masquerade skit advice...?

Started by Nina Star 9, April 11, 2007, 10:35:22 PM

Nina Star 9

i am planning on being in the masquerade (again) this year. the thing is, i am not sure what to do while on stage.

see, i am cosplaying from a j-rock video. it is a bit obscure (bodaiju PV amano tsukiko), and i will be by myself. it is rather difficult to do a skit by oneself, especially for j-rock, and j-rock that many people are not familiar with makes it even tougher.

i was planning on doing the same as i did last year- sing a portion of the song. however, last year the song was fairly easy to sing. but this song is very difficult to sing. i am afraid that i will not be able to pull it off. i do not want to have to do a walk-on, but i also do not want to be stuck singing a song that i am not sure if i even can sing.

what would my best course of action be? try to some up with another idea for a skit of some sort, do a walk-on (one of my main reasons against this is that because of a 10 foot train, i will need help getting on and off stage as to not ruin my train or fall to my death, and also, i am not comfortable with jsut doing this, i would rather do SOMETHING.), or attempt the song with lots of practice?

thank you. :D

DayDreamerNessa

it really depends on what you want to go for, really.

For me i try to have really good craftsmanship in my costume, and then try to have a skit to showcase the costume in an entertaining way. If i can't do a skit that i'm happy with i'd do a walk-on, without hesitation.

If it's more about the costume rather than performance, a bad performance=bad performance, and a simple walk-on is way better to showcase your costume, than a ok/bad performance IMO. Especially since some j-rock cosplays are really elaborate with intricate detail.

If you have doubt in your performance i'd say do a walk-on. Or if there is another person you could get to join with you to sing along as well?

Either way gl on your decision!
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

Kegan_Flame

can you like.. lip-sync? or is that frowned upon? cuz if you did somw sort of action to the song.. i've seen some REALLY good ones.. i dunno if ur allowed to?

Nina Star 9

thank you for your input.

i am mainly going for craftsmanship, yes, as i will have an elaborate hand-sewn costume.

one of the reasons why i am against doing a walk-on is that i have more confidence in my singing abilities than my posing on stage abilities. the biggest reason, however, is that i will need help moving around stage (i am not letting my 10 foot train drag behind me while i walk, i would fall on my face), and i would need to lift my skirts to walk, so i was planning originally on getting on stage, standing in one place while singing (while making it intresting with arm movements), and then getting off. doing a walk-on would make my trip and fall on my face and rip my train in half in the process, or at least with my luck it would.

is it acceptable to sing another song (as much as i LOVE this song, i was thinking of maybe singing the b-side on the single instead) that is related but not the exact song that the costume is from? the b-side has a bit less craziness in vocal range, and i would probably be able to handle it better.

though, the lip-sync idea does sound like it might be good. i think that i will practice singing it, though, and see how i do.

any other ideas on things i can do on stage that are not singing or a walk-on? thank you. :D

heeroyuy135

The best thing to do is pre-record all the dialogue that goes on...it beats doing it off of a memorized script or on the fly where errors can occur...at least you know that the dialogue is set and all you have to do is work on other aspects of the skit...

Nina Star 9

Quote from: "HeeroYuy135"The best thing to do is pre-record all the dialogue that goes on...it beats doing it off of a memorized script or on the fly where errors can occur...at least you know that the dialogue is set and all you have to do is work on other aspects of the skit...
hhmm..? i'm sorry, but are you in the wrong topic? i'm not having a skit at all. :/ i know to pre-record if i was having a skit, and i doubt i would pre-record if i was singing, anyway.