Lucky Star - Uu 19:You can find my people... Everywhere

Started by Chun, April 08, 2007, 06:20:01 AM

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: "LastElixir"to answer ryu's q

Nakajima Miyuki a big name artist in Japan who's been active since the 70s, got really popular in the early 90s for doing some J-drama endings. One being a really controversial drama called "Ie Nakiko" which was about a homeless girl and her struggles. I was a big fan of the series during that time, and it soared in ratings.

The best thing about Nakajima is her huge change from her singing and her radio personality. She's naturally a really funny and light-hearted person, but her songs are always dark and heavy, the lyrics makes you want to cut your wrists.

added: Actually the song Miyuki played was the ending for the NHK documentary series Project X (a really good show, but I don't want to get into that.) probably her most recent hit.

J

*nods* Ah ok. Thanks for answering my question. That's pretty cool though.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Sunara Ishi

OMG. Ep. 7.... Konata.... omg... ~rolls around laughing~
A whole new level to her... I <3 it. XD;

Tsukasa + cell phone... >.< so cute...

Akira is very annoying at this point. I almost want them to through her out and give Konata and Kagami more time.. -.-;
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

LastElixir

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: "LastElixir"
Quote from: "Sunara Ishi"
BTW, anyone know what song that is at the end?

read me post pweez
Lol. that was why I editted it out. -.-; gomen ne.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Tsubasa

You know, lets try to document the references we can catch.  It'd be helpful for those that others might miss.

Episode 7:
-Obvious stuff: Marimite and Keroro Gunso were everywhere.  Konata's ringtone is Hare Hare Yukai.
-When Konata turns on the TV, Kuchibiru Daydream, the 2nd OP to Strawberry Panic! plays.  They're really repping the shoujo-ai series this episode.
-On Konata's computer tower, there are two figures/PVCs.  One I believe is Kooh.  I can't quite make out the other.

This episode, coupled with episode 4, allows us to date the series.  Things appear to take place during 2006.  In episode 4, Konata watches Haruhi during the spring.  This episode, she watches the latter half of Strawberry Panic! during the summer.  This follows their actual original runs in Japan.

Can people help me with some stuff from episode 6?
-Is the portion where Tsukasa is in the water a reference to anything?  The whole "Tsukasa desu.  Tsukasa desu." part.
-If anyone didn't get it, Timotei is a shampoo brand.  I'm assuming Konata's gesture of stroking her hair is a reference to a Timotei commercial?
-What exactly is Sukekiyo?  Konata mentions it when she has the mask on.
-The ED, Valentine Kiss, is a Prince of Tennis image song.  Atobe's.  I think it was sung by other people too.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Spiritsnare

epic progressive

vox

LastElixir

Tsu, you just made this post 100 times more fun. I'll try to reference stuff that's not-so-obvious since I probably have more useless knowledge about the non-anime pop culture references while you guys get more of the thick nougety-creamy anime stuff.

Ok I'll get serious, since I've been writing down some stuff here and there (because I was so bored) I'll bust them out.

Ep2
-When Konata talks about  the pros and cons about seiyuu changes from anime and drama CD, I believe the real reason was as a mockery to it's own drama CD, since there was some drastic cast changes.

-This reference is very obscure and I can't believe I caught it. When Kagami talks about the last ep of a drama she was watching "Koi no Apron", she talks about a guy who has a red bucket over his head and the scene gets cut off. This is a reference to a classic detective drama "Furuhata Ninzaburou". In the first season of this drama, theres an episode where one of the starring roles talks about a man with the red bucket, and she gets caught before she finishes her story and she chooses not to finish it. This was kind of a big question if you were watching this show during that time, and I used to talk about it with my parents back in the day.
If you want to know more about Furuhata Ninzaburou, check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furuhata_Ninzaburo  ....possibly one of the best drama series I've ever watched, it's genius writing, simply put. Each episode is standalone and carries unique cameos with weird quirky dialogue, smart acting with funny yet suspenseful mysteries.
ps, kyon's hand-to-forehead gesture is arguably from Furuhata, this show is one of the biggest successes in Japanese TV history and it's existance remains to be very very influential. It's hard to find anyone in Japan who doesn't know about this show.

Ep3
-Start with the obvious scene cuts for Chromartie High school and PaniPoni Dash with HORRIBLE dub. Which were awesome.

-My most favorite reference here has to be the "DragonQuest 5" reference. This is the scene where Konata talks about who you have to choose to marry and Kagami proclaims her love for Bianca. DQ5 is the only game in the franchise where you have to choose a wife and the story shifts slightly depending on who you choose. You have the Ojyousama-type Flora and the Osananajimi-type Bianca, and their stats differ slightly. I could never choose Flora in my 4-5 or so times of replaying the game, even if I did pick Flora, I would eventually hit reset and pick Bianca instead lolol.

Ep4
-Konata impersonates "Crayon Shin-chan" when Kagami finishes eating her cake. Oddly, Crayon Shin-chan has to arguably be one of the most impersonated anime characters within Japanese girls, even in the Japanese idol community.

-Small chest reference is from "Shuffle" amirite?

-The ED song that Kagami sings "Sailor fuku to Kikanjyuu" is the theme from the early 80s movie with the same title. It's about a highschool girl taking over a small Yakuza clan after her father passing away and their struggle against other clans. The original song was sung by the starring role and 80s big-name idol Hiroko Yakushimaru. It's now considered a cult classic.

Ep6
-When Tsukasa says "Yokkoi Shouichi" when she sits down, it's a old pun which ties the word "Yokkoi sho" and "Yokoi Shouichi", an old Japanese soldier veteran.

-When Konata washes her hair and repeats "Timote timote timoteee", it's referring to "Timote", a Hair conditioner label that existed in the 70-80s. I don't know if it's a direct parody from a commercial, but Konata repping that joke at her age is pure insanity.

-In the scene where Tsukasa puts her ears against a seashell and imagines herself diving into the ocean, she repeats the line "Watashi, sonna omoshiroi koto ienaito desu, Tsukasa desu, tsukasa desu." (I am Tsukasa, I am Tsukasa, I can't say anything funny.) This is taken from an act by a stand up comedian named "Hiroshi". Hiroshi became big and widely known in Japan around 2004 when he had an act where he'll repeat his name, and then zing himself in his regional dialect with raw descriptions. I was a big fan.

-At around 16:47, Tsukasa and Kagami are most likely watching the show "Trivia no Izumi". An immensely popular show with great ratings and a high budget that covers random useless facts, and having the show go out their way to prove the facts they show. Running from "How many fire extinguishers would you need to lift one man?" to "Katana blade vs Military machine guns, who would win?"

-The ED song "Valentine Day Kiss" sung by Tsukasa was originally sung by the idol group "Onyanko Club", a very popular pop group in the 80s. From what I remember, the group always consisted of atleast 20-30 members, and had over 50 members in it's lifetime. Kinda like Chekkikko or MM, girls would always "graduate" and new members would be recruited.

-In the scene where Konata scares Tsukasa with the mask of Sukekiyo, this is a reference to a big franchise of TV series and movies "Inugami-ke no Ichizoku" starring Kindaichi Kousuke. It's a classic series of mysteries with a huge fan base. Sukekiyo is one of the main characters within the Inugami story arc I believe. The Kindaichi Kousuke series made a spinoff "Kindaichi Hajime no Jikenbo", (who is Kousuke's grandson) which is more widely known by anime/manga fans.

that's about it for now. Don't think there was anything that special ep5 or 7, both were fairly weak reference wise, I mean they had great references but most were obvious.

J

ps, i forgot about the Sukekiyo thing, don't know too much about it but I got the reference so I'll add it.

Tsubasa

Quote from: "LastElixir"Ep4
-Small chest reference is from "Shuffle" amirite?
The character in question is Mayumi Thyme.  Her, how shall we say, less than stellar chest is a running gag in SHUFFLE!.  She constantly makes self-justification for it.

Thanks for the other stuff, J.

I'll skim over past episodes later and see if I can find anything else. :3

Edit:
Also, did anyone get the whole sunflowers and twintains thingy they mentioned in ep. 7 Lucky Channel?
-Tsubasa

LastElixir

I don't know what the sunflowers are refering to, but I think the drill reference is probably getter robo? since the staff apparantly love the series.

But I did find something big, I rewatched ep7 several times and noticed something, something big. (yea i just said something 3 times cuz im excited and proud of this useless find.)

Theres a HIDAMARI SKETCH reference in ep7, I could be wrong. Let me show u dem.

I guessing the original Shaft reference was from the game of LIFE pieces? if I recall correctly, the pin-like pieces represented each individual family member. Haven't played the game in a while. And Luckystar parodied it? CRAZY lolol

yea im a loser

j

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: "LastElixir"I don't know what the sunflowers are refering to, but I think the drill reference is probably getter robo? since the staff apparantly love the series.

But I did find something big, I rewatched ep7 several times and noticed something, something big. (yea i just said something 3 times cuz im excited and proud of this useless find.)

Theres a HIDAMARI SKETCH reference in ep7, I could be wrong. Let me show u dem.

I guessing the original Shaft reference was from the game of LIFE pieces? if I recall correctly, the pin-like pieces represented each individual family member. Haven't played the game in a while. And Luckystar parodied it? CRAZY lolol

yea im a loser

j

It could also be parodying Gurren Lagann on the drill thing, since it's also one of the new shows this season. It'll be funny if LS throws something from Gainax later on in the series again. :P
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Chun

Quote from: "Tsubasa"
-On Konata's computer tower, there are two figures/PVCs.  One I believe is Kooh.  I can't quite make out the other.

Oh my god.

You're right, that has to be Kooh. I don't know any other twintailed golf loli out there. :o

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Tsubasa

Some more stuff.  Some of it I consider rather obvious, but I decided to note and/or give some elaboration where I thought it could be needed for those who are not familiar with the original sources.

2:
-When it shows Kagami and Tsukasa's day at 10:00 AM, there's a KAT-TUN poster in their sister's room.  They are an extremely popular male idol group in Japan.

3:
-Thank you for pointing this one out to me before, Spirit, as I didn't pay enough attention to the wedding invite.  Yui's wedding invite gives the name of her husband as Narumi Kiyotaka.  This is the exact same name of the brother of the main protagonist, Narumi Ayumu, in Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna.

-When Konata, Tsukasa, and Miyuki discuss wedding dresses, Konata brings up Angel Salvia and Angel Daisy.  These are characters from the magical girl series Wedding Peach.

4:
-Konata presents Tsukasa with a ToHeart uniform for her birthday.  This is a play on the fact that Tsukasa shares more or less the same hair style as the main girl Kamigishi Akari.  It is to be noted that the uniforms in TH1 and TH2 are different.  TH2 updated the TH1 uniform to be more modern and hip.  The main differences are in the shape of the collar and the make of the sailor blouse (button/zip up as opposed to pull over).  It's argued that the bow on the TH2 uniform is larger and fuller too.  Anyway, this is correctly the uniform from TH1, which is the game Akari is from.

-The mark on Konata's notebook is the Kamesennin symbol from Dragonball.  Seen on occasion in the series on the backs of gis.

5:
-When Yui plays on the DS, those sounds are from the first Lucky Star game for DS: Moe Drill.  It's basically an AVG with various mini-games that are more like thinking drills than anything else.

6:
-I'm sure the Initial D reference was pretty obvious.  It's a direct parody of episode 1 of the first series, where Takumi beats Keisuke on Akina; the mountain pass known for its five consecutive hairpins and Takumi's gutter run technique on them.  Only, the AE86 Trueno that Takumi normally drives is replaced with a WRX, which is another car his father purchases much later into the series (Stage 4 in the anime).

-When Konata talks about shotting the watermelon with a gun, that's a reference to Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu.

-The song mentioned in Konata's scary story is DANZEN!  Futari wa Pretty Cure.  From the anime Futari wa Pretty Cure.  Extremely popular magical girl show in Japan in recent years.  I consider myself a fan.
-Tsubasa

Spiritsnare

So, anyone wanna print out and color Minoru Shiraishi?

Oh, and since Raki-Suta's wiki sucks - no offense to them - the Lucky☆Wiki is open. :3

I'm sure some of you realize that the existence of that means I haven't been watching Code Geass. Someone shoot me.
epic progressive

vox

Sunara Ishi

Its been so long that I watched Wedding Peach that I completely forgot about those characters... -.-;

Spirit, are you going to add all these references to it? O.o?
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Sunara Ishi"Spirit, are you going to add all these references to it? O.o?

If no one else does, sure.
epic progressive

vox

Raydere

Quote from: "Tsubasa"6:
-I'm sure the Initial D reference was pretty obvious.  It's a direct parody of episode 1 of the first series, where Takumi beats Keisuke on Akina; the mountain pass known for its five consecutive hairpins and Takumi's gutter run technique on them.  Only, the AE86 Trueno that Takumi normally drives is replaced with a WRX, which is another car his father purchases much later into the series (Stage 4 in the anime).
That's ep. 5, not 1.

Also, Konata's dialogue after the scene is a ref of Natsuki commenting on Takumi's driving (forgot which ep that was) and how it didn't make her sick like her parents' driving usually does.  She says almost the exact same thing.
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

Magical Senpai

Quote from: "Tsubasa"

The car that Yui drives is a WRX? It looks like a Subaru, but at first it looked like a Honda.

Reason why I wanna know is a secret.

Tsubasa

Quote from: "G.S. LXVIII"
Quote from: "Tsubasa"6:
That's ep. 5, not 1.
Oh, you're right.  Thanks for catching that.  I had the whole part where Takumi passes up Keisuke in episode 1 running through my head and throwing me off.

Quote from: "Richie Likes Maids"The car that Yui drives is a WRX? It looks like a Subaru, but at first it looked like a Honda.

Reason why I wanna know is a secret.
It's kinda, but kinda not.  Sorta like how they have VF and Tekken inspired games, but they aren't exactly quite it.  I take it for a WRX primarily because of the hood.
-Tsubasa

magz

Just posting to re-iterate that the Initial D reference was epic and it caused me to marathon the series (currently on episode 4 of season 4).

I'm loving this show more and more. This season is packed to the brim with awesome shows.

LastElixir

hmm

Just finished watching ep 8. It felt like this episode was a little weaker than the other recent ones. It didn't cover too many references, and it felt like the whole episode lacked realism. The writing was cartoony and lacked some of the jazz I usually felt while watching this show.
Overall, it did cover some awesome events and it was a fun watch.

and it's all about MONKEY MAGIC!

j