a guaranteed combo outside of one hit knock down moves...

Really, it's not meant to be deep or complicated, that's the ploy of the fighting(and the tits). If it was deep at all, it would have failed at doing it's job...

Smash Bros... isn't a fighting game. It's competitive and deep, but not a fighting game. It's as much of a fighting game as NES double dragon vs. mode, or Urban Champion, or even the fighting part of Blades of Steel.

Barnes

QuoteI found an interesting piece about cheapness, but I'll post it later.

Ok, I'll post it now.

Warning:It might sound harsh, but I kinda agree with it. It's also an over 3-year old piece, but I think its still good.
Enjoy:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=34747
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes